Sitka excursions for disabled?

Traveller20074

I believe that the cruise dock at Sitka is outside of town, with a shuttle (my visit this year wasn't part of a cruise).

Are you partially ambulatory? St. Michael's Cathedral and the Russian Bishop's House are right in the center of town, but there are a few steps up to the entrance of the cathedral and I don't remember whether there's a ramp. The Russian Bishop's House has a small museum on the ground floor that might accommodate a wheelchair, but the bishop's residence, with 19th-century furniture and artifacts, is on the upper floor with a fairly steep staircase.  BTW, the lower floor is open all day for everyone, but the upper floor is visited in small-group tours for which timed tickets (free, as it's a National Park Service property) are issued. The Alaska Raptor Center is accessible, although most of the birds on display will be outdoors, some around a deck and others along an unpaved path. It's outside the central area and far enough that I, with Achilles tendonitis at the time, used a taxi in both directions. There are van tours of the major sights, generally including the Fortress of the Bear, which is farther out, that would work if you're able to get into and out of a van.

Sitka is a great place for seeing whales and other marine wildlife from small boats. It typically takes one big step up and then two down to get into one of the boats, then only a few steps to get to a seat in the cabin.