HAS ANYONE HAD

susan1957

My sister  tested positive (Jan. 13) on a rapid test and is going to do a PCR test which will probably be positive... and will get a letter from their doctor saying that she had COVID in January.  The cruise is Mar 26...This letter supposedly exempts her from having anymore covid tests.  Will Carnival honour this letter...

37 minutes ago, susan1957 said:

My sister  tested positive (Jan. 13) on a rapid test and is going to do a PCR test which will probably be positive... and will get a letter from their doctor saying that she had COVID in January.  The cruise is Mar 26...This letter supposedly exempts her from having anymore covid tests.  Will Carnival honour this letter...

Why does it exempt her? Covid can be contiguous more than once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susan1957 said:

The letter plus proof of the  positive test will allow her to cross borders in the 10-180 day period since her positive PCR test. It is not a free pass to board cruise ships. She will still need a negative antigen test for that. She should probably take at least one or 2 antigen tests at home  in the couple of weeks before her cruise to make sure she tests negative. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, susan1957 said:

The best thing would be is to ask Carnival what their policy is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mom says said:

The letter plus proof of the  positive test will allow her to cross borders in the 10-180 day period since her positive PCR test. It is not a free pass to board cruise ships. She will still need a negative antigen test for that. She should probably take at least one or 2 antigen tests at home  in the couple of weeks before her cruise to make sure she tests negative. 

10-180 day period is good for coming back to Canada but does it work for going into the USA ? 

16 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

10-180 day period is good for coming back to Canada but does it work for going into the USA ? 

I'm pretty sure the U.S. rule for entry is only 90 days. 

180 days is for coming back into Canada.

Edited by DirtyDawg

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

The best thing would be is to ask Carnival what their policy is.

Calling Carnival is problematic.  You can call three different people and get three different answers. 

Carnival's website only says you need a negative antigen test (if fully vaccinated) to cruise.  It does not give other options.  While that is clear to me a letter would not be accepted, some people have questioned it. 

John Heald responded to this question on Facebook and his response was clear.  The letter will not be accepted. She will need a negative test.  Which one depends on vaccination status. 

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I'm pretty sure the U.S. rule for entry is only 90 days. 

180 days is for coming back into Canada.

That is the correct answer. 

The US Rule is 90 days + a dr. note.  Canada Rule is 180 days - no note.

As far as anyone who as asked multiple cruise lines, all say you need the antigen test.  I haven't seen any first hand reports of this not being true.

Just now, CKCruising said:

That is the correct answer. 

The US Rule is 90 days + a dr. note.  Canada Rule is 180 days - no note.

As far as anyone who as asked multiple cruise lines, all say you need the antigen test.  I haven't seen any first hand reports of this not being true.

The question was will Carnival honour it.  Carnival will not. You require a negative test to board. 

For unvaccinated guests Carnival requires a PCR test. They are only granting a very small number of vaccine exemptions so the overwhelming majority will only require an antigen.  But I don't know the status of the OP's sister. 

Unvaccinated guests granted an exemption must abide by certain requirements and protocols, which include:Testing
  • Guests ages 2 and older must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test, taken within 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date at check-in...As part of the health screening process, unvaccinated guests must also take an antigen test at embarkation, and test again within 24 hours of debarkation on all cruises longer than 4 days.