Celebrity vs Princess for 30-somethings

Hedgeclipperz

22 minutes ago, Hedgeclipperz said:

Thank you! Yesterday I DID try to fall down some rabbit holes and look at MDR menus. I am having a harder time finding new (like, post 2017) menus for Princess MDR, for whatever reason. At least what i'm seeing, it looks like Celebrity dinner food might be more adventurous?  Maybe?

Celebrity is very free with the creative license, so what they describe might not be what you are used to.  So keep that in mind when you look through celebrity’s menu.

6 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Never sailed in higher than a inside on Celebrity and have dinner from the MDR via room service several times just call when the dining room opens; maybe changed since pandemic.  Been told they do it for lunch too when the dining room is open for lunch but never experienced that.

It's a good thing everyone doesn't try to stretch the limits as to what they can get, beyond what if offered as far as room service goes.  Hope you are doubling up on the tips then.

• Haha 1

Can anyone tell me what they think of the adults only pool area on Reflection? (asking the same question over on Princess boards). 

Is it calm and enjoyable, can you grab a seat easily? 

(I LOVED the adults pool on Disney, but felt like it was totally insane on RCCL!). 

PS:sorry if this gets double posted- I pushed submit then it disappeared, not sure if its my computer glitching or what, LOL!

6 minutes ago, Hedgeclipperz said:

Can anyone tell me what they think of the adults only pool area on Reflection? (asking the same question over on Princess boards). 

(I LOVED the adults pool on Disney, but felt like it was totally insane on RCCL!). 

PS:sorry if this gets double posted- I pushed submit then it disappeared, not sure if its my computer glitching or what, LOL!

The Solarium is generally quiet, however, the nappers tend to claim their beds early and sometimes you have to do a well being check to see if they are indeed napping or need medical. It is calm and enjoyable although I wouldn't say its always easy to get a chair, especially on hot days or when there are rain showers.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Hedgeclipperz said:

The adults only Pool area on the Reflection is called the Solarium, is my favorite area of the ship.  It's an indoor pool area, protected from cold, rainy, windy, etc conditions on the main deck.  I don't think you will find a similar indoor area on the Princess ships.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I've been hearing the younger folks are various threads concerned the music is being tailored to the "older crowd" which I'm assuming includes folks like me in our late 60s. I feel your pain. When we first started cruising back in 2012 on HAL, we were saying the same thing. For many of the evening shows, their production shows were centered around Frank Sinatra, Count Basie and the Big Band Sound from the 30s and 40s. After a while, we would ask ourselves, when will it be our turn? Then about 5 years ago, HAL updated their music themes, jumped right over our late 60s-80s music and started targeting the "younger" millennial generation. That's when we switched to Celebrity and Princess. 

So, for us folks in the "older crowd" like my DW and I, shows like Rockumentary as well as many of their other production shows which include music from the late 60s through the 80s we actually know the words to, I'm happy to say it's finally "our turn". 😎

I turned 65 a few weeks ago. I most assuredly prefer Count Basie and the Big Band Era (Stan Kenton is actually my favorite, probably related to having met him a few times). But that is what I grew up playing…until I figured out I have neither the talent nor the artistic drive necessary to be a professional musician at that level.

Point is that I’m not sure the generalities about “old folks” music apply that broadly (although I’m almost always wrong when it comes to cultural tastes). Our son (31 years old) prefers late ‘60s rock to the popular music from his adolescence.

12 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I turned 65 a few weeks ago. I most assuredly prefer Count Basie and the Big Band Era (Stan Kenton is actually my favorite, probably related to having met him a few times). But that is what I grew up playing…until I figured out I have neither the talent nor the artistic drive necessary to be a professional musician at that level.

Point is that I’m not sure the generalities about “old folks” music apply that broadly (although I’m almost always wrong when it comes to cultural tastes). Our son (31 years old) prefers late ‘60s rock to the popular music from his adolescence.

I can definitely understand why your son prefers late 60s rock, and that’s fine if you like to listen to the music from the 40s. But if you’re expecting the music from that era to reappear in Celebrity production shows, you may be disappointed. But I will say the theater was packed on the Apex when we watched their Rockumentary show with music from the late 60s through the 80s on both legs of our B2B last month. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

The adults only Pool area on the Reflection is called the Solarium, is my favorite area of the ship.  It's an indoor pool area, protected from cold, rainy, windy, etc conditions on the main deck.  I don't think you will find a similar indoor area on the Princess ships.

I have limited experience on Princess but really enjoyed the indoor pool area on the Sapphire. I think it’s similar on a number of their ships. It’s a must for me in colder climates 

13 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

It's a good thing everyone doesn't try to stretch the limits as to what they can get, beyond what if offered as far as room service goes.  Hope you are doubling up on the tips then.

PS  Thanks for the advice but you don't know me.  Worked in service industry since age 13; don't ask for extras; reward standard service.

6 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

PS  Thanks for the advice but you don't know me.  Worked in service industry since age 13; don't ask for extras; reward standard service.

Show me where it says the MDR melas are available through room service? I would really like to see that so I can inform another.