Quantum vs Ovation for Alaska

jrapps

We are considering doing an Alaskan cruise either this summer or next. We prefer to go out of Seattle, and are excited to try a Quantum class ship. I see the 2 choices are Quantum and Ovation.

Any reason I should choose one over the other? I read somewhere that the Solarium pool area on Quantum was reserved for Suite guests only and it is not an "adult" pool. Is that right, or was that just when the ship was in China/Singapore?

Any other thoughts on one vs the other?

34 minutes ago, jrapps said:

We are considering doing an Alaskan cruise either this summer or next. We prefer to go out of Seattle, and are excited to try a Quantum class ship. I see the 2 choices are Quantum and Ovation.

Any reason I should choose one over the other? I read somewhere that the Solarium pool area on Quantum was reserved for Suite guests only and it is not an "adult" pool. Is that right, or was that just when the ship was in China/Singapore?

Any other thoughts on one vs the other?

There are not many differences between the ships.  Quantum is configured for the asian market right now and is supposed to be converted back once it comes to Alaska.  Solarium will become adult area again and Diamond Lounge will be back plus a few other changes.

I would look at the itineraries and pick the one I liked best.  One other thing to consider is Ovation is off the west coast and waiting for the Alaska season.  Quantum is still in Singapore and isn't supposed to come here until late April/early May.  Quantum was supposed to be here for Alaska 2021 but they cancelled their Alaska season and stayed in Singapore.  No way of knowing if the cruise line will leave it there again.  Quantum is supposed to go to Australia after Alaska but if Australia remains closed to cruise ships, Quantum Alaska could get cancelled again.  The Australia ban expires in mid February, I am impatiently waiting to see if they extend that ban again as we lifted and shifted from last May to May 2022 on Quantum.  Fingers crossed.