Should I Be Worried About Capacity? - Westerdam Cancellations

wallyboag

Hello all-

We are booked on the May 28 sailing on the Eurodam. Today we read that the adjacent sailing on the Westerdam was cancelled, and those booked on Westerdam have had their reservations moved to Eurodam.

Perhaps I am being overly alarmed, but I remember how bad the Christmas holiday cruises were in terms of crowds and covid cases and missed ports because they were sailing at close to full capacity. I remember hearing stories about not being able to see shows because the venues were full and that it was difficult to find places to eat with long lines and reservations filling up because the reduced capacity of the venues did not meet the needs of the increased capacity of the ship.

Do you think it is wrong of me to worry about the same happening on this sailing? I don't know how much each vessel was sold, but I know the Eurodam is really not that much larger than the Westerdam, so even if both ships were at 50% capacity, moving Westerdam's guests to Eurodam would put Eurodam pretty darn close to full capacity.

Maybe this is just not worth thinking about? Just show up and cruise and go with the flow? Or should I book with another line that is staying under reduced capacities?

"Capacity" was still limited for those Christmas cruises as they needed to have a good number of quarantine cabins, correct?

We have no idea what the load on either ship currently booked is, so you can't assume the combined sailing is close to 100%

We have no idea what the Covid situation will be at that time. It possibly might be deemed "endemic" by that time (my estimation and prediction), so all of this might be almost a moot point.

We were on the Xmas cruise on the N Statendam and we went to every port and had a great time.  We could go to all of the shows we wanted to. It was definitely reduced capacity.  I think the issues started after the New Year, but hopefully as Covid went up it will go down.  It looks like that is happening in many areas now.  

It looks like perhaps like the Westerdam will start Sailing from Seattle in mid June (6/12).  Maybe the interest to sail was low enough that it didn't make sense to run both the Eurodam and the Westerdam during the month of May.

I wonder if the same thing will happen with the Crown Princess (Saturday sailing) and the Discovery Princess (Sunday sailing).

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1