Haven categories not in the “Haven”

jdro

This is one of those threads where everyone digs in and justifies the cabin they picked.  I have stayed in both.  I love saving money and I love a bigger cabin, or so I thought.  I stayed in a forward penthouse on Getaway.  One of my favorite penthouses ever because of the space and layout.  However, I probably would never book a "Haven" cabin again that is not in the Haven.   It was like "Haven Light."  I felt like an outsider in the Haven who just got to visit.  Staying inside the Haven, the concierge gets to know you since you walk past their desk several times per day.  You walk just steps to breakfast every morning including those port days when you are in a rush.  If you stay late in the Haven bar, your cabin is only a few steps away.   Its a walk and elevator ride to the restaurant just like any other cabin going to the MDR. It really is a luxury to have those facilities like restaurant, bar, sundeck, pool right outside your door. I know the forward and aft cabins are less expensive but IMHO, if I book the Haven I will enjoy it all by staying inside.  As they say Location, Location, Location.  IMHO, it definitely had an impact on the Haven experience by staying outside.  I never thought it would but I tried both and I prefer to stay in the Haven over the discount. My experience was not the same to trot on busy elevators and halls every morning for breakfast or lunch or dinner just like everyone else on the ship to eat, to save a few bucks.  Ask yourself going on vacation, do you want to stay at the ocean front resort that is on the beach directly?  OR Do you want to stay at a less expensive hotel a block away from the beach. Its only a short walk to the beach.   You get my point.   

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

This is one of those threads where everyone digs in and justifies the cabin they picked.  I have stayed in both.  I love saving money and I love a bigger cabin, or so I thought.  I stayed in a forward penthouse on Getaway.  One of my favorite penthouses ever because of the space and layout.  However, I probably would never book a "Haven" cabin again that is not in the Haven.   It was like "Haven Light."  I felt like an outsider in the Haven who just got to visit.  Staying inside the Haven, the concierge gets to know you since you walk past their desk several times per day.  You walk just steps to breakfast every morning including those port days when you are in a rush.  If you stay late in the Haven bar, your cabin is only a few steps away.   Its a walk and elevator ride to the restaurant just like any other cabin going to the MDR. It really is a luxury to have those facilities like restaurant, bar, sundeck, pool right outside your door. I know the forward and aft cabins are less expensive but IMHO, if I book the Haven I will enjoy it all by staying inside.  As they say Location, Location, Location.  IMHO, it definitely had an impact on the Haven experience by staying outside.  I never thought it would but I tried both and I prefer to stay in the Haven over the discount. My experience was not the same to trot on busy elevators and halls every morning for breakfast or lunch or dinner just like everyone else on the ship to eat, to save a few bucks.  Ask yourself going on vacation, do you want to stay at the ocean front resort that is on the beach directly?  OR Do you want to stay at a less expensive hotel a block away from the beach. Its only a short walk to the beach.   You get my point.   

Or you can get a concierge who doesn't even say 'hello'.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Key word is "had".  For our February cruise we originally booked one of the non Haven Penthouse Suites.  Then I found out from reading these boards, NCL took away the perks except preboarding.  However, they provided no notification and then offered no credit.   Prices have dropped significantly in the last few weeks so we (I as husband has no idea) upgraded ourselves to a Haven .  

Thanks for sharing this.  I did a search to see what I could find out before posting and got conflicting information.  I knew someone would have recent experience!  Glad that I decided not to bid on that category.  A nice cabin is usually worth a lot to me, but right now I really want those Haven (or Haven like) perks for the extra $$.

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Interesting perspective and it makes sense for you.

With two in college, and one about to enter, I just need to get to the beach!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryanpatricksmom said:

Thanks for sharing this.  I did a search to see what I could find out before posting and got conflicting information.  I knew someone would have recent experience!  Glad that I decided not to bid on that category.  A nice cabin is usually worth a lot to me, but right now I really want those Haven (or Haven like) perks for the extra $$.

You are very welcome.   When it happened, I was really annoyed as I was paying about $1,300 more for the additional amenities.  Fortunately, the Haven prices dropped significantly so I was able to upgrade us myself.     I was really surprised there was not a lot of talk about it since NCL never notified anyone.  If I did not read CC, we would of went on the ship expecting a whole lot of amenities.    We even received an e-mail from Concierge a week before they pulled the amenities letting us know the additional services we were going to receive.

Have an wonderful sailing.