Ncl upgrade program

bklyn born

Just now, Lucinarei said:

Usually shortly after final payment you'll get an email that invites you to upgrade. You'll also get a banner on your NCL account that gives you a link to upgrade.

Not all bookings are eligible to upgrade and I'm not sure if there are different rules/practices for those bookings made outside of the US. Good luck if you do get the email! 🙂

Thank you very much for the reply. I will wait until final payment is complete, and then see what the options are. If not, I will ring and enquire.

We are based in UK, so yeah, you might be right! Thanks so much.

2 minutes ago, complawyer said:

please see my prior post. you are never guaranteed that ncl will send you an upgrade notice, nor is there any guarantee that even if you bid, the bid will be accepted. time wise, we are sailing on apr 8th from athens and i  received the upgrade notice over 3 weeks ago.

since we have 3 people in a haven 2 bedroom, even at the cheapest bid, the other cabins would have done me no good, as one of our friends is taking the other room and she needs the privacy.

my advice to you, is just to cancel your current reservation, and upgrade to an ocean view room or a balcony (assuming the costs are within your budget) 

this way you get the actual cabin you want and (and this is a big and) you wont be stuck in the inside cabin if you really dont want one.

finally, although there are no "set prices"  the notice will give you whatever cabins are available to be bid on, and a notice of a minimum bid and a maximum bid and all points in between.

obviously if  you bid at the max level, your chances are greatly improved. at  the minimum, not so much.

also remember that whatever you bid is multiplied X2.

Thank you for your response. I can’t really cancel and rebook as we’ve paid for flights, and all the other parts of the cruise including deposit.

I will hold out and see what materialises in the coming months. We aren’t desperate for an upgrade, however my I want to surprise my partner and see if we can get an upgrade.

I have been on cruises before so an inside cabin doesn’t bother me, however it may bother her. 

thank you for your response. It’s much appreciated. 

• Like 1

you dont need to change anything. remember the cruise itself is the same, the only change would be the cabin category.

i would suggest  (if you can ) call ncl directly, and ask if you can change cabins.of course if they let you there will be a price difference.  if you get the notice, and/or you are able to change, i recommend a balcony cabin. the ocean view is essentially the same cabin  as an inside maybe just a little bigger     but with a window. 

as they say, caveat emptor. you may get the upgrade, but end up with an obstructed  ocean view. ncl only guarantees the category upgrade, not a specific cabin or deck.

you may ultimately find your definition and that of ncl is re the upgrade is completely different.

as they say "be careful what you wish for....."

i apologize for the length of my 2 responses. we have been cruising with ncl since 2010 and have over logged over 15 cruises during that period.

i would hate to see anyone get disappointed after spending their hard earned $$$$

regardless of the outcome, have a safe and enjoyable cruise, and most of all " BON VOYAGE"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, complawyer said:

you dont need to change anything. remember the cruise itself is the same, the only change would be the cabin category.

i would suggest  (if you can ) call ncl directly, and ask if you can change cabins.of course if they let you there will be a price difference.  if you get the notice, and/or you are able to change, i recommend a balcony cabin. the ocean view is essentially the same cabin  as an inside maybe just a little bigger     but with a window. 

as they say, caveat emptor. you may get the upgrade, but end up with an obstructed  ocean view. ncl only guarantees the category upgrade, not a specific cabin or deck.

you may ultimately find your definition and that of ncl is re the upgrade is completely different.

as they say "be careful what you wish for....."

i apologize for the length of my 2 responses. we have been cruising with ncl since 2010 and have over logged over 15 cruises during that period.

i would hate to see anyone get disappointed after spending their hard earned $$$$

regardless of the outcome, have a safe and enjoyable cruise, and most of all " BON VOYAGE"

No need to apologise for the long message, it is appreciated. Especially given this is our first cruise together as a couple and her first cruise entirely.

I am going to wait until we get a bit closer as we don’t sail until September. It was just a curiosity question to see whether you can upgrade shortly.

There is some very good advice you have given. But again, like you say, for the sake of how much it would cost to upgrade, it might be best to stay where we are. I believe we are mid ship deck 5 or 6. Not even sure where is best, as long as it’s quiet I don’t mind. 

