Which companies have free or reduced 3rd passenger rates?

lilyafloat

Hi,

I'm just startiing to price up different options for our first cruise and P & O seem to be the only one offering free 3rd passenger rates. As it will be for 3 adults I'm finding it tough being asked to pay full fare (or nearly) for a room that is normally priced for 2 adults, now squeezing in a 3rd.

Hopefully there are some other lines that offer this but maybe only when they launch their new routes?

Thank you.

Most cruise lines will have specials now and then where the 3rd person is free and many have reduced rates for the 3rd person. Remember that the rate you pay is both for the cabin and for all of the included amenities, food, entertainment, etc. and the 3rd person will be enjoying that as much as person 1 and 2. (For our upcoming cruise we paid $589 each for the first 2 people and $299 for the third. This is on Carnival.)

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Sounds like he might eat as much as both of you…maybe they should charge him more…and paradoxically, there are times of high demand when the third person is charged even more than the first two…EM

I wish he did eat as much as us, unfortunately a medical condition limits his food intake. I will keep on searching and avoid those higher charges.

On 1/27/2022 at 1:19 PM, lilyafloat said:

Hi,

I'm just startiing to price up different options for our first cruise and P & O seem to be the only one offering free 3rd passenger rates. As it will be for 3 adults I'm finding it tough being asked to pay full fare (or nearly) for a room that is normally priced for 2 adults, now squeezing in a 3rd.

Hopefully there are some other lines that offer this but maybe only when they launch their new routes?

Thank you.

If you want the third person at a cheaper rate it is probably going to work out better to sail ex-Southampton rather than flying as that always requires three return flight tickets.  Most cruise lines do a third person at a reduced rate.  I should look at P&O, Princess, Royal Caribbean and possibly Cunard.  Note basic fare has to have drinks and some lines tips added and US lines tend to have more hidden charges.  The main thing is to do an itinerary you fancy.  Try dummy bookings on each website and the prices will show up.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back on topic - I believe most lines have “cabin-based” rather than “passenger-based” pricing.   Typically, one or two people in a cabin will (individually or jointly) pay the fare full the cabin - which some claim as unfair to the single traveler - who does not see that the line is selling cabins, and not individual passages.  The end result is that having a third (or possibly fourth) person using the cabin usually means that the per person fare works out to be a bit less.

• Like 1