The Odyssey, on-the-sea - Dec 18, 2021

shark b8

6 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

After reading your experience I know I will never do luggage forwarding.    We are allowed two checked bags each and will have no problem handling them.   I have also put air tags in our luggage so I have a secondary way of tracking them.   We also fly to the port city 48 hrs in advance which works for ting and if a bag gets delayed.   Sounds like the luggage handling was a nightmare!

Air tags are handy.  We have previously had luggage stolen, and/or otherwise disappear. DH now likes to "watch" our bags electronically as they travel at an airport or cruise port or anywhere near wifi.  He arrived at MSP after a Xmas flight in first class and watched as his early bag entered the delivery strip around the corner that had just started running .  He went to go grab it at the precise location he'd seen it at electronically -- just in time to see a burly middle-aged man quickly carrying DH's bag (which is very distinctive in several ways and hard to confuse with other bags), plus a shiny pink hardside bag (obviously a woman's bag) away from the carousel towards the exit.   He gave chase, and then in his best "Minnesota nice", he confronted the thief and said "excuse me, but . . ." 

Had he not had the e-tags (or had he stopped at the restroom after getting off the plane), the bag would have been history.

I am surprised more bags do not disappear, especially now that everything can be blamed on Covid.

AirTags are Apple’s version of small attachable tags which allow you to track keys or wallet or other possessions, but there are many other such versions these days. I have an AirTag on Sundance’s collar!

https://www.apple.com/airtag/

I used to have Tile:

https://www.thetileapp.com/

(hope this doesn’t violate a rule regarding posting a link to a product….)

Shark B8. Thanks for response. Good luck with your luggage. Cancelling was the correct decision for us and it is not the end of the world. Still going to our favourite place Barbados and instead of 10 days we are now going for 17. 6 weeks and counting.

4 hours ago, shark b8 said:

AirTags are Apple’s version of small attachable tags which allow you to track keys or wallet or other possessions, but there are many other such versions these days. I have an AirTag on Sundance’s collar!

https://www.apple.com/airtag/

I used to have Tile:

https://www.thetileapp.com/

(hope this doesn’t violate a rule regarding posting a link to a product….)

Samsung makes a device like that as well.  There could be others, as you mentioned, there are lots of uses for tracking...

• 2 weeks later...

If there's still any interest in our luggage-forwarding saga, well, here's a recap/update.  The luggage was to have arrived onboard the ship on Dec 18, obvs the day the Odyssey sailed.  After leaving our home, it sat in Honolulu for 5 days, then in L.A. for 5 more.  It obviously was not going to make the sailing. It eventually arrived onboard ELEVEN days after sailing, on the 29th.

Well.  We disembarked the Odyssey on Jan 8, and were told the luggage was on its way, that it would be delivered on the 19th. It then sat in Barbados for SIXTEEN days, and showed departure yesterday, the 24th.  It's now in Panama.

I'm mulling doing a separate thread for just this experience - I know many people understandably prefer posts/stories which are more universally-applicable than personal, but it seems to me this story is something future potential luggage-forwarders would want to know about....I know I would have liked to hear about it, in advance.

jgw6856.jpg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

I'm mulling doing a separate thread for just this experience - I know many people understandably prefer posts/stories which are more universally-applicable than personal, but it seems to me this story is something future potential luggage-forwarders would want to know about....I know I would have liked to hear about it, in advance.

I agree.  And, naming names as to the luggage forwarding services involved would be helpful.  I have used services like this before and have not had issues, but, my cruisers have not been so fortunate.  

On my world cruise, the initial company went out of business during my cruise.  They did well; the luggage arrived on the Amsterdam when it was supposed to do.  Then, HAL had to scramble to get a company to get my luggage home.  They selected DHL and, even with a DHL hub just a few miles from where I live, the luggage did not arrive on the date expected.  (It was only a couple of days late, though.)  

38 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

naming names as to the luggage forwarding services involved would be helpful.

Agreed, rka.  I'm normally the type to spend some time & effort researching items/companies, trying to dig up info re the most successful or the least, etc.  But "Luggage Forward" is a partner with Seabourn, so it seemed to me wise to take advantage of the partnership, having a connection there seemed preferable.  We cruise again in April (fingers crossed), obvs if I choose to do this again, it won't be with this company. 

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

But "Luggage Forward" is a partner with Seabourn, so it seemed to me wise to take advantage of the partnership,

That was my thinking when I used HAL's luggage forwarding service to get the stuff to Fort Lauderdale.  What could go wrong, I thought.  And, nothing did.  I remember tracking the luggage and the two of them spent some time in a warehouse somewhere in Fort Lauderdale before they could be delivered to the Amsterdam.  At least, I knew where the bags were.  