I think the room as in area inside the room is one of the reasons we might look to upgrade, and of course being able to see the sea. But for the price, it’s probably not worth it when you can leave the cabin, walk up a flight of stairs and stand and look outside

some people will agree with you  100%. if you just want a cabin in which to sleep , shower and change clothes, then the inside cabin should be sufficient.

on the other hand, i dont believe anything compares with sitting on your balcony with an ice cold beer or glass of champagne watching the world go by, or watching a sunset. 

as an aside, if youre not sailing until sept its really  to early to think about the upgrade offer.

my wife thinks im insane, but i'm totally anal about the cabins, prices and itineraries.

i know it's really none of my business, and i dont want to come off as being nosy, but if you wish, please let me know the dates of your cruise, the departure point and the ship.

sometimes when people post questions about their cruise before i answer, i look it up and see if my response would be helpful.

again, i dont wish to seem nosy or intrusive!

5 hours ago, RBrowny said:

Thank you very much for the reply. I will wait until final payment is complete, and then see what the options are. If not, I will ring and enquire.

We are based in UK, so yeah, you might be right! Thanks so much.

We have received the offer to upgrade with bookings through the EU, UK, and US NCL websites.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sicness4x4 said:

We have received the offer to upgrade with bookings through the EU, UK, and US NCL websites.

Oh that's brilliant, hope we get the same.

14 hours ago, complawyer said:

some people will agree with you  100%. if you just want a cabin in which to sleep , shower and change clothes, then the inside cabin should be sufficient.

on the other hand, i dont believe anything compares with sitting on your balcony with an ice cold beer or glass of champagne watching the world go by, or watching a sunset. 

as an aside, if youre not sailing until sept its really  to early to think about the upgrade offer.

my wife thinks im insane, but i'm totally anal about the cabins, prices and itineraries.

i know it's really none of my business, and i dont want to come off as being nosy, but if you wish, please let me know the dates of your cruise, the departure point and the ship.

sometimes when people post questions about their cruise before i answer, i look it up and see if my response would be helpful.

again, i dont wish to seem nosy or intrusive!

Yeah, I agree that second sentence sounds perfect.

We're going on the Norwegian Gem in September, sailing from Venice for a week - can't remember the date off top of my head.

rbrowny: hope you are the one i have previously corresponded with on an inside cabin vis-a-vis waiting for an upgrade offer

for what it's worth, there are 3 sailings in sept from venice . it appears that for the 1st 2 sailings, an inside cabin is $1299,$1249 and $1149.  so to try and upgrade to an oceanview, (if my humble arithmetic is correct) is $200 per person.

sept 4-11, 11-18, 18-25. for the 1st 2 sailings, the difference in cabin prices is approximately $1100, per person from an inside to a balcony

for the last sailing it's about $1200 per person. 

the "club balcony suites" all price out at 2599 per person for the upgrade which is $1350 per person from the inside suite.

all oceanview cabins price out at $1499and the last sailing in sept prices out at $1399 .

also, remember (if you haven't already been advised by ncl) due to current city regulations,  large cruise 

ships can no longer dock in venice proper. i believe they are now docking about an hour away.

i sincerely hope i havent overstepped any  bounds in checking these prices for you. if so, i am truly sorry, and if not i was glad to help out.

the only caveat, is i'm not sure about the changes available for bookings made from the u.k.

regardless of your cabin choice, i hope the 2 of you have a spectacular time, santorini and especially mykonos were my favorite, and i really am looking forward to spending a week -10 days in venice sometime in the future.

my wife still hasnt forgiven me for not taking her to murano glass factory        we're sailing in the middle of aug from stockholm to amsterdam

last but not least, sorry for the length of this post.

On 2/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, complawyer said:

rbrowny: hope you are the one i have previously corresponded with on an inside cabin vis-a-vis waiting for an upgrade offer

for what it's worth, there are 3 sailings in sept from venice . it appears that for the 1st 2 sailings, an inside cabin is $1299,$1249 and $1149.  so to try and upgrade to an oceanview, (if my humble arithmetic is correct) is $200 per person.

sept 4-11, 11-18, 18-25. for the 1st 2 sailings, the difference in cabin prices is approximately $1100, per person from an inside to a balcony

for the last sailing it's about $1200 per person. 

the "club balcony suites" all price out at 2599 per person for the upgrade which is $1350 per person from the inside suite.

all oceanview cabins price out at $1499and the last sailing in sept prices out at $1399 .

also, remember (if you haven't already been advised by ncl) due to current city regulations,  large cruise 

ships can no longer dock in venice proper. i believe they are now docking about an hour away.

i sincerely hope i havent overstepped any  bounds in checking these prices for you. if so, i am truly sorry, and if not i was glad to help out.

the only caveat, is i'm not sure about the changes available for bookings made from the u.k.

regardless of your cabin choice, i hope the 2 of you have a spectacular time, santorini and especially mykonos were my favorite, and i really am looking forward to spending a week -10 days in venice sometime in the future.

my wife still hasnt forgiven me for not taking her to murano glass factory        we're sailing in the middle of aug from stockholm to amsterdam

last but not least, sorry for the length of this post.

