Missing Ship During Itinerary QQ...

Bo1953

I have not read all of the fine print yet, but wanted to find out if any company offers coverage to catch up with the ship if you miss the departure time due to unforeseen circumstances like an accident returning from a private tour or your watch has the incorrect time or something similar???

TIA and bon voyage

Nationwide has some policies with cruise specific benefits like itinerary change, disruption of shipboard services, or one called “inconvenience,” but I have not seen anything that would cover missing the ship mid-cruise. In any case, if such coverage  existed it would most likely cover something beyond your control like an accident, not just a mistake like failing to note the time. 

It might come under trip delay or trip interruption, but I think you’d have to miss several days of your cruise to qualify.

It is a good question. Maybe Steve will see it and answer.

13 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I have not read all of the fine print yet, but wanted to find out if any company offers coverage to catch up with the ship if you miss the departure time due to unforeseen circumstances like an accident returning from a private tour or your watch has the incorrect time or something similar???

TIA and bon voyage

Hi Bo1953,

If you have a covered Trip Interruption reason, you are covered under the Trip Interruption benefit and potentially may have a Trip Delay claim paid, too.

If it's not a covered reason like your watch has the incorrect time, there's no benefit.

You wouldn't need a so-called "Cruise Insurance plan" because any good plan will already include the Trip Interruption and Trip Delay benefits.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

Cruise specific plans do not have a line-item benefit for missing the ship after a day in port anyway. If it is a covered reason, it may come under trip interruption or trip delay as in any other travel policy. Travel delay also has a time element applied before coverage is effective so there are a lot of moving parts to this question.

It depends on whether it is a covered reason and how long it takes you to catch up. 

On the other hand, standard policies do not cover changes in itinerary or disruption of ship services so the choice of a policy depends on what you consider to be the most important risks to cover. I tend to think such add-ons are a distraction intended to attract cruisers to an otherwise average policy.