Viking South America cruise on 1/25 cancels all stops except Chile

bootsiecat

We just got an email changing the itinerary of the Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise to eliminate not only the Falklands (announced earlier) but also Montevideo and Rio.  Our flights back to US from Rio are supposedly being rebooked if we use Viking Air.  They've locked the My Viking Journey site presumably to update it.  We now spend 3 days parked on shipboard in Valparaiso, cruise down the coast, turn around and come back.  They've added a stop at Puerto Chacabuco, Chile.  I had to look it up.  Its a tiny town on the edge of the Andes with a couple of national parks nearby.  

Well it is covid but I've had 2 previous cruises yanked out from under me.  I'm really looking forward to this third attempted cruise but I booked the precruise 2 day stay in Santiago and frankly 5 days in Santiago is a lot.  I'm hoping when they open up the excursions online again on the new itinerary  I can add some vine tours.  Though Chile is beautiful I will probably get tired of majestic mountains and waterfalls and excursions through national parks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bootsiecat said:

We just got an email changing the itinerary of the Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise to eliminate not only the Falklands (announced earlier) but also Montevideo and Rio.  Our flights back to US from Rio are supposedly being rebooked if we use Viking Air.  They've locked the My Viking Journey site presumably to update it.  We now spend 3 days parked on shipboard in Valparaiso, cruise down the coast, turn around and come back.  They've added a stop at Puerto Chacabuco, Chile.  I had to look it up.  Its a tiny town on the edge of the Andes with a couple of national parks nearby.  

Well it is covid but I've had 2 previous cruises yanked out from under me.  I'm really looking forward to this third attempted cruise but I booked the precruise 2 day stay in Santiago and frankly 5 days in Santiago is a lot.  I'm hoping when they open up the excursions online again on the new itinerary  I can add some vine tours.  Though Chile is beautiful I will probably get tired of majestic mountains and waterfalls and excursions through national parks.  

I spent a month in southern Chile in 2000 and returned on a Viking cruise 20 years later. I love the country! My advice: Make lemonade out of lemons and enjoy the extra time in Chile.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bootsiecat said:

You booked a cruise well into a global pandemic...you play,,,You  pay!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

You booked a cruise well into a global pandemic...you play,,,You  pay!!!

Could any of us predicted this would have lasted 2 years? Ugh! 😷Life was feeling somewhat back to normal last May when I booked our April 2022 cruise...now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the virus dies off this spring like last year. Happy Cruising.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bootsiecat said:

In 2020 we did our own pre cruise in Santiago with 2 days of private tours with a drop off at the ship in Valparaiso late in the evening.  I could of used two more days at least.  There was so much to see and do.  We loved Chile and would have liked to spend more days on the ship going around all the fjords and waterways in Patagonia. I covered our Santiago/Valparaiso, Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas, Amalia Glacier, Beagle Channel and Around Cape Horn adventures in our blog experiment at tomko2travel.blogspot.com if you are interested.  You will find all the chapters of this South America trip in the Archives and the months are the months when written not traveled.  I still havent finished Puerto Madryn, Montevideo or Buenas Aires but you are not going there anyways.   We love the great outdoors, hiking and scenery more then cities.

Edited by TayanaLorna
Added
  • Like 1

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2749513-viking-jupiter-december-22-2021/page/11/

Please make sure you read this thread and see the Liv Schrieber piece about his families quarantine in Chile on Jimmy Kimmel last week. You do not want to go to Chile right now. Look at your contract  of carriage. If you test positive the country where you dock hs the tight to remove you from the ship and yhe cruise line has no control.. In Chile this has been a disaster 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Since I really like sea days, I could spend this cruise cruising this area.  There is always something to see, and it’s utterly spectacular.  

Sign me up, 2-weeks sailing through scenic glaciers - brilliant. Probably won't all be in glaciers, but after spending almost 50 days at sea on Viking Sun, any sea day on Viking is way better than a day at home, doing chores.😁

• Like 1