Covid Insurance question -from Costco

son3cruisers

Covid Insurance is offered through Costco, ( this is new) and we are reviewing the fine print. I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

We have always had good travel insurance through our work and also through our travel credit card. But this will be our first time leaving Canada with Covid restrictions and I have read on this forum that this extra coverage from Costco ($35pp) will cover any specific costs related to Covid, that our other insurance might not cover.

This quote here, under exclusions is where I'm confused and hoping someone can offer their insight or experience with it.

26. Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region, or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. This exclusion does not apply to claims for any medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory. Exception: This exclusion does not apply for claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary if you have received the vaccine. Children 11 years old or younger who are not eligible to receive the vaccine, are covered when travelling with at least one parent or guardian on the same cruise booking who has received the vaccine.

From what I understand, if we are going on a cruise, we will be covered (exclusion doesn't apply)? But if we decide to take a one week beach vacation then  this covid insurance would be invalid  because of the advisory we are under right now ?

"Avoid non-essential travel " is what we are currently under  not,   "all travel" . Does that also make a difference? 

I will call for confirmation but thought i would ask here first. 

13 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

Covid Insurance is offered through Costco, ( this is new) and we are reviewing the fine print. I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

We have always had good travel insurance through our work and also through our travel credit card. But this will be our first time leaving Canada with Covid restrictions and I have read on this forum that this extra coverage from Costco ($35pp) will cover any specific costs related to Covid, that our other insurance might not cover.

This quote here, under exclusions is where I'm confused and hoping someone can offer their insight or experience with it.

26. Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region, or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. This exclusion does not apply to claims for any medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory. Exception: This exclusion does not apply for claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary if you have received the vaccine. Children 11 years old or younger who are not eligible to receive the vaccine, are covered when travelling with at least one parent or guardian on the same cruise booking who has received the vaccine.

From what I understand, if we are going on a cruise, we will be covered (exclusion doesn't apply)? But if we decide to take a one week beach vacation then  this covid insurance would be invalid  because of the advisory we are under right now ?

"Avoid non-essential travel " is what we are currently under  not,   "all travel" . Does that also make a difference? 

I will call for confirmation but thought i would ask here first. 

Are you referring to this website?  https://www.manulife-insurance.ca/costco/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians.html

• Like 1

There are four advisory levels. 

• Exercise normal security precautions
  • Exercise a high degree of caution
  • Avoid non-essential travel
  • Avoid all travel

We are at 3, not 4.  That section would apply to 4.  

*but always verify with them

• Like 1

Just now, 1kaper said:

• Avoid all travel

However, the GOC's country-based advisory system has added cruising as a separate advisory, and it is at Level 4. Whether Costco has taken this into consideration remains to be seen, and the OP definitely needs to verify with the company.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1kaper said:

• Avoid all travel

Yes thats what I was thinking as well. Thank you. I will follow up with Manulife. Just curious as to others experience with it.

Edited by son3cruisers

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

However, the GOC's country-based advisory system has added cruising as a separate advisory, and it is at Level 4. Whether Costco has taken this into consideration remains to be seen, and the OP definitely needs to verify with the company.

Yes. Thats right. I did notice  an exception for cruises ( below) . The language can be confusing sometimes. Well to me anyway.

17 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

Exception: This exclusion does not apply for claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary if you have received the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

It is getting a little easier to obtain medical coverage for COVID issues on a cruise. We managed to get it through Blue Cross. They specifically said it is covered even if the advisory is still in effect.

Getting cancellation/trip interruption insurance for COVID is still extremely difficult. Our travel agent found one company that does so. It isn't cheap, though.