Should I change this flight? Arr Ft Lauderdale 7:00am, flight dep 11:20, Canadian COVID testing TBD

Raisinette

Hello,

I realize COVID requirements may change before April/22, however this is my situation. My flights are booked through EZ Air.

We'll dock in Fort Lauderdale at 7:00am and I have an 11:20 flight back to Canada. I'll need a negative COVID test in order to board the flight.  Assuming nothing changes between now and April (!), do I have sufficient time to do the PCR test at the port when I disembark and make my flight?

thanks!

Becky

Yes. I would definitely change to a later flight. We got off the regal princess yesterday and it docked at 7:00 am. We used EZAIR and signed up for transfers through princess. They told us to meet at princess live at 8:10 am. We disembarked very quickly and waited our turn to be tested. My test was completed by 8:25. But then we had to wait and wait for our test results. I got mine by 9:42 am and my daughter didn’t get hers until 10:12 am. Luckily our flight wasn’t until 1:30 pm. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Raisinette said:

Hello,

I realize COVID requirements may change before April/22, however this is my situation. My flights are booked through EZ Air.

We'll dock in Fort Lauderdale at 7:00am and I have an 11:20 flight back to Canada. I'll need a negative COVID test in order to board the flight.  Assuming nothing changes between now and April (!), do I have sufficient time to do the PCR test at the port when I disembark and make my flight?

thanks!

Becky

Yes you do.  But forget about Princess tfr... just grab one of the many cabs.  Just get off early to get early test.  Should be max 1 hr for result.  If EZ-Air lets you book flight, it is legit and Princess will take care of you if the unexpected or unusual happens.  The other thing is ... no gty... but PCR test may be gone before April if full vaxxed.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes you do.  But forget about Princess tfr... just grab one of the many cabs.  Just get off early to get early test.  Should be max 1 hr for result.  If EZ-Air lets you book flight, it is legit and Princess will take care of you if the unexpected or unusual happens.  The other thing is ... no gty... but PCR test may be gone before April if full vaxxed.

Thanks for the feedback.  We often grab a cab there which is why I was initially comfortable booking the 11:20 flight.  I've decided to switch to the next flight anyhow, a 12:20 departure.  I'd love if the PCR requirement was gone by then! Some more finger crossing!

20 minutes ago, Raisinette said:

Thanks for the feedback.  We often grab a cab there which is why I was initially comfortable booking the 11:20 flight.  I've decided to switch to the next flight anyhow, a 12:20 departure.  I'd love if the PCR requirement was gone by then! Some more finger crossing!

I didn't mention we have NEXUS and get to use TSA Pre as well. I wouldn't even leave ship before 9am for and 11:20 flight, I think I could leave earlier and get the test done okay.  But everyone needs to go with their own comfort level. I know bags need to be there 1 hr ahead.  Inexplicably, Cdn airlines do not participate in the express bag check from the port.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes you do.  But forget about Princess tfr... just grab one of the many cabs.  Just get off early to get early test.  Should be max 1 hr for result.

i think someone recently posted that the line was long and they waited til everyone was swabbed to start testing. Took longer than an hour. 
i can't find the post rt now - If I do, I'll link it.  

Just now, CruisinFinsUp said:

i think someone recently posted that the line was long and they waited til everyone was swabbed to start testing. Took longer than an hour. 
i can't find the post rt now - If I do, I'll link it.  

Now that seems inefficient or it is the same small number of people doing both tasks?  Yikes.  Too bad Princess not doing at least some of them on board.  

Grrr... darn PCR.  All Feds are trying to do is stop people from traveling.  

I still say Princess needs to know this fast as numbers are just going to keep going up each sailing heading into Winter.  More LH not knowing the RH.  Outsourcing not meeting demand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Now that seems inefficient or it is the same small number of people doing both tasks?  Yikes.  Too bad Princess not doing at least some of them on board.  

Grrr... darn PCR.  All Feds are trying to do is stop people from traveling.  

I still say Princess needs to know this fast as numbers are just going to keep going up each sailing heading into Winter.  More LH not knowing the RH.  Outsourcing not meeting demand.

11:20 is pushing it in my opinion.  

To the OP - get off the ship as early as you can - walk off with luggage if possible.  

