If you have been offered a free upgrade lately, were you originally on Deck 6?

Pcardad

• Pcardad changed the title to If you have been offered a free upgrade lately, were you originally on Deck 6?

This is an interesting point as I was about to ask a similar, hypothetical question. We are sailing on Splendor in May in a G1 cabin - which is situated on Deck 6 aft. We booked early last year as a replacement for a cancelled cruise that replaced a cancelled cruise. This cruise has been waitlisted for some time.

I appreciate that by May things will, with any luck, be much better but I was wondering if anyone had had any experience which might be relevant if there continues to be a need for quarantine quarters.

on Splendor last week.  Entire deck 6 is closed off.  You have to access the gym via the spa and go upstairs.  We and our son and daughter in law were originally on deck 6.  We were advised a couple of days prior to the cruise that we were upgraded. 

5 minutes ago, RachelG said:

on Splendor last week.  Entire deck 6 is closed off.  You have to access the gym via the spa and go upstairs.  We and our son and daughter in law were originally on deck 6.  We were advised a couple of days prior to the cruise that we were upgraded. 

If Splendor is blocking off all of Deck 6 then there are a lot more cases than we thought......obviously 12 rooms were not enough.

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

If Splendor is blocking off all of Deck 6 then there are a lot more cases than we thought......obviously 12 rooms were not enough.

I think it is just a precaution in case they need more room as on our cruise last week,  apparently all passengers were negative.  I do know that there were some crew on quarantine.  My take though was it was easier, since the ship is not sailing anywhere near full, to have 6 blocked off ahead of time. 

Just now, RachelG said:

I think it is just a precaution in case they need more room as on our cruise last week,  apparently all passengers were negative.  I do know that there were some crew on quarantine.  My take though was it was easier, since the ship is not sailing anywhere near full, to have 6 blocked off ahead of time. 

They are no longer telling the passengers about cases - they have been told not to.

2 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Splendor had a HUGE amount of crew sick on the last cruise....and I know of some passengers as well.

Edited by Pcardad

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I've had clients (currently sailing) moved from 6 to 7.....they have indicated that all of Deck 6 is locked down.

Normally it has just been 12 cabins at the rear of Deck 6.

We are in an aft deck 6 Cat F cabin on the Feb 17th Splendor sailing, so I assume we are likely to be relocated. Could we expect to be informed of any change beforehand, or might we just be told when we board? Thanks very much.

We were on the Dec 8 to Dec 27th Splendor cruise.  Originally in cabins 623 and 625 About 10 days before departure we were upgraded to an F1 cabin on Deck 9 with no charge.  This cruise sailed with no covid restrictions for the first 9 days, but then masking and distancing applied for the last 10 days. On the last day of the cruise we were informed by Captain Serena that one crew member from the entertainment staff had tested, "inconclusive",   We disembarked the next day in Miami.  Seems like we got off just in the nick of time.  Deck 6 seems to now be OFF LIMITS!  

It was a lot more than 1 and then most entertainers got it on New Year's Eve. They are going to rotate in entirely new entertainers shortly. They are trying so hard to keep everyone safe...they deserve a lot of credit!

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That makes sense as far as having potential larger suites if you get moved from a name suite.  But if Regent is looking at potentially having approximately 20% of the passenger load in quarantine, I'm not sure what this is saying.  Up to now, all of the COVID-related quarantines on board that I have read about thus far seem to be pretty mild (or asympotomatic) cases so quarantine seems fine but at what point does Regent (or any cruise line for that matter) start to tempt fate and hope that all cases will contiue to be mild?  (Maybe this is where the vaccine and boosters really do come into play...)

We are still booked on the Explorer for February 20th (so will assume Regent is "reserving" Deck Six there as well.  Oh well, if I got downgraded from a Penthouse to a Concierge Suite, I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world... 😀)

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

If you can't access gym from Deck 6, how do you access with wheel chair or even walker?  It was bad enough you had to negotiate two steps from Deck 6, I can't imagine going up the steps from Deck5.

You can’t, unless you can handle the stairs from deck 5 up.  No way for anyone with wheelchair or walker.

4 hours ago, DarthCruiser said:

We are currently on Explorer in 610 (Concierge E) and have been "upgraded" to a Concierge D on deck 7 starting tomorrow.  The GM told us that they wanted to keep rooms to use for incoming crew to isolate.  We had booked the same suite for both segments.

That is certainly a possibility. I am not doubting that he said that...just wondering if Regent is standardizing what crew is allowed to say...

42 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

That is certainly a possibility. I am not doubting that he said that...just wondering if Regent is standardizing what crew is allowed to say...

We've seen a small number of reported guest cases (surprise, there's no testing of guests), but there have been some crew cases. A number of new crew members have been joining, and more tomorrow.  It's  most likely a sensible way to keep those infected and those just isolating in a common area.  It simplifies the logistics of dealing with those restricted to a suite.

4 minutes ago, DarthCruiser said:

We've seen a small number of reported guest cases (surprise, there's no testing of guests), but there have been some crew cases. A number of new crew members have been joining, and more tomorrow.  It's  most likely a sensible way to keep those infected and those just isolating in a common area.  It simplifies the logistics of dealing with those restricted to a suite.

True...but you are also not being told # of positive or any specifics because Regent (and most other cruise lines) are now keeping that information to themselves. Do you hear about cases...absolutely. Are the number of cases reported to the passengers every day...absolutely not.

11 hours ago, Pcardad said:

True...but you are also not being told # of positive or any specifics because Regent (and most other cruise lines) are now keeping that information to themselves. Do you hear about cases...absolutely. Are the number of cases reported to the passengers every day...absolutely not.

On our voyage the captain has been very forthcoming and states the number of new cases among both guests and crew during his daily announcement.  I hope he continues to do so.