Live-ish from Silhouette Dec 24 - Jan 4

zaxanon6

45 minutes ago, stones902 said:

I am curious as to what a "lateral flow test" is?  Being from the US I've never heard of that test.  Can you explain for me please?

Google is your friend. 😉

https://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/blog/travel-health/rapid-antigen-test-vs-lateral-flow

https://www.abingdonhealth.com/services/what-is-lateral-flow-immunoassay/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's our last night aboard Silhouette...

My pedicure this afternoon was lovely. Partially for the time spent chatting with the nail technician, and partially because it's a really nice pedicure (the Fire & Ice one). I used to wonder why I should spend extra for a ship pedicure instead of doing it at home beforehand, and then I had some OBC to blow on a previous cruise so I tried it. The spa at home doesn't come with a view of the ocean. 😉 It's a nice way to pamper yourself and my previous one lasted for over a month. We'll see what happens this time.

We spent the day slowly sailing south through the Straits of Florida, with nowhere to go and in no hurry to get there. We just started turning a few minutes ago, presumably to slowly head back north to Port Everglades overnight.

Dinner was a bit sad because we found out that our wonderful waiter is in quarantine due to contact tracing. Our assistant waiter and sommelier assured us that he's okay and tested negative so far. We greatly looked forward to seeing them all each night, so not being able to say thank you and goodbye was hard. We were happy to see everyone else, though, and it was yet another wonderful meal.

Back in our staterooms, we received the letter with the new mask rule. Handing this out after dinner on the last night of the cruise makes little sense; it's actually the exact same letter that's been posted on CC from other Celebrity ships, including starting by welcoming us onboard. Those with future cruises are forewarned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peery5 said:

We board tomorrow. I personally am glad they are re-instituting mask mandates.  Just hope they enforce it.  I just think it’s the only way for any chance of a safe cruise during this Covid surge.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and the mask policy makes a difference.

45 minutes ago, zaxanon6 said:

It's our last night aboard Silhouette...

My pedicure this afternoon was lovely. Partially for the time spent chatting with the nail technician, and partially because it's a really nice pedicure (the Fire & Ice one). I used to wonder why I should spend extra for a ship pedicure instead of doing it at home beforehand, and then I had some OBC to blow on a previous cruise so I tried it. The spa at home doesn't come with a view of the ocean. 😉 It's a nice way to pamper yourself and my previous one lasted for over a month. We'll see what happens this time.

We spent the day slowly sailing south through the Straits of Florida, with nowhere to go and in no hurry to get there. We just started turning a few minutes ago, presumably to slowly head back north to Port Everglades overnight.

Dinner was a bit sad because we found out that our wonderful waiter is in quarantine due to contact tracing. Our assistant waiter and sommelier assured us that he's okay and tested negative so far. We greatly looked forward to seeing them all each night, so not being able to say thank you and goodbye was hard. We were happy to see everyone else, though, and it was yet another wonderful meal.

Back in our staterooms, we received the letter with the new mask rule. Handing this out after dinner on the last night of the cruise makes little sense; it's actually the exact same letter that's been posted on CC from other Celebrity ships, including starting by welcoming us onboard. Those with future cruises are forewarned.

We’re on tomorrow also. Based on all we have read we’re bringing plenty of masks as well. I assume they are only required when inside public areas and not eating and drinking?  How about in the gym?  We’ll of course conform to whatever the policy is but it would be good to know in advance. 

16 minutes ago, stones902 said:

We’re on tomorrow also. Based on all we have read we’re bringing plenty of masks as well. I assume they are only required when inside public areas and not eating and drinking?  How about in the gym?  We’ll of course conform to whatever the policy is but it would be good to know in advance. 

The letter says all indoor public spaces, except eating or drinking. That theoretically includes the gym, but we haven't had time to actually see the policy implemented. Maybe walk/run the outdoor track instead of the treadmill?

16412608548312104235935477857683.jpg

On 1/2/2022 at 1:38 PM, zaxanon6 said:

There's been multiple answers...

The Captain said a bit over 1000 on the first night. Another passenger responded that they'd been told a bit over 1400. I asked guest services and was told a bit over 1300. So... Something in that ballpark. 50% or less.

I think I saw the answer to this already but how many cases are onboard this sailing? Does anyone know if some of these passengers were wearing masks?  Are there many younger people on this sailing because it’s a holiday cruise? 

