Overnight Ports--can you stay on land?

JenniferLY

New to Oceania and our first cruise is coming up early March.  Can't wait!  If your ship has an overnight port during the cruise itinerary (where the departure is late the next day) can you choose to stay on land for the night? Do you have to arrange prior? Do you have to advise anyone of your plans and if so, when? Thnx

We have stayed off ship on overnights many times. You do need permission but we’ve never had it denied. There are some destinations like Petra and Luxor and Israel especially were it’s really the best way to see what is unique about the area. During these Covid times I’m not sure what the policy might be. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Poppyflip said:

Pre-Covid we were allowed to stay on land overnight. That rule has changed with Covid. We were told by Miami that we are not allowed to stay in a hotel overnight while in Bora Bora. 

So is it a universal rule or a Bora Bora/FP rule? 

Pre Covid, we did it often. Now, who knows?? Best option, as in most cases, is to give your specific requests to your professional TA and have them query Oceania directly based upon those specific situations, ports, and country.

I’m guessing there is no one size fits all answers to this question. Location matters!

Thanks all; TA got word from Oceania that its a no as of right now due to COVID. Bugger I was hoping to spend the night in Bora Bora in an OWB.  Not sure if its an O COVID policy or French Polynesia COVID policy.  

I'm wondering if this will change soon...due to be in BB mid-March.  Fingers and toes crossed 🙂

The Riviera recently unexpectedly stayed over night and an extra day (Grenada stop was cancelled) in Barbados.  They announced that the gangway would be out until midnight and back out at 6 AM.  They did not announce that you had to be back on board, so it could not have been a requirement.
I suspect this would be determined by the port authorities at the overnight location.  

Just to reinforce what LHT28 said, it is essential to let the ship's purser and other staff know that you will be staying ashore.  We stayed overnight in Porto a few years ago during a Silversea cruise and rejoined the ship in Lisbon the next afternoon.  All heck would have broken out if we had not been sure that the ship knew of our plans.  Why were we not on board, were we crime victims or ill, and departure would have been delayed until things were sorted out.  I would not have wanted to face an angry captain the next day and spent the rest of the cruise tied to the radar mast for all to see and learn from.  As it was, we returned to a nice "welcome home" table of goodies that our butler set up in our room.  

• Like 2