Questions on Carnival/Vista

cruisinfly

Hi,

It's been 20 years since my last Carnival Cruise (been on the Fantasy and Celebration) and I have a few questions I am hoping y'all can help with. I've been cruising Celebrity, RCL, Princess, and NCL and am an experienced cruiser. I'm considering Carnival this time around because they leave from Galveston, TX (yes, I'm a Texan) and they have a cabin that fits a family of 5. So:

1. Are family harbor suites a good place to stay for a family of 5 with older kids? Any issues with them?

2. Is the only "suite benefit" priority embarkation? (No others, really?)

3. The drink package seems expensive. Does it ever go on "sale"? (might be cheaper for me to pay a-la-carte)

4. Is there a deluxe non-alcoholic drink package that includes specialty coffees? (seems to be only soda package or alcohol package)

5. Do they offer "sales/discounts" on their specialty dining either prior to the cruise or while onboard?

6. Any other "Carnival Specific" advice?

Thank you in advance!

Guest BasicSailor

I would say no to the older kids in Family Harbor not being sure of your kids age bracket. But it gets pretty crowded with younger kids and parents in the mornings as there is a smaller breakfast area. There are games a tv ice cream and so forth. The room itself not all that large. 

48 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

I would say no to the older kids in Family Harbor not being sure of your kids age bracket. But it gets pretty crowded with younger kids and parents in the mornings as there is a smaller breakfast area. There are games a tv ice cream and so forth. The room itself not all that large. 

There's no age restriction to enter the Family Harbor lounge,anyone with the proper room key can access it and hangout in it. The mini buffet works great for breakfast if you're looking for something simple eat with all the basics available (obviously nothing cooked to order). For adults the best thing about the lounge is the coffee maker; it's one of those fancy machines that makes a fresh cup to order so it's going to be the best tasting complementary coffee that's available right outside your room. Otherwise the cabin itself is no different other than the color scheme. 

• Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
Just now, kwokpot said:

There's no age restriction to enter the Family H arborlounge,anyone with the proper room key can access it and hangout in it. The mini buffet works great for breakfast if you're looking for something simple eat with all the basics available (obviously nothing cooked to order). For adults the best thing about the lounge is the coffee maker; it's one of those fancy machines that makes a fresh cup to order so it's going to be the best tasting complementary coffee that's available right outside your room. Otherwise the cabin itself is no different other than the color scheme. 

Thanks for the copy paste report, I knew that. Still don't think it's the best place for older kids.

6 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Thanks for the copy paste report, I knew that. Still don't think it's the best place for older kids.

What copy/paste report? I've stayed in a Family Harbor room so my write up is first hand knowledge. 

@cruisinfly Vista class ships had a specialty dining package available after the restart, haven't seen any mention lately. $60 for Steakhouse and 2 other venues, savings of $8/pp. Also, $38 for three venues not including Steakhouse, savings of $7/pp.

This was only on Vista class ships that have JiJis/Asian, Cucina/Italian, Bonsai Sushi, and Guy's P&A BBQ. 

Venues are inclusive on Mardi Gras and older ships don't have all the options.

As far as beverage packages, Carnival only has Cheers and the Bottomless Bubbles.  BB includes sodas and juices only.  There isn’t an intermediate non-alcoholic package that includes specialty coffees, mocktails, etc.  I wish they did because I’m a non-drinker who enjoys having more than soda and juice available in a package, and I’d be happy to pay the price.