Vertical pole on balconies of many Edge-class Sky Suites -- bothersome?

Turtles06

We are considering an S1 Sky Suite on the Beyond, and I have a question for anyone who has sailed in one of the many Sky Suites on the Edge or Apex that has a vertical pole on the balcony -- did you find it bothersome in any way?   (For example, did you feel it spoiled your view, or hindered photography, or was in the way if you wanted to put two chairs next to each other?) 

I have done searches of the E-class cabin sticky and here in the broader Celebrity forum itself, and found just a few older (and I think pre-Apex) mentions of the poles.   I imagine the Beyond is being built the same way as the Edge -- modules of four staterooms in a row, with the vertical pole on the balconies of the two "middle" cabins of the four, hence my question.  (If anyone has an info to the contrary about the Beyond, of course please let us know.)   

And so that no one needs to repost the following two threads, I have read them! 🙂   thanks in advance for any feedback from those who have sailed in these suites.

13 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We are considering an S1 Sky Suite on the Beyond, and I have a question for anyone who has sailed in one of the many Sky Suites on the Edge or Apex that has a vertical pole on the balcony -- did you find it bothersome in any way?   (For example, did you feel it spoiled your view, or hindered photography, or was in the way if you wanted to put two chairs next to each other?) 

I have done searches of the E-class cabin sticky and here in the broader Celebrity forum itself, and found just a few older (and I think pre-Apex) mentions of the poles.   I imagine the Beyond is being built the same way as the Edge -- modules of four staterooms in a row, with the vertical pole on the balconies of the two "middle" cabins of the four, hence my question.  (If anyone has an info to the contrary about the Beyond, of course please let us know.)   

And so that no one needs to repost the following two threads, I have read them! 🙂   thanks in advance for any feedback from those who have sailed in these suites.

My wife and I just came off a week on Edge in a Sky Suite and previously cruised in an SS on Edge. This time we had the vertical column on the balcony I believe you are referring to. I found it to be of very little consequence. You're aware it is there but it isnt that large and it doesnt block any usuage of the balcony. Would it be better if it wasnt there? I guess, marginally, but I'm also certain it's needed to hold up something important! 🙂

Edited by miaminative0853
correct typos
  • Thanks 1

What cabin in particular are you looking at booking.   I have a list of #'s.  If you are concerned about photography, not having the pole might be of interest, or if you are a detail person and the pole might bug you because you know about it.  I just booked one of these for the same reason, but usually book sunset suites.  Deck 10, S2 was $500 cheaper.

Edited by Lastdance

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

It looks like you have all of Vt cruising's information on the photos, so do not need a list.  The photos and descriptions tell the story perfectly...she was such a gem and is missed on CC.

I agree, Vt was terrific and may she RIP

I'm not looking for cabin numbers; as you recognize, I do have them and can figure out what they'd be on the Beyond assuming it's built the same way.

All I'm looking for is feedback from folks who have actually sailed in a Sky Suite with the vertical pole. 

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, miaminative0853 said:

My wife and I just came off a week on Edge in a Sky Suite and previously cruised in an SS on Edge. This time we had the vertical column on the balcony I believe you are referring to. I found it to be of very little consequence. You're aware it is there but it isnt that large and it doesnt block any usuage of the balcony. Would it be better if it wasnt there? I guess, marginally, but I'm also certain it's needed to hold up something important! 🙂

Thanks so much for the feedback on your experience.  And also for the great laugh from your last sentence.  😃

BTW, just be sure we are talking about the same thing, this is the vertical column (thanks to @BeeMinor for the image in the E-class cabin sticky)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYpVwvkX_JfCrty6_uI_kDsVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1642969951

54 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

It looks like you have all of Vt cruising's information on the photos, so do not need a list.  The photos and descriptions tell the story perfectly...she was such a gem and is missed on CC.

I agree...we had such fun before Edge's launch discussing and speculating on what the ship would be like and her early reviews were great... really miss her input.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks so much for the feedback on your experience.  And also for the great laugh from your last sentence.  😃

BTW, just be sure we are talking about the same thing, this is the vertical column (thanks to @BeeMinor for the image in the E-class cabin sticky)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYpVwvkX_JfCrty6_uI_kDsVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1642969951

Yes, that's it. As the previous poster said it might bug you just because you know it's there but it really didnt get in the way. This photo makes it appear that it is farther from the balcony rail then it was in our suite. There were just a few inches from the back of the column to the railing. It actually came in handy one morning as I propped my feet up on it as I was surfing the web and drinking my coffee. Ah, to be back there and out of this 12 degree winter day! I'll take the column, gladly!

