Flying into Rome before cruise

5onadime

We are currently booked on a cruise departing on the 31st of May.  

My understanding of current protocol is that we will need to take ship excursions ( we are okay with this )

I do have a few questions....

1.  Can we freely tour Rome before the cruise?

2.  What is required to enter the country via plane ( negative test? vaccine card?). We are from the US.

3.  I was reading that we need a PPF2 mask?  I am unfamiliar with that.  

Trying not to feel overwhelmed.. Just having trouble finding accurate information.

It really doesn't matter what the current requirements are as they will surely change (probably more than once) between now and the end of May.

If you meet the requirements at the time to enter Italy there is no reason you can't tour to your heart's content prior to the cruise.  

Current info, from the official Italy tourism web site:

Measures valid until 31 January 2022.

Italy applies health-related restriction measures to incoming travellers, which may vary depending on their country of origin. The dispositions you must follow in order to enter Italy are given below.

Measures valid for travellers arriving from Argentina, Australia, Bahrein, Canada, Cile, Colombia, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, New Zealand, Perù, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, United States, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and British bases on the island of Cyprus but excluding territories outside the European continent), Uruguay, Taiwan, Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau. Anyone who has stayed or passed through one of these countries in the 14 days prior to entering Italy must:

1. Fill in the Passenger Locator Form before entering Italy. If you do not have suitable technological tools, you can download the printed version of the Passenger Locator Form.
  2. Present COVID-19 green pass or certificate on arrival issued by the health authority of their country certifying complete vaccination against COVID-19, performed at least 14 days beforehand, using a vaccine recognized by the European Medicines Agency (EMA). Travellers from Canada, Japan and the United States of America may alternatively present a COVID-19 green pass of successful recovery or certification of successful recovery issued by competent health authorities.
  3. Present a document certifying that they have performed a molecular swab test with negative result in the 72 hours prior to arrival in Italy, or an antigenic swab test with negative result in the 24 hours prior to arrival in Italy. The term for the molecular swab test is reduced to 48 hours for travellers from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

All of the above copied from this page:  COVID-19 (italia.it)

Check there for more current information as your travel date approaches.

It may also be useful to know that while sightseeing in Rome, you will be required to show a Green Pass or vaccination card (the equivalent for US citizens) to be able to go inside most sites and museums, restaurants, etc. 

The FFP2 mask is the same as what we call the N95 mask.

This article has some useful info. But note that a number of the requirements only are in place until March 31. If you are traveling after that you'll need to keep up with any changes.

Italy introduces new COVID-19 'super green pass' rules (lonelyplanet.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate the responses. 

I had read about the Green Pass but could not understand what it was or how we acquired one.  (This was the issue that started my worry )  Thank you for defining things so clearly and the useful links.