Do I need to bring my own walking poles?

Sitti

Hello, 

I'll be on Le Commandant Charcot - The Ross Sea 02/2022. I was just reviewing the packing checklist, it noticed "Walking poles (highly recommended)".

I'm confused. Don't they have walking poles for guests to use?  I believe they have snowshoeing as part of activities. If they have snowshoes, shouldn't they have poles as well? If I really need to bring mine, I'll have to order the new ones.

Thank you

We did Antartica a few years ago on Ponant and did not use poles, however they didn’t supply them either. I believe you can buy form the Ponant store.

In saying that Le Commandant Charcot is a brand new ship and is only on its second cruise, so I doubt anyone here would have any information on the activities and what they supply. Snowshoeing is certainly not offered on the standard polar expeditions.

You might be best to ask Ponant if they are supplied, assuming that you are reading the standard packing list.

Edited by gogo65
  • Thanks 2

No poles on Le Lyrial in 2019 - I packed a cheap pair that fitted perfectly into my luggage. Would recommend to bring at least one 

also would recommend to keep a close eye to Ponants and Argentina‘s requirements for traveling as those can chance quickly with Omicron cases going up. Chile is requiring the booster from 1 January for example 

Edited by schnapperin
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, schnapperin said:

No poles on Le Lyrial in 2019 - I packed a cheap pair that fitted perfectly into my luggage. Would recommend to bring at least one 

also would recommend to keep a close eye to Ponants and Argentina‘s requirements for traveling as those can chance quickly with Omicron cases going up. Chile is requiring the booster from 1 January for example 

Thanks schnapperin. I have just ordered cheap pair of poles.

Could you please post a link to info on Chile is requiring the booster from Jan 1st? I couldn't find it. If this new requirement applies to me, it will be really bad.

22 hours ago, schnapperin said:

Oh were you referring to Ponant's new requirement from 1/1 required booster 6 months after second dose?

I had my second dose on October. I believe I should be ok with this new requirement.

11.PNG

On the TripAdvisor Antartica Forum someone commented that Chile would require the booster from 1st January 2022 - but that could also be after the 6 month after second dose period.

i would follow closely what France decide about the validation of the French health pass (pass sanitare or so) regarding the 6 month period as it seems Ponant follows those rules (J&J decision and over 65 for example)