Worried I won't be able to get a test

carribbound

I am cruising Feb 5th on Horizon (fingers crossed). Is anyone else worried they won't be able to get a test? Our local health system just halted asymptotic testing. This includes testing needed for travel. Then I see headlines that CVS/Walgreens having limited hours due to staffing. I ordered 3 of the Abbot tests and hopefully they are not expired which is another thing I have been reading. So Nervous!

• Like 1

My wife and I are on the same sailing. Scheduling tests in the next 7 days are not easy, however I noticed I can schedule a rapid test at CVS as far as 13 days out (which have plenty of availability at the moment in my area). My plan right now is to wait until this Friday to schedule our tests for February 3rd. If I encounter any issues, then I'll order the tele-med Abbott tests that Carnival recommends.

Edited by mdin
  • Like 3

You all will be fine as long as you receive the proctored test kits before you need them. We used the Abbott BinaxNOW proctored tests from our hotel in Miami on Christmas Day. Navica app and eMed, works great 24/7. We didn't even have to print results, QR code and results right on phone.

Forgot to mention, our kits were free at local library and no charge from Navica/eMed for testing/results.

Edited by mondello
Add
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, carribbound said:

I am cruising Feb 5th on Horizon (fingers crossed). Is anyone else worried they won't be able to get a test? Our local health system just halted asymptotic testing. This includes testing needed for travel. Then I see headlines that CVS/Walgreens having limited hours due to staffing. I ordered 3 of the Abbot tests and hopefully they are not expired which is another thing I have been reading. So Nervous!

You will be fine. The BiNax Now tests are great. It’s so easy and quick. The tests they send will not be expired. Even if the date is passed, they have extensions. But I’m pretty sure we are past that phase.

If you ordered the BinaxNow test Carnival promotes you will be fine.  They expire in November.  We just went through this.  Followed Carnivals link and booked a test on Thursday before our trip on Saturday out o Long Beach at a Walmart pharmacy in Loma Linda CA.  They put a rush on test.  Results came back on Monday.  To late to help us.  Thankfully we had also ordered BinaxNow and did selftest with eMed on Saturday morning before leaving for port.  The only problem was trying to understand the proctors who were probably in India.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rogerpl said:

Does a three pack or six pack of emed test have to be registered  to a specific  person or can I buy six pack under my name for everyone in the family, thanks, Roger

Everyone. I had to add another user for my (minor) son. Also, went ahead and added wife as another user. You have to log out after each test and login for each user. Not complicated at all. Adding wife, it says any person you are responsible for their health concerns; I just added her to complete the test. No problem even though it may be more for adding kids, it worked fine for our family to just use my account. Also, at the port all tests will be readily available on your phone together in your account. Faster to find at check-in.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rogerpl said:

Sorry just to be clear.  I was sold three from a friend. So now I set up account with navica for me family but  no problem with ones i bought. Make sense.?  

Yeah, download the Navica app and register. When you're ready to test you'll be sent to the eMed site for the proctored test. I got my test kits free from the local library. They don't ask where you got them. You'll scan the bar code and/or QR code as first step before being instructed to open the kit. They will see the kit is legit, unexpired, and unopened. 

Note: there are home kits for personal use, pretty sure they say OTC on front, lower left corner, that are not proctored. Sorry to confuse anyone but you want the proctored kit to satisfy Carnival.

5 hours ago, carribbound said:

There was the store.optum.com website and I thought I saw another website. Does anyone know another website that has been on cruisecritic?

The Navica app will direct you to the eMed site to purchase the Abbott BinaxNOW proctored test kits.

On 1/16/2022 at 3:59 PM, carribbound said:

There was the store.optum.com website and I thought I saw another website. Does anyone know another website that has been on cruisecritic?

I have purchased the tests online from both Optum and Emed.  I chose Optum the first time because I could buy a smaller quantity, whereas (at that time) you had to buy a 6-pack from Emed.  Now that the expiration deadline issue seems to be fixed, I went ahead and bought 6 from Emed (and they arrived last week, with an expiration of Nov. 2022).

