Has anyone had issues when you try to call to change your regular passport application to expedited?

moonltnite

I saw on the passport site, that you can upgrade a passport application that is in "In Process" status to expedited, to assure getting it sooner. You have to pay the $60 additional via a credit card - which was fine with us.   I called today to do this, and she took my information (including my application locator, name, address, birthdate) and all.  She attempted to enter in a request to do this - and it was rejected.  I asked her why - and she said they aren't told this information.  She hadn't asked for our credit card at this point - so it has to have something to do with our applications.  Both of our applications appeared as "In Process" as of November 3rd. 

Has anyone else called to upgrade an "in process" passport application - been told it can't be expedited?   There were no restrictions mentioned on the state department site to suggest you have to be traveling within a set period of time.  This is all that's on their site:  

"You can upgrade your application from routine processing to expedited processing for an additional $60. You may also choose to add a 1-2 delivery service of your completed passport book for an additional $17.56.  One-to-two day delivery is not available for passport cards. We only send cards via First Class Mail.

Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) and ask to upgrade your application service type. You’ll need either your application number or your last name and date of birth, as well as your credit card to pay the $60 expedite fee."

Edited by moonltnite

I concur - usually changes are locked when something is in process of being worked / completed - if you are "in process" since 11/3, you are at that 7 week mark, pretty much in the sweet spot of the current turn-around times of 5-11 weeks.  I wouldn't sweat it, I bet your passports are in hand by EOY.

• Like 1

When we called to expedite we were sent a link to the application which we filled out and emailed with our credit card information. We did not get an answer one way or the other regarding our request but after 4 weeks or so our credit card was charged and we got our passports shortly after.

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

When we called to expedite we were sent a link to the application which we filled out and emailed with our credit card information. We did not get an answer one way or the other regarding our request but after 4 weeks or so our credit card was charged and we got our passports shortly after.

Had you already mailed in your application when you called to expedite it?

Also - if you had - how long was it after when it was mailed that you called to expedite?

Ten minutes after I replied to the last poster - I went to the site to check our passport application status.  Both of ours are now in "Approved" status!  It said we should receive them by 12/22.  So earlier posters that said that the rejection of trying to expedite them was likely as they were too far along in the approval process were correct!  

3 hours ago, moonltnite said:

Had you already mailed in your application when you called to expedite it?

Also - if you had - how long was it after when it was mailed that you called to expedite?

Yes, we sent it in when the processing time was much less. Right after they received it they upped processing to 12 weeks or longer, this is from memory.  We called about 4 weeks after mailing. I did a detailed review on this board that you can probably find by doing a search.  This was back in July or August so memory is a bit fuzzy. 

On 12/16/2021 at 12:34 PM, moonltnite said:

I saw on the passport site, that you can upgrade a passport application that is in "In Process" status to expedited, to assure getting it sooner. You have to pay the $60 additional via a credit card - which was fine with us.   I called today to do this, and she took my information (including my application locator, name, address, birthdate) and all.  She attempted to enter in a request to do this - and it was rejected.  I asked her why - and she said they aren't told this information.  She hadn't asked for our credit card at this point - so it has to have something to do with our applications.  Both of our applications appeared as "In Process" as of November 3rd. 

Has anyone else called to upgrade an "in process" passport application - been told it can't be expedited?   There were no restrictions mentioned on the state department site to suggest you have to be traveling within a set period of time.  This is all that's on their site:  

"You can upgrade your application from routine processing to expedited processing for an additional $60. You may also choose to add a 1-2 delivery service of your completed passport book for an additional $17.56.  One-to-two day delivery is not available for passport cards. We only send cards via First Class Mail.

Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) and ask to upgrade your application service type. You’ll need either your application number or your last name and date of birth, as well as your credit card to pay the $60 expedite fee."

Yes, this works. Well worth it if you are feeling stressed