2 hours ago, miaminative0853 said:

MiamiNative - Do you recall if your balcony had a connecting door to your neighboring suites?  We have 2 neighboring suites on Edge (Deck 9) coming up and curious if there a way to connect the balconies/cabins.  Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Lily'sMum said:

MiamiNative - Do you recall if your balcony had a connecting door to your neighboring suites?  We have 2 neighboring suites on Edge (Deck 9) coming up and curious if there a way to connect the balconies/cabins.  Thanks!

I’m interested in this as well, we have connecting suites on Apex TA next fall, and connecting would be awesome for us… we just assumed they would be.

5 hours ago, Lily'sMum said:

4 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I’m interested in this as well, we have connecting suites on Apex TA next fall, and connecting would be awesome for us… we just assumed they would be.

I just got off of Edge today (SS 10159) and the balcony doors can be opened.  It was lovely to sit out in the afternoon with snacks and be able to chat and see our friends. 

14 hours ago, CruiserFromSC said:

I just got off of Edge today (SS 10159) and the balcony doors can be opened.  It was lovely to sit out in the afternoon with snacks and be able to chat and see our friends. 

We are scheduled to board Edge on 6Feb22 and will be in SS 10159.  We won't know our neighbors (yet).  Was there an aforementioned pole on the balcony?  Anything we would need to know about?  We're getting very excited!!  Thanks!!

Frederick

29 minutes ago, fsdorado said:

We are scheduled to board Edge on 6Feb22 and will be in SS 10159.  We won't know our neighbors (yet).  Was there an aforementioned pole on the balcony? 

As noted in my OP above and the thread to which I linked, the poles are on the balconies of the "inner" two of every contiguous group of four Sky Suites.  Looking at the deck plan, yours is one of the outer of four and thus should not have a pole.

Enjoy your cruise.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:34 PM, Lily'sMum said:

No, we were not in a connecting cabin.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:09 PM, fsdorado said:

We are scheduled to board Edge on 6Feb22 and will be in SS 10159.  We won't know our neighbors (yet).  Was there an aforementioned pole on the balcony?  Anything we would need to know about?  We're getting very excited!!  Thanks!!

Frederick

Sorry, Frederick, just saw your question.  Both my husband and I tested positive for Covid once we got home.  On the plus side, at least we didn't have to quarantine or isolate on the ship!  As has been answered, we did not have a pole.  I researched the deck plan beforehand and we chose these cabins just for that reason.  Unfortunately, I did not do this research before I booked the Beyond for a B2B in Sep/Oct and we do have a pole.  Princess problems, I know!

18 minutes ago, CruiserFromSC said:

Sorry, Frederick, just saw your question.  Both my husband and I tested positive for Covid once we got home.  On the plus side, at least we didn't have to quarantine or isolate on the ship!  As has been answered, we did not have a pole.  I researched the deck plan beforehand and we chose these cabins just for that reason.  Unfortunately, I did not do this research before I booked the Beyond for a B2B in Sep/Oct and we do have a pole.  Princess problems, I know!

Thanks for letting us know.  I hope you two get well soon!!

Frederick

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, blisman said:

How did you find out your Beyond rooms were going to have a pole?   

The cabins seem to be grouped into 4's.  If there are four cabins next to each other,  the middle two have the poles.  This repeats itself down the line.  You also have to be aware of a solid 'wall' that doesn't open between balconies for some cabins.  I sail with others so we have the dividers opened up.

PLEASE NOTE: The Beyond is longer with more cabins so not all cabin #'s for the Edge and Apex match up with the Beyond but based on deck plans I seemed to have figured it out and with recent videos of the Beyond, my 'research' seems to be correct.  😉

For example, on the Beyond. Deck 10.  Cabins 10140 through 10146 (group of 4) -  Cabin 10142 and 10144 would have the poles.  10146 would have a solid wall on the balcony on one side and the other side a divider that can be opened.  

Hope this helps. 

🍹