6 hours ago, debant said:

I think I saw the answer to this already but how many cases are onboard this sailing? Does anyone know if some of these passengers were wearing masks?  Are there many younger people on this sailing because it’s a holiday cruise? 

Yes, most were answered before but:

As of yesterday morning, there were 44 passengers and 13 crew that tested positive. I think it's unlikely that we'll get another update since we're getting off this morning, but there were probably more cases yesterday (they were searching for people for contact tracing).

The crew are required to wear masks in public areas, so we know at least they were using them. I don't know about the passengers and sorry but it didn't feel appropriate to ask the concierge.

There were about 130 children onboard. Later learned from a fellow passenger on a shore excursion that about 70 were in the teen group (13-17), including their grandchildren. Since they would have to be vaccinated, it still was a >95% vaccinated cruise, even with the high number of children.

Edited by zaxanon6

We arrived in Port Everglades this morning. HAL's Noordam and Royal's Vision otS also in port. It was fun watching the sunrise with them and a coast guard cutter coming in. We had a 10:40a flight from FLL, so had breakfast in Oceanview (it was pretty empty at 6:30a) and walked our own bags off at 7:30. On the way down the gangway, we saw black SUVs lining up by a ramp on deck 2. I assume they were there to offload the quarantined. The terminal was quite empty (maybe another 20 passengers there) and with the facial recognition for CBP, we breezed straight out. There was a line of taxis waiting on the other side of the building by the entrance (may be considered quite a walk by some), and we were whisked off to FLL. Checking bags and getting through security was very quick, too; we were sitting at the gate by 8:30a. Tuesday mornings in Fort Lauderdale are much nicer than Saturdays or Sundays. ☺️

Final thoughts to come later once we get home. For everyone departing on Sillie today, I hope you have a great time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, zaxanon6 said:

We arrived in Port Everglades this morning. HAL's Noordam and Royal's Vision otS also in port. It was fun watching the sunrise with them and a coast guard cutter coming in. We had a 10:40a flight from FLL, so had breakfast in Oceanview (it was pretty empty at 6:30a) and walked our own bags off at 7:30. On the way down the gangway, we saw black SUVs lining up by a ramp on deck 2. I assume they were there to offload the quarantined. The terminal was quite empty (maybe another 20 passengers there) and with the facial recognition for CBP, we breezed straight out. There was a line of taxis waiting on the other side of the building by the entrance (may be considered quite a walk by some), and we were whisked off to FLL. Checking bags and getting through security was very quick, too; we were sitting at the gate by 8:30a. Tuesday mornings in Fort Lauderdale are much nicer than Saturdays or Sundays. ☺️

Final thoughts to come later once we get home. For everyone departing on Sillie today, I hope you have a great time.

Thanks for all your updates!  We board today and hope we have a uneventful cruise.  Safe travels!

Thank you, Zaxann06. I really appreciates your continual updates; I am sure you were very busy onboard. Your updates were enjoyable and informative to read and also very, very helpful for those of us getting ready to sail this month. Your updates helped prepare us on what to expect possibly on our sailings. Safe travels home!

5 hours ago, zaxanon6 said:

Yes, most were answered before but:

As of yesterday morning, there were 44 passengers and 13 crew that tested positive. I think it's unlikely that we'll get another update since we're getting off this morning, but there were probably more cases yesterday (they were searching for people for contact tracing).

The crew are required to wear masks in public areas, so we know at least they were using them. I don't know about the passengers and sorry but it didn't feel appropriate to ask the concierge.

There were about 130 children onboard. Later learned from a fellow passenger on a shore excursion that about 70 were in the teen group (13-17), including their grandchildren. Since they would have to be vaccinated, it still was a >95% vaccinated cruise, even with the high number of children.

Zaxann06 - we so appreciate all your pictures and updates!  It helps to build our excitement about going with a dose of reality that's much needed in this current time:)  Safe travels home! 

We do hope someone will keep posting live updates from the Silhouette!

Safely home and traded views of the ocean for views of snowy woods. 😊

The cruises I took in August and November '21 felt like escapes from the real world, where the ship was a little bubble that was safer than anywhere else. This cruise was still a vacation, but it wasn't an escape. I don't think I was mentally prepared for that because of the previous experiences. Hopefully folks cruising in Jan and Feb will be a little better off with all the live threads from the ships and especially from quarantine. I hope everyone stays safe and enjoys themselves.

I really enjoyed the ABCs, so it was a worthwhile cruise. I'm not sure if I'll be back at sea this spring or not, but I'm looking forward to a trip on Summit in Nov.