Roald Amundsen has started on the first Antarctic Cruise of the Season

AlanCruise

4 minutes ago, CraigShanklin said:

WNW…just curious when you return to Santiago? Are you at the Mandarin Oriental? If so, our paths will cross and we would love to say hi and hear more about your trip…before ours begins. Thanks again for all your helpful posts. Craig (and Diane)

That would be wonderful but we are downtown at the Ritz on the 12th.  😞 Next time! 

Being a Beta Tester: My family and I have considered ourselves the beta testers for this trip.  After an-almost- 2 year hiatus we are the first Antartica trip for H.  And it has had many ups and downs.   

Of course the ups are easy: smaller guest count, quieter ship, no crowds on landings.  

But the down sides are a bit harder: repairs to the ship might have been skipped, tonight the phone system is down, the app is a joke most of the time, skipping breakfast means nothing till lunch, and communication can be a bit rocky.  

We are still waiting for dis-embarkation instructions-most of that has to do with the U.S changing the rules mid cruise.  But I do wish there was some communication.  

I think lack of communication has been a big stumble for H. Im not sure if it has to do with them not knowing the plan till the last minute or if communication is their weak point, but even today people were confused about today's excursions, and many had questions about what to expect tomorrow.  This, to me, is the hardest part of beta testing. 

We have chosen to focus on the great time we are having: great people, awesome food, the best views in the world, and and people who love showing us these views! 

If you are next up on this cruise-be sure to pack your patience and flexibility!  A good attitude will be the difference between a great experience and a totally frustrating one.  

Hopefully you will submit your very valid comments to H on their report card.  We have had similar experiences with a lack of communication onboard their ships, as well as with their US headquarters.

We have also received conflicting responses depending on which representative we spoke to.

• Like 1

Thank you for taking us on the Journey with you. I will be on the January 11th sailing and had a few question about the arrival into Chile. I know things are consistently changing but I wanted to know your experience. How long did it take for your PCR results for the test taken in the airport when you landed? Trying to get a general idea of how long we will be in the hotel prior to being able to explore Santiago.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, cruiseboy243 said:

Thank you for taking us on the Journey with you. I will be on the January 11th sailing and had a few question about the arrival into Chile. I know things are consistently changing but I wanted to know your experience. How long did it take for your PCR results for the test taken in the airport when you landed? Trying to get a general idea of how long we will be in the hotel prior to being able to explore Santiago.

Thank you!

The airport PCR testing was actually (and surprisingly) fast.  They told us we'd get our results via email in 4 hours.  It didn't even take that long!  

You are required to go straight to the hotel till you get the results-and the hotels will demand proof of testing..but it wasn't bad.  

The worst part of the whole airport experience was the fact that no one knew which way was up.  One person lead us down the hall to the left only to turn us around and head to the right..then we needed more paperwork just to get out of the airport-which we thought was 1 per family but it was per person.  It was just a big 'ol mess.  

Im praying you guys on future cruises will have a smoother experience!  

Hot Tubs: Um YES!  Do not forget to pack your swim suits.  The experience of soaking in a hot tub while ice bergs and glaciers pass by is once in a life time experience! 

I might have drank all the Jack Daniel's on board...sorry not sorry!  😛 

As we get close to the end of our cruise I thought I'd take a second to praise the crew.  The growth and smoothness of the ship has been amazing in such a short time.  

Today was our final landing before we get back to Punta Arenas -and it was a tough one for the crew.  The winds are high, the seas are full of white caps, and the zodiac rides are wet and bumpy.  The crew was top notch from start to finish!  

We started getting notices very early that the ride to land was going to be bumpy and wet-suggestions went to each cabin on clothing and camera protection.  And man-they were not lying!  (pro tip: snow googles help during zodiac rides here) Here is the moment when the special hand grip is so important-following the guidelines and the crew will give you the safest boarding possible in crazy seas.  

We have a couple people on board with some walking issues-nothing bad but they need an extra hand in certain situations. The crew was aware of these guests and jumped into action be sure they were safely place into the zodiacs and back onboard the ship.  

I took a short hike to look at the animals and gardens,  and then gave up on fighting the wind.

I grabbed some take away lunch and now Im currently sitting in the lounge watching the world sail past.  

