San Francisco -possible to drop bags and then go to Alcatraz?

We are due  to join the Queen Elizabeth next July in San Francisco.  From what I can work out I think the cruise port is quite near where the ferry to Alcatraz leaves from. Although we are in town  for a few days  prior , I'm thinking that, in theory, it would be easy enough to schedule Alcatraz for the day we embark. 

But there is of course the luggage problem.  Is it possible to check in the luggage first, go and do Alcatraz and return to board ourselves in the afternoon?  Obviously we only want minimum luggage on Alcatraz (and I know they don't have lockers)  I know none of us know what testing regime will exist at  the time so lets just ignore that. We're happy to board later - we're on a long cruise we don't need to rush on. I also don't expect it to be that busy for embarkation as the cruise is coming from an Alaskan season some some will already be on board. 

Or would it be simpler just  to leave the luggage at the hotel and uber back there to collect it? 

Yes, the Alcatraz ferry pier is essentially next to the Cruise Terminal. 

I have no idea when you would be able to drop bags...probably by 11am, maybe sooner. To go to Alcatraz you need to book tickets well in advance...months. So you would need to be booking, say 12noon at the earliest. You will be spending a 2-3 hours on the Rock. Does that fit your sailing and all aboard schedule?

I think, to assure you get to Alcatraz without the logistical challenges, that you should plan on visiting on one of your earlier days in your stay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, the Alcatraz ferry pier is essentially next to the Cruise Terminal. 

I have no idea when you would be able to drop bags...probably by 11am, maybe sooner. To go to Alcatraz you need to book tickets well in advance...months. So you would need to be booking, say 12noon at the earliest. You will be spending a 2-3 hours on the Rock. Does that fit your sailing and all aboard schedule?

I think, to assure you get to Alcatraz without the logistical challenges, that you should plan on visiting on one of your earlier days in your stay.

Hmm 11am is pretty late. According to the cruise port itinerary we are not due to leave until 7pm- but I don't know how accurate that is.  

Is there any left-luggage storage at  the cruise port of nearby?  Maybe we should just leave the bags at the hotel do the first alcatraz cruise which I think is 9am and then   return via our hotel to board. 

Yes I know you have to book months in advance - that's what got me thinking about this  crazy level of planning in advance LOL. I normally barely book a hotel in advance! 

47 minutes ago, lissie said:

Hmm 11am is pretty late. According to the cruise port itinerary we are not due to leave until 7pm- but I don't know how accurate that is.  

Is there any left-luggage storage at  the cruise port of nearby?  Maybe we should just leave the bags at the hotel do the first alcatraz cruise which I think is 9am and then   return via our hotel to board. 

Yes I know you have to book months in advance - that's what got me thinking about this  crazy level of planning in advance LOL. I normally barely book a hotel in advance! 

I am sure your hotel will hold your bags. Its means a backtrack, but doing it by Uber would be good.

There have been reports of luggage storage at Pier 39, but I have no experience with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I am sure your hotel will hold your bags. Its means a backtrack, but doing it by Uber would be good.

There have been reports of luggage storage at Pier 39, but I have no experience with it.

I'dfound references to pier 39 as well - but their website says they don't do it - whether  that is a permanent or temporary change I don't know.   I'll ask around when we get to SF too I think.  But I think I will book Alcatraz for that day 

10 hours ago, lissie said:

I'dfound references to pier 39 as well - but their website says they don't do it - whether  that is a permanent or temporary change I don't know.   I'll ask around when we get to SF too I think.  But I think I will book Alcatraz for that day 

I think the location for the bag storage is called a "Visitor's Center" or something like that, that is located at Pier 39.