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 11:01 PM, mondello said:

On 1/16/2022 at 5:59 PM, carribbound said:

The tests can be ordered from either eMed (6-Packs only) or Optum (2-Pack or 3-Pack only)

eMed was $150 plus $35 FedEx shipping & Tax

Optum was $70 and $100 plus shipping (I think) & Tax

https://www.emed.com/waitlist?hsLang=en

https://store.optum.com/shop/category/tests-and-devices/covid-19-home-tests/

As of yesterday (1/20) Optum was all sold out

Recent/current expiration dates for product running are Nov/Dec 22

They do ask who is being tested when purchasing (It appears they generate a Rx prescription), but there is no connection to who purchased the kits, and the NACICA account who actually takes the test.

Personally - I set up a CVS test 13 days out, AND I have several eMed test kits as back-up in case something goes amiss for the CVS scheduled test. Also good to have some in the house as - you know insurance.

Just too clarify the proper names - try to eliminate confusion on the two similar named products. 

The Abbott Binax tests (as sold by eMed & Optum) are labeled the "Home Tests" and are the proctored versions usable for travel. The tests labeled as  "Self Tests" - typically sold locally in drug stores - or currently being sent by the government  are NOT proctored and not are usable for travel (and are less expensive. 

Same tests - just some are proctored, some are not. The Home Tests are more expensive as you need to fund the proctoring process. The Home Tests have the annotation on the cover to not open until instructed.

Make sure you are using the correct ones. 

• Thanks 3

I see the new email from Carnival today saying they are expanding their pre-cruise testing capacity at terminals, especially for short, 3-4 day cruisers ($10). I have 4 test kits left, same ones we used 12/24. Our son's school nurse sent out an email saying they extended the expiration date 3 months, in addition to the previous 3 month extension. I have not been able to verify that from Abbott. The extra 3 months will make mine kits usable for 3/26.

We tested fine in Dec. and hope to pass muster in March.

• Thanks 1

Leaving out of Port Canaveral in April. Is there a CVS around the port? Trying to decide how best to test for DD and I.  We sail out on Saturday. We could, to be safe, see if we can find test here before we leave Thursday. It’s hard picking to find anywhere here right now, though - especially for travel reasons. If I pay the $69 for the Abbott tests, two come in the pack, right? She and I could get a use out of one or would we need two to have two appts for each one with the Emed visit?

Edited by Cruzmomma77

13 hours ago, Cruzmomma77 said:

Trying to decide how best to test for DD and I.  We sail out on Saturday. We could, to be safe, see if we can find test here before we leave Thursday. It’s hard picking to find anywhere here right now, though - especially for travel reasons. If I pay the $69 for the Abbott tests, two come in the pack, right? She and I could get a use out of one or would we need two to have two appts for each one with the Emed visit?

The stated reason for selling two packs is if there is some sort of issue that makes the testing invalid - they recommend you have a spare available. For two people - purchasing a three pack is a reasonable compromise between cost vs Risk. especially if you have a local test available and keep the Abbott Bins tests as backup /emergency future use.

Unfortunately, at this pointing time, Optum (who sells the 2 and 3 Pack sets) is out of Stock, 

eMed.com still has 6-packs available for $150 & $35 shipping FedEx overnight.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

We purchased the EMed 6 pack yesterday after our scheduled CVS appointments got cancelled.  It was Approved Friday afternoon and is expected to ship overnight next Monday.  We have researched back-up plans (for a fee) if the tests don't arrive by Thursday, as necessary.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:07 PM, carribbound said:

I've used the Abbott tests twice now, it is so easy.  I too was very nervous about the whwole thing at first, but having the tests to do myself at home really made it easy and relatively stress free.  The worst part is waiting the 15 minutes for the result!

The Horizon is my favorite ship.  Have a great time!