Disembarkation at Southampton

TouchstoneFeste

Here's another one of those laundry lists of questions from a first-timer.

We're starting to work out the detailed logistics for our May 8th arrival in Southampton on the QM2. Specifically, we're about to book a car service to Portsmouth. It's surprisingly cost-effective compared against the train; and much more convenient for us old-timers. But I wonder how to fill out the booking info.

I understand that the pandemic has changed things, but I'm looking for the best information I can get at this point. I did search the forum, but can't find the answers to these questions. (I'm also pestering the providers mentioned below, but thought pestering you folks about actual experiences would be helpful.)

1) How much time should we allocate from our disembarkation time (Queen's Grill) to the point we'll actually meet the car and driver? That is, allowing for luggage pickup, immigration processing (we're US citizens), etc.

2) In the past it appears QG passengers disembark between 8:15 and 8:30. Does this still seem to be the experience in the COVID era?

3) Is there additional "COVID processing" during disembarkation?

4) We're considering using Luggage Forward (Cunard's provider of choice, right?) to ship home a bag filled with formal clothes. We ought to be able to make all the arrangements in advance, but on the Cunard site they mention arranging shipment onboard. Recommended?

5) Is this handled like our regular luggage - left in the hallway the night before? Or is it a separate process?

6) Cunard ships usually use Ocean Cruise Terminal, yes? Do they ever use another? Is this something you know before you embark (i.e., can we notify the car service in advance?)

7) How much should we tip the driver? (Just kidding. Please don't respond.)

We've used West Quay Cars for local journeys in the area, booked ahead for the date and then you give them a call when you have collected your luggage.

You tell them which ship you are on and they find it. You will get the planned disembarkation terminal on your eTicket but it does occasionally change.

3) Barring any further changes, the only Covid-related requirement for entering England in May will be to complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF). Assuming your voyage is less than 19 days, you would do this online before you sail. It may or may not be checked by Cunard before you board, and may or may not (probably not) be checked again on arrival at Southampton. From next week, there are no longer any testing requirements to enter England for the fully vaccinated.

6) Cunard don’t always use Ocean Terminal, no. Your e-ticket will tell you which terminal your ship is scheduled to arrive at.

Edited by gumshoe958

A lot of questions, but here goes!

1. Last week when we departed QG (from QE) we were given a choice of times to disembark. We chose 8.50 to leave the suite, after a pleasant  and Unrushed breakfast. Luggage was easy to collect in the hall within walking distance of gangway,so you could be meeting a car in 10-15 minutes of leaving suite.

2. Already answered.

3. Just keep wearing mask when leaving suite until in the outside area.

4. I would prefer to book luggage transportation in advance.

5. I don’t honestly know the answer. Could find out when on board.

6. It appears QM2 will be using a different terminal. Look at this https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/.    This continually gets updated

Ocean terminal is dock gate 46

7. Have a great time!

Thanks, everyone. I've had a few answers from the providers already. Still, feel free to respond if your experience is different.

Luggage Forward implies booking in advance is best (and I agree; I'd just feel more secure knowing it's taken care of). You disembark with the luggage you intend to ship, process it like the rest of your luggage in the terminal, hand it off to their representative outside.

West Quay sort of discourages pre-booking (which worries me; I want to have transportation solidly in hand ahead of time). They suggest, if I do book, doing it for 10am. Given @LadyL1's response, this seems quite late.