Hi, sorry for the delay in response.

I think it's the last sailing date in September, but I just can't justify the extra money from an inside to get a balcony or a window room. Unless we can some how bid and get an upgrade, but again, will have to wait till it's paid and closer to the time. We sail on the 25th of September, so not sure how different prices will be for that.

Yeah, I'm aware about the Venice port. We have an overnight stay in Venice first, and then we get taken to the ship the next day which is fantastic.

I absolutely can not wait, and think it will be an amazing holiday, and with your comments, they are truly taken nicely and something I am very happy to receive. I really appreciate the message, and there's no need to apologise for the length of response, your help is appreciated. I just wish it was cheaper as I can't see myself paying the extra prices.

Just now, complawyer said:

regardless, have a wonderful  time. we loved venice. i have even looked into buying a home there or in barcelona on the horrible chance that donald trump again runs for president and horror or horrors wins.

I've been to Barcelona and loved it, Venice will be a first for me. I've been told it's amazing to do for the day, but very expensive.

3 minutes ago, complawyer said:

make sure  you get to st marks square. my wife is still pi**ed off that me for not taking her to the murano glass factory.

I will make a note of these now. St Marks I've heard of, but the glass factory sounds fantastic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, complawyer said:

make sure  you get to st marks square. my wife is still pi**ed off that me for not taking her to the murano glass factory.

Take her to the Murano hotel in Tacoma as a consolation prize. There's a glass museum a few blocks away.  

cute post, and i know (or hope) you were being facetious), but obviously there is a world of difference beteen venice and tacoma. not much of a consolation prize. i think the wife would be massively pi**ed off if i even brought it up. 

besides, as ive posted before, we've gotten 100% spoiled. if i dont book a haven, she refuses to go

13 hours ago, complawyer said:

you can google it and look it up on you tube. marano glass factory. if im not mistaken, its a venetian institution

3 hours ago, Hutcha said:

Take her to the Murano hotel in Tacoma as a consolation prize. There's a glass museum a few blocks away.  

We are actually staying at one of the Murano Hotel's when we go, don't think it's the Tacoma one. Well obviously, as that's in America, but the one in Venice is where we're staying

susiesan, if you read prior posts, please be advised that just because you have booked a cabin, doesnt necessarily mean ncl will give you an upgrade offer.

also, ive mentioned before,  that the term "upgrade" seems to have a different interpretation by ncl as opposed to the general public.

be careful what you wish for you just may get it. if you bid on a ocean view cabin and are successful, you may get a cabin in a worse location, and horror of horrors,  get a restricted view. get  this cabin and you will have the joy and pleasure of looking out at the life boats.

so, susie, the only thing i can honestly say to you is " CAVEAT EMPTOR"  let the buyer beware, or in thr alternative, just see how much the costs are for an ocean view, and if not much different, just upgrade on your own. you will be able to pick and choose the cabin and the deck..

by the way (apropos of nothing really) my very good friend is on that cruise, and i'm seriously considering booking depending on the costs.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

My cruise is  August 16 , Norw Dawn Baltic, final payment date April 15, 120 days before. Once the cruise is paid for will I be able to try for an upgrade bid? I'm in an inside and would like to at least have a window.

I'm sailing in April, did my final payment yesterday, got my bid offer today.  Weird because my FP isn't actually due for another week.  But then I noticed prices had gone down, so upgraded and got a refund instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

I'm sailing in April, did my final payment yesterday, got my bid offer today.  Weird because my FP isn't actually due for another week.  But then I noticed prices had gone down, so upgraded and got a refund instead.

Prices on my sailing are way more than I booked at. That's why I am not requesting an outside cabin at this point. I would also lose many amenities if I change my reservation now from an inside to an outside.

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

Prices on my sailing are way more than I booked at. That's why I am not requesting an outside cabin at this point. I would also lose many amenities if I change my reservation now from an inside to an outside.

For this cruise, the "upgrade" offer from OV to Balcony was $150 minimum but with the rebook I'm getting $300 back - so essentially $450 ahead for the same room.  But I did lose some WiFi minutes and airfare - but still cheaper (it's a short, relatively cheap cruise). I can use points for airfare, so a better deal this time.  But for my August cruise, I used my NCL points to upgrade because prices have gone way up (and amenities down).  Not touching that cruise!

If your booking agent participates in the upgrade program, you should get an invitation to bid sometime after final payment.

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Was it considered a re-book and did you lose any perks like the number of included specialty dining meals?