Any updates on Venice docking location?

curmudgeon98

We are looking at an Onward Croatia cruise that includes an overnight in Venice.  I'm familiar with the ban imposed on large ships using the Guidecca canal (which appears to include R-class size), but I'm curious what the situation is looking like for May.  An extra night in Marghera isn't especially attractive (though not the end of the world, either).  If they managed to get an exception to use San Basilio, that would be great, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

I'm mostly curious if they expect to use Marghera (most likely) or might be instead at Chioggia, Monfalcone, Trieste, or Ravenna, which have been sometimes used by other cruise lines since the ban.

I'm curious too, as we have a Croatian trip booked for June.  The port schedule for Porto Maraghera has the Onward scheduled to be there on June 11.   Is that considered the Venice "cruise port" which is a 15-minute walk from our hotel?  We would not be unhappy if the cruise started from Trieste as long as we can change our air.

Marghera is the industrial port on the mainland, not likely to be direct walking distance from any hotel.  My understanding is that for now, cruise lines using Marghera actually use Stazione Marittima (the old cruise terminal) for check-in since they have the space and passenger handling facilities and then bus the passengers to the ship at Marghera.  

If we actually have to use Marghera for the extra night on the May cruise though, it just seems like a wasted night; I think I'd rather get off early and get a hotel in Venice proper.

6 minutes ago, curmudgeon98 said:

Marghera is the industrial port on the mainland, not likely to be direct walking distance from any hotel.  My understanding is that for now, cruise lines using Marghera actually use Stazione Marittima (the old cruise terminal) for check-in since they have the space and passenger handling facilities and then bus the passengers to the ship at Marghera.  

If we actually have to use Marghera for the extra night on the May cruise though, it just seems like a wasted night; I think I'd rather get off early and get a hotel in Venice proper.

Our Azamara Croatia cruise starts with an overnight in Venice.  If it's Marghera, our plan is to stay at a Venice hotel before the cruise, and then use that first cruise day to take the train to Padua.  This makes Marghera even more convenient than Venice, since the trains from/to Venice go through Mestre.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our Azamara Croatia cruise starts with an overnight in Venice.  If it's Marghera, our plan is to stay at a Venice hotel before the cruise, and then use that first cruise day to take the train to Padua.  This makes Marghera even more convenient than Venice, since the trains from/to Venice go through Mestre.

Based on a couple of ships last fall, it looks like the larger ships used the Vecon container terminal, while somewhat smaller could use the Fusina RoRo terminal.  For Fusina it looks like you could at least walk out to get a bus or taxi.  The container terminal looks like a no-walking zone which would require a shuttle bus to get outside.

I like the idea of using the ship-based day to do a day trip elsewhere, as we would definitely want to spend a few days in Venice proper before or after.  Hopefully they will have shuttle busses which make a stop in Mestre and run fairly late in the evening.

It would appear that once you are onboard in Venice then you are currently subject to bubble tours although that could change.I believe the extra 9 berths for large vessels in Marghera were completed in September last year so I wouldn’t think Trieste will be used this year going forward. It is hard to get some definitive information on this.

• 4 weeks later...

I have received an email from Azamara confirming that our cruise starting on 4 June 2022 will be docking at San Basilio pier in Venice when we disembark on11th June. 

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
corrected name of cruise line

40 minutes ago, Mrmatt said:

I have received an email from Azamara confirming that our cruise starting on 4 June 2022 will be docking at San Basilio pier in Venice when we disembark on11th June. 

That's great news (although I don't see how it's possible under the terms of the Venice ban) – I hope it is true for you, and for me on Oct. 6.

San Basilio would be nice, but it's possible that there is some confusion between where the Port Agent's office is, and where the actual docking will be.  I think the port agent used by some of the smaller cruise lines has their office in San Basilio.  It would definitely be a plus if Azamara can dock there, though.

We end our cruise in Venice arriving on April 30th.  We have had no notification but Cruisemapper still has Quest docked at Maritima.  I would be really surprised if we actually dock in San Basilio since that would mean the ship entering the Guidecca Canal.  I believe that 'river ships' can still do this but despite some research I cannot find any Ocean ships being allowed through the canal.  Please do update us if you hear any more.

• Like 1

We’re on Pursuit April 16-23 Venice to Athens and haven’t had any information regarding port for departure. We’re staying in Venice 2 nights before and Lake Como too.  Anyone on this trip heard anything?

51 minutes ago, Tuscany4 said:

Isn’t San Basilio used for check in and disembarkation but buses used to ferry you to Marghera where the ship will actually dock?

This is the information I received from the taxi company I’ve booked for an airport transfer at the end of our Onward cruise in May.

1 hour ago, Tuscany4 said:

Isn’t San Basilio used for check in and disembarkation but buses used to ferry you to Marghera where the ship will actually dock?

I believe it is Marittima that is used for check in.  It is much easier to get a bus there (nearest point to mainland) than to San Basilio (all the way through Venice to the Guidecca Canal).

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I believe it is Marittima that is used for check in.  It is much easier to get a bus there (nearest point to mainland) than to San Basilio (all the way through Venice to the Guidecca Canal).

There is a parking area for cars and busses directly behind the San Basilio cruise terminal so it could be used for check in and disembarkation. Being smaller it would be much easier than using Marittima especially if there are other ships using it at the same time.