Sadly tomorrow we start the dis- embarkation process.  Time to turn in our boots and figure out when we need to take our PCR tests.  Man, back to reality stinks!  

4 hours ago, cruiseboy243 said:

How long did it take for your PCR results for the test taken in the airport when you landed? Trying to get a general idea of how

FYI, the Chile forum on Tripadvisor is very active with conversations from travelers’ current experiences entering Chile.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294291-i1357-Chile.html

This is my first post.  I cannot figure out how to do a reply.  
We are scheduled for January 11th.  I’m interested in more packing advice. I know snow pants and goggles for landings and comfortable clothes on board…and good books. 
How is the jacket?  What other layers do you recommend?

How are the boots?  Do they grip well or is there lots of slipping and twisted knees?

I saw that most dining tables are small. Often the dinner table is where friendships happen.  Did you interact and make friends on board. 

I look forward to every post and hope someone takes over for the next couple cruises.  Thank you so much for sharing!

Gaylee

12 hours ago, DemExplorers said:

This is my first post.  I cannot figure out how to do a reply.  
We are scheduled for January 11th.  I’m interested in more packing advice. I know snow pants and goggles for landings and comfortable clothes on board…and good books. 
How is the jacket?  What other layers do you recommend?

How are the boots?  Do they grip well or is there lots of slipping and twisted knees?

I saw that most dining tables are small. Often the dinner table is where friendships happen.  Did you interact and make friends on board. 

I look forward to every post and hope someone takes over for the next couple cruises.  Thank you so much for sharing!

Gaylee

Welcome!

I'll help where I can-as for packing-throw half of your clothes out of your suitcase.  Antartica is warm, almost hot at times.  1 pair of snow pants will be plenty for the whole trip.  1 good wool layer with a sweater and 2-3 pairs of warm sock will be enough.  The jackets they provide are also surprisingly warm.  (Pro tip-zip the pockets before your zodiac ride.  One poor guest learned the hard way his phone is not protected unless the pocket is zipped!)

Laundry service is available and only takes 24hrs to have it returned. 

As for the boots-H requires you use their boots.  They are heavy and hard on the ankles.  Hiking in these boots is hard-many hikes will be down the side of a snowy or icy mountain, and the weight of boots make it harder. But they are completely waterproof and warm which I think is the point.  If you have knee problems I'd suggest you bring a small brace just for some extra support.  Not the full metal one-just the slip on one you can get at a local drug store or amazon.  (I'm a year past my 3rd knee surgery and didn't need a brace-but bring one just incase!) 

The reason for the requirement is for sanitization.  After each landing you will go through a 'car wash' to clean the boots.  I think this is required not only to slow the spread of bacteria from one island to another, but also to stop the poop from coming onboard.  (Pro Tip: you will walk through a lot of poop on this trip!)

As for dinning: The tables vary in sizes-just the same as all ships.  While the crew prefer you to stay with your group for all meals (for covid and Chile regulations) --no one is demanding it.  Many times I've just picked up a table setting and went to a table with friends.  There is a crew member noting where you sit and who you sit with for contact tracing, but thats as 'pushy' as it's been.  

If you feel uncomfortable doing that you can always order take away and sit up at the lounge.  I've done that a few times too.  Its quiet and the views are wonderful! 

Other packing tip: Know yourself! Do you often feel a bit sore after a hike? Bring a small bottle of Advil. Do you tend to be hot/cold? Pack a light sweater or cardigan (just 1 or 2 not many) Do you get motion sickness? Pack a lot of Dramamine! 

Hope this helps

Last day aboard 😢 Yesterday was so cool! We saw a huge pod of Sei Whales.  At least 10 but I think many more.  They were close enough to the ship to see each water spout-what a cool encounter!  

Some info about Kayaking: Do it! What a fun excursion that was.  My group was lucky enough to have a shore launch making the first few minutes much easier than water launchings.  

It's very low key: get in grab your paddle and then follow the leader around and looking for wild life.  The whole trip was 2.5-3 hours long.  (pro tip: don't have the second cup of coffee before-no potty break happens during this!) 

I woke up this morning to an information overload-all before my coffee- it was hard! 

