Zoom Meetings

lhsail

I have recently joined the board of a non-profit. Of course two of the upcoming monthly meetings are while we will most likely be on a Celebrity cruise. Has anyone had success using the Stream internet for Zoom?  Can I upgrade to Stream for just one day?  Appreciate the insight. 

I have done numerous Zoom meetings while aboard.   You will need the premium internet package.   Most of the time I have had no problem but had a dead spot in the middle of the Atlantic once and lost total internet on the ship for about an hour.

6 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

Agree with the need to upgrade. Had meetings daily on the Connie last cruise (Teams, Zoom, etc.) and it worked well at sea. A little spotty in port (I know it seems that would be the other way around)...

For some reason internet seems always spotty in ports.   I usually create a hotspot using TMobile Free International Roaming and seems to work fine.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

For some reason internet seems always spotty in ports.   I usually create a hotspot using TMobile Free International Roaming and seems to work fine.

We have T-Mobile so have data access in all ports. Always seems to work better than the ship’s internet. Appreciate the info. 

5 minutes ago, lhsail said:

We have T-Mobile so have data access in all ports. Always seems to work better than the ship’s internet. Appreciate the info. 

The only place I had trouble with T-Mobile and the Ship's internet was at Avalon Island.    Funny since we were still in the U.S. but must not have T-Mobile coverage there.    I could even see Los Angeles. 

Recently did a Teams meeting while in port in San Juan. We had the upgraded WiFi.  It went pretty smoothly!  Voice cut out maybe once or twice but otherwise as if I were working remotely from home. View was much better in San Juan!!

Recently sailed Apex and Reflection.  Didn’t try to Zoom, but overall the stream internet was awful. We were in a suite so it was included. I know I am paying for it as part of the pricing but I think if I had paid extra to upgrade I would have been doubly unhappy with it.

Are you able to use your IPhone as a hotspot while on the ship’s wifi and then use your laptop with the hotspot?  I’d rather not have to pay for my laptop as an extra device if I may not even need it.  Thanks!

on Constellation now, and the stream internet package is quite spotty. You may be able to log into a zoom meeting to "attend" but I would question whether you could reliably participate. Much of this may depend on how many people are using net on your cruise, and, if in port, how many are off the ship and therefore not using. 

Also, I have an apple phone and it does not let you use it as a wifi hotspot if the internet is coming from wifi, only from cellular. 

You could simply log out of your phone internet connection and log into the internet with your laptop (the device isn't tagged specifically, the rule is just one device connected at a time). 

10 hours ago, kg1022 said:

Are you able to use your IPhone as a hotspot while on the ship’s wifi and then use your laptop with the hotspot?  I’d rather not have to pay for my laptop as an extra device if I may not even need it.  Thanks!

At least on a iPhone you can not use your phone as a hotspot while using WiFi only -  Only Celluar allows hotspot.     You don't need to pay for an extra device all you have to do is long on your laptop and it will knock you off your phone connections but will not affect your second account that your spouse may be using.    You can use unlimited devices but only one at a time on each account.

Edited by Jim_Iain