We had the same problem with Luggage Forwarding as shark b8 had.  We left  Barbados on Odyssey without our luggage.  After one week, we got 1 bag(out of 2) in St. Martin. Although we disembarked in Barbados on 12/18  we finally got all our "lost" luggage on 1/4/22!!! That is after the luggage made a tour of Central American cities including Panama, Costa Rica and Puerto Rico. It was NOT enjoyable to wear the same clothes for 2 weeks.  A while back, I suggested, on this forum, that luggage forwarding was the way to go.  I've got to rethink what I said after this ridiculous "catastrophe." I side with shark b8 and anyone else who has lived through this disaster. My advice to shark  b8,  do more reattach as to what company you chose.  We did and are leaving February 2nd.

1 hour ago, cuddles115 said:

My advice to shark  b8,  do more research as to what company you chose.  We did and are leaving February 2nd.

Yes, obviously I’ll do due diligence, for our prospective trip in April.  Would love to hear your experience or choice, Cuddles. Meanwhile, if anyone’s keeping score, our luggage is now in Costa Rica, mimicking Cuddles’ experience. 😱  I think I’ll begin a stand-alone thread about luggage forwarding, I’d really like to assemble experiences, positive and otherwise, from many more folks than those who just happened to read my li’l ol’ posts on our last cruise. 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

Yes, obviously I’ll do due diligence, for our prospective trip in April.  Would love to hear your experience or choice, Cuddles. Meanwhile, if anyone’s keeping score, our luggage is now in Costa Rica, mimicking Cuddles’ experience. 😱  I think I’ll begin a stand-alone thread about luggage forwarding, I’d really like to assemble experiences, positive and otherwise, from many more folks than those who just happened to read my li’l ol’ posts on our last cruise. 😉

What a mess with your luggage forwarding, so sorry! Maybe I should just say "Blame Covid", like people do for almost everything these days, but I will not use Luggage Forwarding again.

2 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Please do start a thread, I will follow it avidly!

We have been offered a Luggage Forward service as part of the SB World voyage segment we are on in the Autumn.

I was wary of this service to start with, I'm even more wary now!

4 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Please do start a thread, I will follow it avidly!

We have been offered a Luggage Forward service as part of the SB World voyage segment we are on in the Autumn.

I was wary of this service to start with, I'm even more wary now!

DON'T

• Haha 1

After reading the posts about Luggage Forward I am very concerned.   My luggage (2 bags) are due to be picked up next week.  The bags are booked roundtrip NY-Miami   Monaco-NY.  It is difficult for me to handle the baggage due to lack of porters at the airport.  Any advice?????

10 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Yes please. 

5 hours ago, Lois10028 said:

After reading the posts about Luggage Forward I am very concerned.   My luggage (2 bags) are due to be picked up next week.  The bags are booked roundtrip NY-Miami   Monaco-NY.  It is difficult for me to handle the baggage due to lack of porters at the airport.  Any advice?????

The above was for  you

On 1/25/2022 at 9:42 PM, shark b8 said:

Really?  Interesting. Have you used them before, and if so could you elaborate a little?

My son uses them to ship his skis and a small bag of gear to the resorts.

But, here is what I learned from someone who is very familiar with the company (my summary, it could be a little disjointed and, I hope, accurate).

FedEx will ship your bag.  

You must fill out the commercial invoice and include an inventory, just like for Luggage Forward.

The problems and holdups with international shipments are from foreign customs agents, and this applies to FedEx and to any other luggage service or carrier.  For best results just ship clothing.  Do not include strange things that may tempt them to hold the bag, like electric hair dryers, shavers, containers, wires, etc. Do not include valuables or things that could appear as valuables (or dangerous) in an x-ray. List items as 5 cotton shirts, not 5 Armani cotton shirts. 

Make sure you have a solid address for delivery.  Get it from Seabourn.

Make sure you allow plenty of time, at least a week.  And here is the caveat.  If things go wrong because of customs, disasters, etc, you own the problem.  My friend actually says to deal with whatever luggage company the cruise recommends, because if there is a problem they are responsible for getting the stuff back to you. If you ship it with any other carrier, you may have to go through the hassle of getting it back. 

It is another thing altogether for domestic shipments, like a for a cruise leaving from Miami or Alaska.  You can be sure it will be delivered on time with no customs problems.  Still, give it a few days for peace of mind and to get lower rates.  (Overnight express of a suitcase could put you into bankruptcy.)

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 9:26 AM, Lois10028 said:

Sorry to bother you.  Got a notice from the luggage carrier( they're in West Palm Beach, Fl) as to when  the luggage will be delivered, the tracking number and the carrier who picked up my luggage.  VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! This negates the "game" that I played as to where my luggage would be and was it delivered.to the ship.  I can't use names, etc. on Cruise Critic.  But you can find them by their location in WPB, Fl.