repositioning - Traditional Ireland on the Amsterdam

questor

We are doing the May 9 New York to Copenhagen transatlantic cruise on the Amsterdam. This is our first HAL cruise and first transatlantic; ports are St. Johns/NF, Cork, Dublin, Dover, Amsterdam, Oslo. Any comments on this type cruise/itinerary? HAL is only in St. Johns a couple of hours and does not offer and tour. We loved Oslo when we were there two years ago. This time the Oslo port day will be the day of our 30th anniversary.

Interesting itinerary. We've been to Dublin, Dover, and Oslo. Great things to see in each port. You can do them on your own, or take a ship tour if you're more comfortable with that. I wonder why the St. John's is such a short stop? It doesn't seem like enough time for pax to get off and get back on ... let alone walk around town a bit.

I've been to all those ports several times, and bounced across the Atlantic---also several times.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to ask about? I'd be happy to answer a more specific question. Other than that my comments are quite general, and my opinion. That opinion is: I love crossing the Atlantic on the northern route. You will have many sea days in which to relax. The worst part is that east-bound you lose 6 hours sleep. Yuck.

We really loved Oslo as we toured on our own and were able to linger at the two sites we visited (Viking ships and open air museum of folk buildings) instead of rushing from place to place. Overall, we prefer to arrange our own tours. Any suggestions would be welcome.

We have been to Dover and Dover Castle before, but on land tours, so we were wondering how far things were/ground transportation. Same with Amsterdam - we will probably go to the Van Gogh museum as we have seen the Rijks a couple of times. We have been looking at maps and guidebooks, but the personal experience is the best.

Ireland is entirely new for us and the main reason we booked.

We are looking forward to the sea days as so many of our trips have had too many days of intense sightseeing.

Sorry, questor, I can't be of much help to you. I do HAL tours.

I do remember (from 1994) that in Dover the port is huge! And very, very busy. You were required to take transportation to the gates before you could head out.

We also will be on the Amsterdam with you. Congratulations on 30 years together. We will be celebrating 25 years on departure day from New York. I have not been in Ireland since grade school, but I remember enough that I am looking forward to seeing both Cork & Dublin again. We are trying to look up an old friend from the midwest that now lives near Dublin to show us around for the day. We have already made plans with some friends in London to meet us in Dover for the day. Ruth- do they need to wait outside the entire port area for us to come out ?? We are especially looking forward to the sea days with an opportunity for catching up on all the reading we don't get to do at home. Hopefully will get to say "hello" to you in less than three months. From what I am told, the short stay in St. John is they need all the running time to make Cobh (Cork) for an 0800 arrival 3 1/2 days later. More time in St John = less time in Cork.

We were in the Dover terminal about three years ago when we transferred by bus from London to our ship. It was a very nice terminal and had a great view! I just remember it being at the foot of the cliffs with the ferry nearby.

Rene

terrascape, I haven't been to Dover since '94, so I hesitate answering your question. If anything, I imagine security is much tighter now.

If I had to venture a guess (and a guess is all it is) I would put my money down on your friends waiting for you at the entrance to the port---not near the ship.

• 1 month later...

We too are taking the Amsterdam from New York to Copenhagen. We're spending 3 days pre-cruise in NY and 5 days post-cruise in Copenhagen. It's our first cruise. We feel like we're diving in the "deep end" with it. We'll celebrate our 33rd two weeks after we get home.

As of a couple of days ago, HAL has opened shore excursion signups for St. Johns. I think the ship is there from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm. We plan on doing the "Old St. Johns and Cape Spear" excursion (I think that's what it's called.) We'll have excursions setup in all the ports. I've got them all done except for St. Johns and Dublin, which I'll do as soon as their website quits acting up!

I've got relatives in Belfast that I was hoping to meet up with in Dublin. Turns out they won't be able to make is so we'll be on our own. We're thinking of doing a half day excusion with the other have of the day free.

We sailed out of Dover in 2003 - we walked from the ship into town. We enjoy walking, so it was no problem. It is ahike tho. If you want to go to the Castle, I'd suggested a cab.

We did the same in Oslo - on our own, Viking Ship Museum and Folk Art Museum and the Vigeland Sculpture Park (not to be missed!).

We wandered the city in Dublin - visited Guiness Brewery (we weren't really enthralled with the Guiness Tour) and saw the Book of Kells. The best thing we did in Dublin was a great lunch at the Stag's Head Pub. Very nice. Too bad you're not going to Belfast - it was one of our favorite ports.

Copenhagen is also a nice city to do on your own.

Enjoy!

I'm on this too, solo. Some ports are new to me, did a little research so far. To go on your own in Cobh, trains to Cork are about 25 mins. Check out

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

Dover to Cantabury looks like a short train ride too. Taking a train ride is a good way to relax and see a little countryside. Ship tours cost only a little more, but sometimes are worth it.

Mark...

This must be the cruise for anniversaries. We will celebrate our 37th on May 10th, the second day out. Has anyone taken the train on their own between Dover and London? We would like to visit our cousins, but doubt they can make it out on a workday. HAL has a bus, but the train might be faster and a little less expensive.

I was on the Western Europe cruise (Dover to Dover - LeHavre, Cornwall, Cork (Cobh), Dublin, Edinburgh, Hamburg (Germany), Amsterdam, Brussels) when Diana, Princess of Wales was killed in France. The ship had just left LeHavre at 6pm that night and we found out the next day when we were in Cornwall of this tragedy. Sailing out of Dover, past the White Cliffs was breathtaking. The quaint town of Cobh is interesting. There is a great museum there (a lot of Titanic stuff as this was the last port of call). When Queen Victoria was in power, she renamed this town Queenstown and when she did, they put it back to Cobh. I hope that you have a great cruise. I wish I was going with you.

Archived