Cruising in the Time of Covid:  Explorer January 19 – February 4, 2022, San Diego to Miami

forgap

9 hours ago, GoNavyFamily said:

Can anyone speak to historically how likely it is that children will be on the ship and if so, how that impacts the experience?

Very few.  As long as there's not a special such as "kids sail free" (which has happened in the past), and perhaps avoid holidays like Easter and Christmas, you will likely never encounter a child, and if you do, it will be a well-behaved, bored one.

• Haha 2

On 2/4/2022 at 5:45 PM, WesW said:

Thanks Bob and Aloha 1; we had a terrific 2021 Antarctica holiday voyage on Silversea.  If Regent offered Expedition voyages we would book, alas according to the CEO of NCLH, Frank Del Rio in a phone call to me a few years ago, Regent will absolutely not enter the expedition market.

Bob, took me a few years to get Ida to agree to go to Antarctica.  She not only was thrilled with the wildlife and scenery, she also  did a Polar Plunge (pix below)  with me.  Antarctica is a Home Run for scenery and wildlife, but South Georgia Islands is the Grand Slam for  wildlife (imagine being in the middle of hundreds of thousands of Penguins).   We will do Ushuaia to Capetown on Silversea in March 2023.

269942938_10224055264062956_7207007353441098786_n (1).jpg

wow... glad you are still the same since we've met last. All the best... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Very few.  As long as there's not a special such as "kids sail free" (which has happened in the past), and perhaps avoid holidays like Easter and Christmas, you will likely never encounter a child, and if you do, it will be a well-behaved, bored one.

:-)...we've encountered a few children on board. Two years ago, we had a family with a toddler, parents, grand parents etc... loved seeing them, usually at lunch... a joy to see. 

Then we had times when the children were 24 and older...and while not too noisy, hogged the hot tub all day 🙂 ...  but if you worry about kids running across the pool deck screaming...nope...never happened  

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Or during the summer. Our Med cruise in July 2019 from Barcelona to Venice had quite a few large family groups onboard. They had plenty of kids that were allowed to roam on their own. On excursions, these kids were also unsupervised, and quite rude to others, both cruise guests and locals. That was the last time we booked a summer cruise, and will never do so in the future.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:01 AM, GoNavyFamily said:

A correction and additional comments and questions:

It was the excursion in Acapulco that was really horrible, not Cabo, although that one was not very good either.

I did not even realize how many "normal" Regent activities were missing until I read everyone's comments. I am sad that so much was not included in our experience.

And a question....we have booked a UK cruise summer 2023 and another more exotic itinerary early Dec 2023.  On Viking, children are not allowed. While I love kids (I have 6 young grandchildren), I'm concerned about our experience if many children are on board. Can anyone speak to historically how likely it is that children will be on the ship and if so, how that impacts the experience? I can't imagine enjoying dinner, being on a tour bus or sitting by the pool with a lot of energetic children around me.

I agree your assessment of Acapulco - I don't EVER need to go there again.  IF I'm on a cruise that has that stop I would just stay on board.  

We never travel during the summer, too crowded with families and kids.  Usually we travel in Spring or Fall.