Tokyo-- Fabric Shopping with Reckless abandon!

WholeNewWorld

Hi there!  God willing I will be in Tokyo March 18th as part of Oceania's Around The World cruise.  

I want to spend the day fabric shopping for me and a few family members.  I know the area is not far from the port-but I don't know the common rules of shopping around there, or the language!  😛 

I'd like to hire someone to walk around with me: to translate, and show me the best stores to shop at.  

Do you have any suggestions-or maybe you have a friend/family member there that wouldn't mind showing me around for a day?  

Thanks!

Sorry for the negativity, but please do not get your hopes up for a Tokyo visit in 2022.

Although Japan was beginning to open the door just a bit for Business Visitors and Students, the new Omicron arrival slammed the door shut again.

There is a very good chance that American Passport holders will not be allowed to visit Japan - for any reason - for quite some time.

At this point, even Japanese Passport holders and Permanent Residents are struggling to get out of and back into Japan.

As of 06 December, no international cruise ships have received permission to visit Japan in 2022.

Edited by BruceMuzz
  • Like 1

I am afraid at the moment not only Japan is closed to tourists but also China South Korea and Hong Kong.

We are booked on this leg part if the RTW Oceania cruise and are still wondering how Oceania is planning to allow our part of the cruise to go ahead.

You might want to sign up to the RTW roll call.

Rosalyn

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Japanese National Tourist Organisation used to offer the services of GOODWILL GUIDES, registered volunteers who offered to accompany tourists around. I think the organisation tried to match language skills and interests wherever possible.

I seem to remember that they were not allowed to accept cash payment, but you would obviously pay for things like their transport, snacks, lunch, entrance fees etc and bring a gift from your country as a "thank you".

Try searching GOODWILL GUIDES or similar and maybe add the word Tokyo

Sorry this is all a bit vague but could  be worth a try..

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 9:10 AM, edinburgher said:

The Japanese National Tourist Organisation used to offer the services of GOODWILL GUIDES, registered volunteers who offered to accompany tourists around. I think the organisation tried to match language skills and interests wherever possible.

I seem to remember that they were not allowed to accept cash payment, but you would obviously pay for things like their transport, snacks, lunch, entrance fees etc and bring a gift from your country as a "thank you".

Try searching GOODWILL GUIDES or similar and maybe add the word Tokyo

Sorry this is all a bit vague but could  be worth a try..

JNTO still offers this service - and it is wonderful.

But since Japan remains closed to outside visitors, you will not be able to use this service for the time being.

Hopefully by 2023 Japan will be open to tourism again.

• 3 weeks later...