Almost Live from Explorer

Are you aware of any covid cases on board this week?

Things to look out for are the "room service tray stands" that are placed outside the affected's cabin, until they can be offloaded to an ambulance the following morning.

on EX2 New Year, while we were aware of quarantine cases being disembarked all week, the majority of the passengers were unaware until the Captain was forced to give a (downplayed) announcement, followed by the mass testing - which at the time was a requirement for UK Re-Entry.

Are you having the mass testing today?  Not sure if it is still a Spanish requirement for disembarking? If so then keep an eye on your cabin corridor this evening as anyone who tests positive will be confined to their cabins.

Naturally I am hoping that EX has managed to stay Covid Free this week, which would be a tremendous positive after the shenanigans of the past few weeks

Docked in Gran Canaria. Blowing a gale and cloudy with a little rain in the wind occasionally. 
We just spent a stressful time filling in our PLFs. It wouldn’t work on my iPad (photoing the vaccine QR) but Clare brought her laptop and it worked on there. The reception staff printed our homeward flight boarding passes in a matter of 2 minutes. Very easy to do and we were impressed by the simplicity of that. 

We are about to take the HOHO bus as it isn’t pleasant walking around in this wind. At least we’ll see the town. 

• Like 1

Weather has been miserable all day. We did the HOHO but it was uninspiring. 
I have packed and finished my book this afternoon. Now ready to do the 5.00 pm quiz. 
Tonight’s show is called Musicals. I really hope it’s the new cast, not the outgoing one. . 

On the bus to the airport now. 
Last night’s show was fabulous. It was the new cast. They have some great singers, particularly the guy with a ponytail/bun. 
Before dinner we did the quiz, getting 15/21 and were very surprised that was the winning score. 

I’ve really enjoyed the cruise and would happily sail Marella again. It is perfectly possible to avoid the Butlins at Sea atmosphere on the pool deck. The food was fair to good. Nothing like the quality on Celebrity, Princess or especially Azamara……. But the prices are nothing like those either. We could have eaten in the Specialty restaurants if we had wanted to spend the extra for quality food but didn’t feel it necessary in the end. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Glad you enjoyed your holiday - I would like to hear how the check in and flight back was ?

I have really enjoyed reading your blog - it’s been really interesting and informative -  please do another one on your next cruise would you ? 

Paul

5 hours ago, cinnamon said:

It is perfectly possible to avoid the Butlins at Sea atmosphere on the pool deck. 

As a veteran of 45 Cruises (iirc) would you say that the "Butlins" atmosphere is commonplace across all Cruise Operators?    

2 hours ago, ferretktf said:

As a veteran of 45 Cruises (iirc) would you say that the "Butlins" atmosphere is commonplace across all Cruise Operators?    

I’ve really only come across it a bit on Royal Caribbean but of course it was American style. 

3 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Glad you enjoyed your holiday - I would like to hear how the check in and flight back was ?

I have really enjoyed reading your blog - it’s been really interesting and informative -  please do another one on your next cruise would you ? 

Paul

Glad you’ve enjoyed it. 
check in at Tenerife was simple. Needed PLF and vaccine cert. 

No idea when another cruise will be. 😏

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ferretktf said:

Interesting question

On ocean village years ago it was raucous -
It was our first ever cruise.

We were much younger then , stayed 7 nights in Barbados and then a 2 weeks cruise and I had just left a really stressful job - so we joined in and got wrecked most days - lovely big cabins, great staff and brilliant bands and night clubs , great fun.
The sail away party was a riot.
But not aggressive or badly behaved.

years later …

On some of the earlier very cheap Thomson cruises - people over ordering from the buffet , stuffing their faces and leaving lots of food , being rude to staff etc horrible chav like behaviour - “Butlins”

We have done one 4 night cruise on Fred Olsen which was basically a corporate piss up -

We got a great price on a suite so we enjoyed that and kept away from everyone else !

- ”Butlins light”

We only go adults only - so usually civilised - and minimises “family Butlins”

We have found that the  “Butlins”  stick together in the same bars / restaurants - and the “non Butlins”  similarly go to different bars etc -  so everyone settles down in their own comfort zones.