Each cabin was given color coded luggage tags (Same idea as other cruise lines) this color tells us when to have our luggage outside our cabin tonight, what time we must be off tomorrow morning, and what time our flight back is.  It was very well organized...although some still struggled to understand. 

My family is color 'green' so we are the second group off the ship and first flight back to Santiago.  We should land around 3pm.  Our checked luggage will be picked up by the crew tonight around 11pm then checked all the way through to Santiago.  Be sure to consider that when you pack-you won't see that suitcase again till then.  

Once in Santiago-If you have transfers through H they will pick you up at luggage and take you to the next spot.  

If you have connecting flights home-you will have to go grab your luggage and check them in again for the rest of your trip. 

If you have private arrangements: you are on your own after you grab your luggage. 

PCR Testing: (anyone else tired of these? It cant be just me...) 

Yesterday was crew testing day.  Since we didn't hear about any problems-Im assuming everyone tested negative.  

Today is all guest testing.  We each have a time slot to report to the medical office.  (Pro tip: check your time carefully.  Some on board have a 2am appointment-yep 2AM!)  The time will depend our your return home flight and your home country requirements.  

For me and my family-we test at 2pm today for Chile requirements-then since we are staying 1 night before a 11pm flight home on the 12th we will need another test.  That we must arrange on our own.  (I prefer to make private arrangements because I have trust issues....) Be sure you know what you need. Go by what your airline is requiring it will make things much simpler.  

Tomorrow we will have actual internet again-and I hope to add a few pictures finally!  

Safe Travels~

I've got one last 'pro tip' to give you on my last night aboard: The red jackets are yours to keep, but the patches are not, those must be returned on the last night. BUT if you want to keep your patch you can, they will charge $10 to your account for the replacement. 😜 

Ok what do I mean by the patch? When you get on board you will be divided into groups: this group will be very important.  Your group will be called for landings, and other events. (Each group is named after an antarctic wild animal.) You will get a velcro patch to place on the shoulder of your jacket to help the crew identify you and your group.  

DH and I are Black Browed Albatross-so that is a green patch with the name sewn across.  For each landing we wait till our group is called, then head down to catch the zodiac to land. (don't forget to press the 'PA' button on your cabin phone)  It's very organized when people wait their turn...but sometimes we had  a hard time getting to the launch because people just couldn't wait their turn.  

I asked around about purchasing my patch, and was told 'it's no problem-just don't return it', 'you will be charged a $10 fee but it's yours if you want it'      YAY! 

What if you are part of a group that prefer to go ashore together, but you're placed in different 'patch groups'?

We had this happen to us. My SIL is in a different group, we decided not to worry about trying to switch, but we were still were able to spend some time on land with her.  Not every landing, but I'm guessing 3 out of 5 landings we were able to be with her.  You'll have to decide how important that is for you.  

Well I think that is my last tip. I hope these have been helpful. I will post some pictures tomorrow once we get back to Santiago.  

Safe Travels~

Thank you so much for all the tips.  I’m looking forward to your pictures. We loved this virtual trip before our turn.  
Two more before we go. Who is the volunteer blogger for this next cruise?

I’m still a bit nervous that we could be cancelled by rule changes in Chile or the rattling in the ceiling. Tomorrow’s cruise is still on track?

Safe travels home. 

On 12/11/2021 at 4:46 AM, DemExplorers said:

Thank you so much for all the tips.  I’m looking forward to your pictures. We loved this virtual trip before our turn.  
Two more before we go. Who is the volunteer blogger for this next cruise?

I’m still a bit nervous that we could be cancelled by rule changes in Chile or the rattling in the ceiling. Tomorrow’s cruise is still on track?

Safe travels home. 

This is Craig…I’m on board the Roald Amundsen now (2nd cruise of the season) and happy to answer any questions. We only have 179 pax on board.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CraigShanklin said:

This is Craig…I’m on board the Roald Amundsen now (2nd cruise of the season) and happy to answer any questions. We only have 179 pax on board.

So glad to hear - you must have made it thru the Chile COVID process! Thanks for posting!

With only 179 on board (!), do you know if they’re allowing cabin upgrades?

I asked about upgrading our cabin a couple of months ago, but didn’t get an answer, so assumed they weren’t available.

