Anyone know the policy for cruises after May 2022 outside of Cruise with Confidence?

adidas5676

Royal has not responded to email and I'm sure staffing is light over the holiday.  We have a cruise in April which has been postponed a zillion times between May 2020 and April 2022 and we are going gosh darnit.  But I also rescheduled my kids first cruise from the Feb 2021 one that didn't sail to November 2022.  It's a little tough to understand the policy for cruises after the CWC program after May 31, 2022.  Does CWC end on May 31, 2022?  What happens if people need to reschedule after that?

The ability to cancel without penalty under CWC has only recently been extended to cover sailings departing on or before 31 May and the extension over the previous cover only added one month. 

Nobody can know for sure right now but if things continue to be very unstable with covid there could be further extensions. In the meantime normal terms and conditions apply to sailings from 1st June onwards, so normal penalties would apply depending on your booking type (refundable or non-refundable deposit, etc.).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, adidas5676 said:

What happens if people need to reschedule after that?

Eventually, probably go back to the pre pandemic policy. For an NRD booking, you lose $100 pp outside of final payment. Prorated penalties inside final payment.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

I did pay the extra for refundable deposit, so in that case we get 100% back then? (minus the refundable fee)

Before final payment, you get a full refund (there's no refundable fee unless a TA ripped you off).

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You get all of it back - that's not a "fee" it's just the cost of that booking type.

Great!  Thanks for the clarification.  I hope they do extend the CWC past May though considering how it's very clear the pandemic is not over and really the policies should reflect that.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

You get all of it back - that's not a "fee" it's just the cost of that booking type.

Unless you used a CWC FCC to pay for a part of the November 2022 cruise.  That amount would be lost, I assume.

9 minutes ago, JimVB said:

Unless you used a CWC FCC to pay for a part of the November 2022 cruise.  That amount would be lost, I assume.

In the recent past, RCI has been considering FCCs as cash, so even if the deposit was paid for with an FCC (which the poster didn't mention), it would likely be refunded.

• Like 1

I did not pay the deposit for the November family cruise with FCC, but now that it's been mentioned I am curious why they wouldn't reimburse it regardless of "cash" or FCC.  I used *ALL* FCCs from postponed cruises to pay for our April suite-which we are going on for our 5 year anniversary (rescheduled from a 3 year anniversary in 2020) regardless of the current covid situation or lack of one-unless Lord forbid, cruises are somehow halted again.

38 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

They should - that poster may be confused about current terms.

I hope that I am confused about current terms.  Are you saying that if prior to final payment I cancel a 2022 cruise booked at a refundable price and partially paid for with CWC FCC's,  I should expect a full refund?  And it doesn't matter whether that cruise is before or after the current May 31, 2022 end of CWC?  

21 minutes ago, JimVB said:

Are you saying that if prior to final payment I cancel a 2022 cruise booked at a refundable price and partially paid for with CWC FCC's,  I should expect a full refund?  And it doesn't matter whether that cruise is before or after the current May 31, 2022 end of CWC?  

Yes (you can cancel even after final payment) but it needs to happen before June 2022 (assuming rules don't change tomorrow). The ability to get a full refund may depend on your ability to talk your way through the RCI bureaucracy (which will likely steer you towards an FCC). Any sailing, regardless of when it is, if booked refundable deposit, should be fully refundable before final payment. Now, a year + from now, RCI could back away from their current generous rules and if you used an FCC for the deposit, you may not be able to get that refunded.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, JimVB said:

I hope that I am confused about current terms.  Are you saying that if prior to final payment I cancel a 2022 cruise booked at a refundable price and partially paid for with CWC FCC's,  I should expect a full refund?  And it doesn't matter whether that cruise is before or after the current May 31, 2022 end of CWC?  

If you cancel prior to final payment you will receive a full refund of your deposit back in the form of payment used.  So if you paid deposit by FCC you will have a new FCC issued for that amount. 

Usually in normal times, the new FCC would have the same expiration date as the original.  So that could mean you wouldn’t get a chance to use it at a later date.  For your situation, I’d suggest calling the cruise line and asking what the expiration date would be for a new FCC.  Then write down the date and time of the call, along with the persons name you spoke to.  Ask them to remark the booking with the info they provided you, but worst case the call can be pulled later if necessary.  

The policies change frequently, so it wouldn’t hurt to check again in a couple months!  

• Like 1