Cozumel tour to San Gervasio Mayan Ruins

This Cozumel excursion is on sale today but I can’t find any reviews from cruisers. We want to incorporate the beach in any tour we do and this does. But we’re looking for any feedback from fellow cruisers. Thanks in advance. 

Or possibly any other tours you have done and can recommend 

It really depends on what you're looking for - there just isn't that much there at San Gervasio.  There are a number of options to visit the Tulum site that include a beach break, with the added bonus of Playa del Carmen.  Pro tip: save your souvenir shopping for Playa (cheaper prices at several stores), and stop by Karen's for a snack (or a meal) to enjoy real air conditioning! 😁

Karen's (page is in Spanish)

Enjoy!          --bruce T.

There were recent reviews of this tour on the Cozumel port board. Over the years different beaches have been used - I think recently it may have been Punta Morena on the east side?

Agree with previous poster, San Gervasio are very small ruins and many are disappointed with their visit. We enjoyed them but they are certainly not a “first time must-do” activity. We visited with a private driver from ToursPlaza as we prefer to be in charge of our own itinerary and timing. Also you get to pick your own beach.

Mainland ruins should certainly only be done via  the cruiseline but we would only do mainland tours while staying in the mainland - too much wasted time traveling for us.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

If you are looking for a massive ancient site with pyramids and a city this is not the place.

San Gervasio is a place where the Mayan women traveled to and honored a female goddess of femininity and fertility named Ixchel.  There are lots of excellent photo opportunities so do bring a camera.

You get a nice bus ride to the site and see the windward side of the island and at the site you get to feel the heat of the jungle.  The tour guide may also point out the stop known as the Pee Pee Station.

Your tour guide will give you a good introduction to Mayan history and of Cozumel and will take you around the ruins explaining many things in detail. It is very interesting and very informative without any really strenuous activity.

Then after you have seen it all there's a bus ride to a local Playa and a free drink as you relax and enjoy local music, maybe a few dancers and the extremely fine powdery sand and warm water of Cozumel. 

To us it was a very informative and entertaining way to spend a few hours .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I very much enjoyed San Gervasio. As mentioned, it's not huge site with pyramids, but it's remarkably interesting. We went because we were tired of taking that dadgum ferry to Playa del Carmen and spending most of our day on the road, but San Gervasio proved to be a very pleasant surprise. It's one of my favorite Mayan sites. I'd happily go back. 

Just to compare, Tulum is my favorite Mayan site by far. It's phenomenal. However, I don't think I'll ever be in the mood to day trip back over there from Cozumel while on a cruise. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. 

may I make a suggestion that has helped me in the past?  cut and paste the title of excursion and put "carnival excursions" on it.  You will be directed to carnival website where there are actual reviews from cruisers rather then suspicious 5 star ones on TripAdvisor and google. Granted some of those are suspicious as well but for the most part, they are pretty accurate.

edit:  https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cozumel/ultimate-combo-mayan-ruins-snorkeling--lunch-304279

here's an example.  Maybe not the exact tour but has some info.

Edited by jean87510