44 minutes ago, karen11g said:

So glad to hear - you must have made it thru the Chile COVID process! Thanks for posting!

With only 179 on board (!), do you know if they’re allowing cabin upgrades?

I asked about upgrading our cabin a couple of months ago, but didn’t get an answer, so assumed they weren’t available.

I know of several pax that were automatically upgraded to nicer cabins with balconies.I would definitely check ahead of time (if you can connect with anyone from H) or once onboard. There are many empty cabins.

9 hours ago, CraigShanklin said:

I know of several pax that were automatically upgraded to nicer cabins with balconies.I would definitely check ahead of time (if you can connect with anyone from H) or once onboard. There are many empty cabins.

Hi

my friend and I are on the 1-28/22 cruise. We have a couple of questions. 

we arrive into Santiago the night before the cruise boarding. Do we do anything with H that day? 

what does the day we board the ship look like? When do we leave the hotel, how long in the airport before the flight and what if anything can we do in Puerto Arenas? 

when we were in Puerto Arenas in 2020 ( just before Covid broke) we took a great boat trip to an island and saw penguins. I would like to do this again if possible. 

What does  the last day look like? Arrival times into Santiago? We leave this day at 1030 pm. 

how cold abs wet has it been? Rain, snow, getting wet from riding in the zodiacs? 

thanks for your help. We are really looking forward to cruise. 

Betsy 

Hi,

We have a few questions too. 
1. What are people wearing at the outside gym? 
2. When you go on land, can you comment on the traction of the boots? Poles helpful or permitted?

3. What layers would you suggest under the coat ( that they provide)?

4. What was experience and duration of the Covid testing when landing at the Santiago airport? Time you had wait for results?

5. Will your cruise be able to stop at Stanley?

thank you very much!

Glenn

On 12/6/2021 at 6:10 PM, WholeNewWorld said:

My guess is yes-but from my own experiences I went for a downgrade without any problems.  I went from the grand suite to an aft suite and it was totally worth the loss for the ability to sleep!  

I pray everyone in the front suites has a better experiences-the views are amazing but the sounds are crazy...

Question about suites.

Did you have free laundry?

8 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Question about suites.

Did you have free laundry?

I was on this page on the Hurtigruten site a few days ago: 

https://www.hurtigruten.com/our-ships/ms-roald-amundsen/practical-information/

It says laundry is free for suite guests. Would love to be in a suite! We’re hoping for an upgrade to a balcony if the ship is still pretty empty by the Jan 11 sailing.

On 12/15/2021 at 5:04 PM, Greg and Betsy said:

Hi

my friend and I are on the 1-28/22 cruise. We have a couple of questions. 

we arrive into Santiago the night before the cruise boarding. Do we do anything with H that day? 

what does the day we board the ship look like? When do we leave the hotel, how long in the airport before the flight and what if anything can we do in Puerto Arenas? 

when we were in Puerto Arenas in 2020 ( just before Covid broke) we took a great boat trip to an island and saw penguins. I would like to do this again if possible. 

What does  the last day look like? Arrival times into Santiago? We leave this day at 1030 pm. 

how cold abs wet has it been? Rain, snow, getting wet from riding in the zodiacs? 

thanks for your help. We are really looking forward to cruise. 

Betsy 

I'm the SIL who went along on the voyage...

As soon as you reach the hotel, H will administer their own PCR test, and then expect you to quarantine in your room until it's time to board the buses to the airport. Once in Punta Arenas, you'll board buses and be taken to the port where you'll get another Covid test and then embark.

H really works on building a covid "bubble". They weren't happy that I left the hotel and walked down to the Plaza del Armas and back. It's fairly intense.

On that note, expect lots and lots of covid tests. The running joke was "my nose stopped bleeding, it must be time for another test."

The weather was much warmer than I expected it to be.  But, of course, that can change.  I was roasting hot in wool tights, silk thermals, and my water proof pants. It can get really wet on the zodiacs -- the crew will tell you if it will be wet or not.  If they say to expect to get wet, expect waves to be splashing you. 

The final day we got back to Santiago around 3 pm.  Some passengers checked their luggage in and continued on to the US that evening. We stayed one night in Santiago before heading home.