Tipping per drink on top of gratuities?

Crismess669

20 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

So do you think surgeons who migrate from places like India or dentists from England and choose to practice in the US, should be paid less than US peers since they would get paid less at home?

14 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The concept is the same.  Where someone is from or what their expenses are has no bearing on what level of gratuities is given for a personal service

21 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Wages have nothing to do with gratuities, either.   

Been following this thread in passing. I'm so confused... if none of these things have anything to do with gratuities why the discussion on pay for surgeons and dentists? Gracie? Is that you? 😀

33 minutes ago, icft said:

Been following this thread in passing. I'm so confused... if none of these things have anything to do with gratuities why the discussion on pay for surgeons and dentists? Gracie? Is that you? 😀

There is a tired argument that basically claims that since many crew are from impoverished countries, that being employed on a cruise ship makes them wealthy thus anything you tip should be received with gratitude or they can go home and make $1 a day in some factory. 

41 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

There is a tired argument that basically claims that since many crew are from impoverished countries, that being employed on a cruise ship makes them wealthy thus anything you tip should be received with gratitude or they can go home and make $1 a day in some factory. 

Ah! Now I understand what is going on. Thanks!

• Like 1

Just some additional food for thought and not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, I have talked with bartenders about tips, its a discussion they are sometimes reluctant to have but I have learned that if you add additional gratuity to your receipt it makes that server look better to management and could improve performance evaluations. If you give them cash it obviously has more of an immediate impact on their finances. 

Also if you really feel like you are getting great and consistent service from someone make a note of their name and assignment so that you can acknowledge them in your post cruise survey. Again that is considered by management in future performance evaluations and can be very beneficial to that particular employee.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 3:04 PM, vanislandcruisers said:

My Wife tips $1/ Drink as well however she usually adds it to the Receipt so it is 'pooled'.

Actually, no, it's not pooled.  Any extra tip amount you write on the receipt goes directly to that bartender or server.  

I wasn't sure about this, so I asked three different bartenders at separate bars, and they all confirmed that tips on receipts DO go to them and do not get pooled.