I think price ( major factor maybe ? ) - destination - time of year - adults only or family  - are all factors that determine the “%Butlins” - 

but they are everywhere - in varying  extents - on most lines.

Paul

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 2

Hi Cinnamon

You have reassured me that cruising is possible in these times!

Just one question - what insurance evidence did Tui require?

Their website says 'cruise insurance' - my travel insurance is included with my home insurance and doesn't specifically say it relates to cruises, although cruises are included within it.

Do they just need an insurance certificate?

Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pink15 said:

Hi Cinnamon

You have reassured me that cruising is possible in these times!

Just one question - what insurance evidence did Tui require?

Their website says 'cruise insurance' - my travel insurance is included with my home insurance and doesn't specifically say it relates to cruises, although cruises are included within it.

Do they just need an insurance certificate?

Thanks

You need a travel policy that specifically includes cruise cover and Covid 19 cover.

The Insurance document was looked at when we checked in for the cruise at the dockside terminal.  I had highlighted the date of the policy (I have an annual one which is included with my bank account) to make it easy to check.  It was a pretty brief glance, as I'm sure there are so many different policies the staff members don't have the time to read up in depth as to the level of cover.

Having said that, I would not cruise or travel in any way without adequate cover.  Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert) has been writing about this recently.

Thanks.

My cover does include covid & cruises (I have read everything I have) it's just that the policy is headed as 'Home insurance plus' or something similar. Maybe I could take the 150 page policy documents along as well!!

If you have any pre-existing medical issues, make they are covered by the policy. If you have any, and weren't asked to declare them when you took out the policy (as its not a travel only policy) I would make sure the insurer is aware, to avoid possible issues later.

16 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Interesting question

On ocean village years ago it was raucous -
It was our first ever cruise.

We were much younger then , stayed 7 nights in Barbados and then a 2 weeks cruise and I had just left a really stressful job - so we joined in and got wrecked most days - lovely big cabins, great staff and brilliant bands and night clubs , great fun.
The sail away party was a riot.
But not aggressive or badly behaved.

years later …

On some of the earlier very cheap Thomson cruises - people over ordering from the buffet , stuffing their faces and leaving lots of food , being rude to staff etc horrible chav like behaviour - “Butlins”

We have done one 4 night cruise on Fred Olsen which was basically a corporate piss up -

We got a great price on a suite so we enjoyed that and kept away from everyone else !

- ”Butlins light”

We only go adults only - so usually civilised - and minimises “family Butlins”

We have found that the  “Butlins”  stick together in the same bars / restaurants - and the “non Butlins”  similarly go to different bars etc -  so everyone settles down in their own comfort zones.

I think price ( major factor maybe ? ) - destination - time of year - adults only or family  - are all factors that determine the “%Butlins” - 

but they are everywhere - in varying  extents - on most lines.

Paul

Ah,Ocean Village(2)

Our first dip into cruising,great ship and agree with everything you say regards OV

When Ov departed our shores we moved onto Thomson/TUI/Marella and dont get the Butlins comparison

Cant say we,ve  witnessed anything untoward on our numerous cruises,yeah some cruises more partying/loudness than others but we,re content with that

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:53 PM, ferretktf said:

Are you aware of any covid cases on board this week?

Things to look out for are the "room service tray stands" that are placed outside the affected's cabin, until they can be offloaded to an ambulance the following morning.

on EX2 New Year, while we were aware of quarantine cases being disembarked all week, the majority of the passengers were unaware until the Captain was forced to give a (downplayed) announcement, followed by the mass testing - which at the time was a requirement for UK Re-Entry.

Are you having the mass testing today?  Not sure if it is still a Spanish requirement for disembarking? If so then keep an eye on your cabin corridor this evening as anyone who tests positive will be confined to their cabins.

Naturally I am hoping that EX has managed to stay Covid Free this week, which would be a tremendous positive after the shenanigans of the past few weeks

I was on board and there was no evidence of this at all. Felt incredibly safe. 

Just come off explorer this week. No suggestions that they had any Covid infections.

I did note that all week all the buffet service was being done by the staff - can be hard to get the amounts you want as they tended to give small portions and you have to ask for more.

On the last day I noted that the staff had been removed from the tea/coffee section of the buffet and you could serve yourself - I think this is a god sign.

• Thanks 1