We've done early walkoff, cab to the airport,  lineup to checkin / drop luggage at the Air Canada desk (one desk for every flight going to Canada, with all ships disembarking on the weekend - it was Packed!),  then maybe had 30 - 45 min before the 11:30 flight. 

Add a covid test to that and well .... I don't see where the extra needed time will come from.  
You may be ok in April, but who knows.  

I think the "results in an hour" is misleading anyways. 

Doesn't consider many variables:

-disembarkation time / delays - there is no instruction to get off early and get going to be tested .... 

-luggage delays

-customs & immigration delays

-lineup for testing - do you have to wait for an hour in line? 

-lab mixups / delays

etc etc 

If Mr. Murphy can screw it up, he will. Then  people who don't think things thru will get off "whenever", be delayed, and surprised when they miss their flights.   "But they said an hour" will be heard...  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

11:20 is pushing it in my opinion.  

To the OP - get off the ship as early as you can - walk off with luggage if possible.  

We've done early walkoff, cab to the airport,  lineup to checkin / drop luggage at the Air Canada desk (one desk for every flight going to Canada, with all ships disembarking on the weekend - it was Packed!),  then maybe had 30 - 45 min before the 11:30 flight. 

Add a covid test to that and well .... I don't see where the extra needed time will come from.  
You may be ok in April, but who knows.  

I think the "results in an hour" is misleading anyways. 

Doesn't consider many variables:

-disembarkation time / delays - there is no instruction to get off early and get going to be tested .... 

-luggage delays

-customs & immigration delays

-lineup for testing - do you have to wait for an hour in line? 

-lab mixups / delays

etc etc 

If Mr. Murphy can screw it up, he will. Then  people who don't think things thru will get off "whenever", be delayed, and surprised when they miss their flights.   "But they said an hour" will be heard...  

I hear you, but there is no outside lab involved AFAIK.  The test is done right there.  Not saying this to argue the flight time.  

Edited by Steelers36

51 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I hear you, but there is no outside lab involved AFAIK.  The test is done right there.  Not saying this to argue the flight time.  

Yes, for sure, that may be the case (today) ....  but personally I'm way too risk averse (chicken!) to chance it, and thus can't recommend anyone else do it either.  

It may be ok.  Or it may not.  Given the great deal of uncertainty,  I think the OP should hear worst case scenario and decide for themselves if they, in their personal circumstances, are willing to take the risk or not.  Some folks are better at luck and taking chances.   My luck sucks! 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Thanks for asking this question, I too booked the 11:20 flight for my flight home after my cruise on April 9.  

Just wondering if the PCR test is required  to re-enter the US - or is it so that you can board your Air Canada flight?  If it is Air Canada,  what about this option?  

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-offers-industry-s-most-comprehensive-travel-testing-options-in-partnership-with-switch-health-including-self-administered-tests-822868103.html

My understanding is that you do a video call with this company, conduct the PCR test on yourself  and have results back in about 45 minutes.  Was wondering if this type of test could be done in one's stateroom once the ship arrives in Lauderdale?  

Edited by kmhkmb
Added the timeframe for results
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, kmhkmb said:

Thanks for asking this question, I too booked the 11:20 flight for my flight home after my cruise on April 9.  

Just wondering if the PCR test is required  to re-enter the US - or is it so that you can board your Air Canada flight?  If it is Air Canada,  what about this option?  

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-offers-industry-s-most-comprehensive-travel-testing-options-in-partnership-with-switch-health-including-self-administered-tests-822868103.html

My understanding is that you do a video call with this company, conduct the PCR test on yourself  and have results back in about 45 minutes.  Was wondering if this type of test could be done in one's stateroom once the ship arrives in Lauderdale?  

No, you only need Rapid Antigen (supervised or medically collected) test to enter USA.  Yes, AC will require it to board.  I have not been to YYZ lately, but you may need it to check-in or get past security.  Remember, you also interact with US CBP before you get to gate and they should be looking for test proof. You do not need a test coming off the cruise ship per se (say to stay in FL).

Switch Health is the organization that was doing the tests for Health Canada that they were handing out at land borders to take at home during the imposed 14-day quarantine.  I believe they were given out at airport as well.  They probably still do this for people who are required to do additional testing or be quarantined.

The offered RT-LAMP test could be purchased at home, ahead of travel, and taken on the cruise and used sometime prior to returning to port.  You'd have to check the operational hours, but the test is clearly eligible for re-entry to Canada.  It is probably the same or similar type of test being done at the port after disembarking.  You could do it the day before and it would meet guideline of within 72 hrs of return to Canada.

