Bergen, Norway

1 hour ago, travelbuds said:

Thank you. Did you have a long wait in the ticket line? Did you do a roundtrip ride, or walk back down to town? Thought about buying tickets ahead of time. Website says ticket office doesn't open till 8:30AM. Our ship docks by 7AM and leaves early afternoon so we want an early start for the day.

I remember the ticket line as not too short or too long.

It was actually the last thing we did before returning to the ship. We got back on the hop on hop off bus after the Funicular. Luckily, one came pretty much right away as we only got back not that long before all aboard (though when I pointed this out to DW she pointed out there were many in line behind us to get back onboard. I had my doubts whether we could get back on time, but DW insisted we would visit the Funicular.)

Our ship also docked before things opened and left earlier than we would have liked in the afternoon. Our first stop on the hop on hop off bus was the university. The museums there were not yet opened, but we had a nice walk through their gardens. Then we visited one of their museums. Our next stop was Kode, which had several art museums. (DW is an art teacher, now retired.) Then we took the bus again to the Funicular.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Thanks 1

My experience has been that there’s almost no line for departures early in the morning, and then it was much longer around late morning and mid-day before tapering off again in the afternoon.

In addition to the website and app, you can also buy tickets from the ticket machines (which accept card). Note that there are separate queues to buy tickets and to board the funicular.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

My experience has been that there’s almost no line for departures early in the morning, and then it was much longer around late morning and mid-day before tapering off again in the afternoon.

In addition to the website and app, you can also buy tickets from the ticket machines (which accept card). Note that there are separate queues to buy tickets and to board the funicular.

The website says ticket office doesn't open till 8:30AM. Are the ticket machines in the ticket office or can one access them separate from office? If so, maybe better to wait until we get there to check out the weather before buying tickets.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:04 AM, travelbuds said:

The website says ticket office doesn't open till 8:30AM. Are the ticket machines in the ticket office or can one access them separate from office? If so, maybe better to wait until we get there to check out the weather before buying tickets.

I haven't been there since before COVID, so I don't really remember. You probably ought to buy them online if you're worried you might have to wait.

If you're in port on a weekday, you could also consider stopping for a coffee on the way from the ship, and using the coffee shop wifi to buy the ticket (through the website or the app). [On weekends they probably wouldn't open early enough.]

14 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

You probably ought to buy them online if you're worried you might have to wait.

If you're in port on a weekday, you could also consider stopping for a coffee on the way from the ship, and using the coffee shop wifi to buy the ticket (through the website or the app). 

Scheduled to arrive by 7AM on a Friday.  May just wait till we get there. Do you remember if the ticket machines are inside or outside of the ticket office? Thanks.

16 hours ago, travelbuds said:

Do you remember if the ticket machines are inside or outside of the ticket office? Thanks.

I haven't been there since before COVID, so I don't really remember.

• Thanks 1