Best travel insurance?

Cruisingrampy

4 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Posting an update with regards to the Manulife Covid coverage.  We were in the US 1 day prior to boarding and one of our group tested positive (December 25th) .  A phone call to Manulife confirmed we would all be covered for our 'trip interruption' cruise portion.  This entitled us to $200 per person per day for meals and accommodation combined.  It also included a maximum of $500 in the event we had to rebook our flights due to the quarantine period.

Between all of us we did not spend near that cost and to date are still pending payment on the circumstance.

Outside of what I listed above there is NO OTHER expense coverage.  You would have to purchase medical in order to get medical or even the cost of the Covid test covered.

Thanks!! Nice to hear you had no issues. 

Our own medical plans do cover Covid, we checked so what you listed is exactly what I want. 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:53 AM, Roxxy said:

Posting an update with regards to the Manulife Covid coverage.  We were in the US 1 day prior to boarding and one of our group tested positive (December 25th) .  A phone call to Manulife confirmed we would all be covered for our 'trip interruption' cruise portion.  This entitled us to $200 per person per day for meals and accommodation combined.  It also included a maximum of $500 in the event we had to rebook our flights due to the quarantine period.

Between all of us we did not spend near that cost and to date are still pending payment on the circumstance.

Outside of what I listed above there is NO OTHER expense coverage.  You would have to purchase medical in order to get medical or even the cost of the Covid test covered.

I have attached a section of our policy where it clearly shows the medical coverage related and unrelated to covid. As long as you are vaccinated you are covered for medical expenses. 

7232EA5F-C61E-46CE-A9A7-EAB0BB6D2C43.jpeg

12 hours ago, mama-of-three said:

I have attached a section of our policy where it clearly shows the medical coverage related and unrelated to covid. As long as you are vaccinated you are covered for medical expenses. 

7232EA5F-C61E-46CE-A9A7-EAB0BB6D2C43.jpeg

Right, most people have medial coverage through their work.  I was only referring to 'Trip Interruption' coverage.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, Roxxy said:

So, nearly three months later, you’re still waiting for reimbursement from Manulife?  Is that how long it usually takes to reimburse insured expenses?

2 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Right, most people have medial coverage through their work.  I was only referring to 'Trip Interruption' coverage.

"Most" is a stretch. Only about 60% have private medical insurance of varying quality.

Provincial health plans offer very little coverage out of country and in fact strongly recommend purchase of 3rd party travel medical insurance.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 11:56 AM, ladysail2 said:

So, nearly three months later, you’re still waiting for reimbursement from Manulife?  Is that how long it usually takes to reimburse insured expenses?

to be honest, I'm not sure.  This is the first time in 17 cruises I have ever purchased and have ever needed to use insurance.  I have medical coverage through my company so I have never purchased additional insurance.  Initially, Manulife indicated it would only be a 45 day wait for reimbursement.  Trying to get thru to them on the phone is a nightmare.  The last time I spoke with an agent (early February) they said it would be end of March at the earliest due to all of the recent claims.

17 hours ago, Roxxy said:

to be honest, I'm not sure.  This is the first time in 17 cruises I have ever purchased and have ever needed to use insurance.  I have medical coverage through my company so I have never purchased additional insurance.  Initially, Manulife indicated it would only be a 45 day wait for reimbursement.  Trying to get thru to them on the phone is a nightmare.  The last time I spoke with an agent (early February) they said it would be end of March at the earliest due to all of the recent claims.

I hope you don’t have to wait much longer. With everyone recommending the company, I guess business has picked up but that leads to delays if they don’t increase their number of agents to handle issues.  Good luck!

• 1 month later...

With Celebrity potentially ending its Covid assistance program for cruises leaving after April 30 (so far at least it doesn't look like it has been extended), I'm starting to think about our July cruise.  I know a lot can happen before then, but has anyone found an insurance policy that will cover cancellation if you end up testing positive for COVID within 48 hours of the cruise and cannot travel? (I have to double check, but I believe cruise with confidence still applies, so I can cancel up to 48 hours in advance, but if testing is still required, the test is within the 48 hour window).

Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

With Celebrity potentially ending its Covid assistance program for cruises leaving after April 30 (so far at least it doesn't look like it has been extended), I'm starting to think about our July cruise.  I know a lot can happen before then, but has anyone found an insurance policy that will cover cancellation if you end up testing positive for COVID within 48 hours of the cruise and cannot travel? (I have to double check, but I believe cruise with confidence still applies, so I can cancel up to 48 hours in advance, but if testing is still required, the test is within the 48 hour window).

Thanks!

I’d like to hear this too…we cruise in September and are covered for medical, including Covid, but would need cancellation/interruption insurance for the cruise, hotel and flight costs.  Have been trying to contact manulife but lines are constantly busy…