Departure ports...........Venice, Trieste or Ravenna?

ceejilly

Having committed to a B2B cruise from Venice to Athens, my thoughts are now turning to the obvious….what is the departure port???

I’m aware San Basilio (Venice) is not accepting cruise ships,  my thoughts then turned to Trieste whether they are taking on the burden but my TA has entered yet another contender, that being Ravenna with flights landing at Bologna!!

Twenty four hours later I was informed that as per Azamara’s current itinerary it states Venice will be the departure port but not San Basilio but rather at the Porto Marghera industrial complex.  Maybe not as bad as it seems as transfers to Venice start quite close to the causeway bridge linking the two.

I'm confused, is there anyone out there with better advice than what my TA has?

Thanks

CeeJilly

As a resident of Italy, albeit not a recent visitor to Venice, I believe that all three 'ports' that you have mentioned have been identified as candidates. Having said that, I think that Porto Marghera is the most likely for Azamara. Obviously not as convenient, but better for Venice. 

I just spoke with Azamara and was told that the Quest is just  a little over the acceptable tonage so that is where we are scheduled to dock. But...if it changes a shuttle will be provided. The dilemma is making flight reservations when the distance from port to airport is uncertain. Fingers crossed for Venice. 

3 hours ago, ceejilly said:

Having committed to a B2B cruise from Venice to Athens, my thoughts are now turning to the obvious….what is the departure port???

I’m aware San Basilio (Venice) is not accepting cruise ships,  my thoughts then turned to Trieste whether they are taking on the burden but my TA has entered yet another contender, that being Ravenna with flights landing at Bologna!!

Twenty four hours later I was informed that as per Azamara’s current itinerary it states Venice will be the departure port but not San Basilio but rather at the Porto Marghera industrial complex.  Maybe not as bad as it seems as transfers to Venice start quite close to the causeway bridge linking the two.

I'm confused, is there anyone out there with better advice than what my TA has?

Thanks

CeeJilly

Hi CeeJilly.  You might find it useful to have a look at the discussion "Venice Marghera" which was started on 15 January in the Azamara forum.

The representative said in the port Venice. I don't know if he was correct but he said an agreement had been made to allow the ships to dock even thought they are a little over the tonage limit. No sure if this is true. My cruise arrives in Venice in the a.m. and overnights there. 

10 hours ago, read2learn said:

The representative said in the port Venice. I don't know if he was correct but he said an agreement had been made to allow the ships to dock even thought they are a little over the tonage limit. No sure if this is true. My cruise arrives in Venice in the a.m. and overnights there. 

Be interesting to see if this does happen.

• Like 1

We end our B2B Quest in "Venice" on May 1st.  We usually book our own flights and transfers but last year Azamara docked in Trieste and as a result I added flights and transfers to my booking.  Recently I looked on the CruiseMapper website and it showed Azamara in Marghera the industrial port of Venice.  That means there is no sail past St Marks but is better for the environment.

Earlier in April the CruiseMapper website was showing Journey in Marghera - but that cruise has now been cancelled.

Currently no independent excursions are allowed in Italy but we hope that that situation changes soon.  

I believe all check in etc will be done at the the 'old' cruise port on Tronchetto and then we will be bussed to the ship.

We disembark Onward in Venice on the 13th May, the taxi we have booked for the airport transfer are saying the latest information they have is that if we dock at Porto Marghera we will probably be bussed to Marittima and they would pick us up from there.  Although from their wording nothing is certain at the moment, our flight is at 12.30pm from Marco Polo so we have a little wriggle room.

"If the customer arrives at the port of Marghera, it is likely that he will be accompanied by a bus to the port of Venice.
Therefore it is likely that the collection will take place at the port of Venice, as per booking (maybe change the pick-up time).
But it is still all a hypothesis."