So, for $300 cost, a couple could do that.  A lot of money when Princess is doing it for free.  But if important to make earliest flight out possible, then I suppose it is another cost to factor into the vacation.  At that price, I would not want to be buying extra back-ups in case of a failure at one step.

If staying in FL longer such that the Princess test expires before flying home, I'd be going to Walgreens or somewhere like it for a free test instead of paying $300. 

• Thanks 1

We are cruising December 29th and Princess booked our flight to return to Canada from Fort Lauderdale at 11:55. Our travel agent called Princess because of the tight timing to get tested etc and they assured him it was fine. I’m not so sure about that!  However, Princess rep said we were covered if we missed our flight due to a delay on their part.  

But to change flights would have been costly so based on Princess having booked it, we are going to try not to worry about it. We aren’t in a rush to get back home so if we miss our flight it’s not a big deal, as long as Princess stays true to their promise and covers any expenses. 

• Like 1

Just to make it clear us Canadians need a PCR test to get back into Canada and only a Antigen test to fly.  A recent poster after your question was a Canadian and they did not get their results until 8 pm.  They ended up changing their flight to the next day.

I am suppose to sail on Feb  28 and normally would book an 11:00 am and grab a cab and have lots of time.  I have booked EZ air out of Ft Lauderdale for 1:00 and am still not sure that will allow enough time as there will be double the Canadian Cruisers in February .  Not that I doubt that Princess will take care of us if we miss the flight ( not sure of that either till it happens) it is just the stress of worrying about it.  It is easy to say we will not worry but we do.

I really want to cruise again and think I can handle all the hoops to go through and after reading about the Breakaway  the thought of testing positive and having to quarantine before I can go home. My goodness I am slapping my head to make these thoughts go away.LOL.

2 hours ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

See #11 in the above post. He shows a company that's close to the port with almost instant results. Costs $$, but how much is peace of mind worth?

BTW: The video from Don in that post talks about how everyone was testing positive because they were getting exhaust fumes from traffic going by the outdoors testing station.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

13 hours ago, Happytobeme2 said:

We are cruising December 29th and Princess booked our flight to return to Canada from Fort Lauderdale at 11:55. Our travel agent called Princess because of the tight timing to get tested etc and they assured him it was fine. I’m not so sure about that!  However, Princess rep said we were covered if we missed our flight due to a delay on their part.  

But to change flights would have been costly so based on Princess having booked it, we are going to try not to worry about it. We aren’t in a rush to get back home so if we miss our flight it’s not a big deal, as long as Princess stays true to their promise and covers any expenses. 

Just so you realize, Princess does not book flights for guests.  You may use EZ-Air service to book a flight under Princess website umbrella (via Cruise Personalizer).  It was likely your TA that booked the flight for you since it sounds like you weren't directly involved.  Most people book their own flights and then monitor times and prices in the Cruise Personalizer.  A lot of TA's will prefer not to book airfare as they get no commission. 

But, yes, if you have an EZ-Air flight and something goes wrong on Princess end to make you miss flight, then they take care of re-booking or even overnight stay to get you home.  Not saying you will like the replacement flight times and route, but you could try advocating for something different. 

Aside - It will be pretty dumb if half a load of Canadians heading north from FLL on AC or WJ miss the morning flights because of inefficient testing process.  Those costs to Princess will smarten them up, but I wish they would be more pro-active about it in the first place.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

See #11 in the above post. He shows a company that's close to the port with almost instant results. Costs $$, but how much is peace of mind worth?

BTW: The video from Don in that post talks about how everyone was testing positive because they were getting exhaust fumes from traffic going by the outdoors testing station.

He exaggerated a little. I was one of the Canadians being tested there that morning. My husband even met Don. Everyone in our party of 7 tested negative. There were A LOT of positives though which make me realize how lucky we were. And i know that one of the ladies who tested positive told me on Facebook that she and her party of four paid to retest at their hotel afterwards and got negative results. The lady at the desk was dropping papers on the ground and had a stack of positives and a stack of negatives and both stacks of papers looked the same thickness. My daughter said to he “omg there must be at least 10 positive” and the lady sort of stage whispered “way more” then said “I can’t say anything”. It felt pretty chaotic at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1