Luminae

ispendmoney

14 hours ago, markeb said:

I'd probably go along with that...

There are probably two fairly different "upscale" (thinking Michelin here, but that's not required) experiences. The most common is probably the tasting menu, where you decide you're eating there, and you get what they're serving. Maybe some variation for allergies, but the chef sets your menu. The other is either prix fixe with a choice of courses (which is kind of the MDR/Luminae model) or true ala carte.

It wouldn't work in the MDR, but Luminae almost certainly could support a multiple entree prix fixe model. The food is mostly cooked to order. And with 10 appetizers, 10 entrees, and dessert (or 15-20 first and second courses plus a main), you'd have choices, and you'd have more of a restaurant model (might still be the same waiter, but it wouldn't have to be).

Interesting question as to whether trying to be "like the MDR" actually limits them? Hadn't thought of that until tonight...

I know you know this, Markeb, but the sanitation rules that must be followed limit what they are able to do, compared with a land restaurant- limited fresh fish and meats, mostly frozen, even in Luminae and likely even in Eden (which is the closest Celeb comes to a 2021 fine dining experience- I like Murano too, but it’s more of an old fashioned French experience, ala 1980s). Your description of the multiple entree pre fixe model is kind of what they do when you think about it, they just don’t  offer all the choices every night - and I bet that has something to do with how they stock for the week, and “recycle” ingredients.

Did you ever do a pre-Covid Chefs Table? It offered the best backstage tour I’ve ever had, led by the Exec Chef, it was a logistics geek’s dream tour. Overseeing logistics and sanitation compliance were his main duties and the particular chef that gave our tour loved his job and ship and gave a great layman’s overview.

1 hour ago, RollWave said:

Interesting - we did not know this about Edge. Good to know as we are booked on Edge at the end of January. Is there a reason for this?

Yes.  Unlike M and S class, the galleys for MDR and Luminae on E class are on opposite ends of the ship.

32 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I can attest that the menus posted at the beginning of that thread and dated 1/16/19 are the same selections that were presented on my Apex 12/11/21 cruise and there were no everyday items available to choose. In the seven nights (dined in other places the other two nights) of dining at Luminae there was never a mention of MDR everyday items available to choose. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I know you know this, Markeb, but the sanitation rules that must be followed limit what they are able to do, compared with a land restaurant- limited fresh fish and meats, mostly frozen, even in Luminae and likely even in Eden (which is the closest Celeb comes to a 2021 fine dining experience- I like Murano too, but it’s more of an old fashioned French experience, ala 1980s). Your description of the multiple entree pre fixe model is kind of what they do when you think about it, they just don’t  offer all the choices every night - and I bet that has something to do with how they stock for the week, and “recycle” ingredients.

Did you ever do a pre-Covid Chefs Table? It offered the best backstage tour I’ve ever had, led by the Exec Chef, it was a logistics geek’s dream tour. Overseeing logistics and sanitation compliance were his main duties and the particular chef that gave our tour loved his job and ship and gave a great layman’s overview.

Yeah. There are unique challenges on the ship. Sanitation, waste avoidance, etc.  And a lot of shoreside places are reservation only, so they can sort of predict demand. You can probably thaw things fairly rapidly, but you need an hour and a half to two hours for the meal service. 

And since Luminae is the dining room for the retreat, not everyone is going to invest that much time. It is challenging…