Hotel recommendation for Hong Kong

flifish64

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Kowloon which was very nice... Of course the classic Peninsula is outstanding if you can afford the price.  Another with a great location & view of the harbor is the Mandarin Oriental.

Edited by dabear
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, flifish64 said:

We will be staying in Hong Kong for  4 days, Dec 1-5 after our Solstice Cruise.  Does anyone have a recommendation on where to stay or must see while there.

Carol

Hotel question all depends upon your budget.  We've done everything from the Kimberly to the Peninsula.

As for must-see, a little info about what interests you would help a lot.  We spent a full day on Queen's Road East shopping for rosewood furniture (bought, crated, insured and shipped) for 1/2 of what it would cost here for both standard and custom design items.  Obviously, while it was a high point of one of our several trips, it wouldn't appeal to everyone.

• Like 1

We've stayed at the renowned historic and iconic Peninsula Hotel by the harbourfront, it was excellent and inexpensive.

Ooooops, my bad - a small typing error, I meant to type...............

"We've stayed next-door to the renowned historic and iconic Peninsula Hotel on the harbourfront, it was excellent and inexpensive".😉

It's The Salisbury Hotel, on Salisbury Road at Tsim Sha Tsui - the very tip of the peninsula at Kowloon A four-minute walk to the cross-harbour Star Ferry terminal, 4-minute walk to the waterfront Avenue of the Stars, 2-minute walk to Nathan Road.

Harbour-view rooms are on the 11th floor & above (the Space Museum across the road blocks harbour views from lower floors).

Ignore the YMCA tag in the hotel's title, it's irrelevant - this is a regular 3 / 4 star hotel.

Clean, modern, decent-size rooms with all the cons, hotel facilities include pool, fitness centre, dining options..

The hotel books-out early.

(if you want to watch the Hong Kong laser show (each evening, 8pm) from your harbour-view room, tune your room's radio to the local radio station which broadcasts the accompanying music - without the music the laser show is just an un-connected jumble of lights.

Step out of the front door & you're immediately in the heart of Kowloon. Star Ferries are silly-cheap, and run almost a continuous shuttle service across the harbour - ferries to Central (modern shopping) and to Wan Chai (the ecliectic Hong Kong of Suzie Wong). The island's rickety old trams connect the two, an experience vaguely similar to San Francisco's trams.

I could ride the ferries & trams all day. 🙂

https://www.booking.com/hotel/hk/salisbury.en-gb.html? 

We've also stayed at the Kowloon Shangri-La. The whole front wall of the harbour-view rooms is glass - amazing but expensive. Not as conveniently-situated as the Salisbury, about an 8-minute walk  the other side of Nathan Road. Prices of food & drink at the hotel are heavily loaded, we stepped out for even a coffee. 

All just MHO, as always.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

We have stayed over at least  3 times on five  pre-pandemic visits, each time either  on or very close to Nathan Road which is very convenient for transport, dining, shopping etc.   With so many hotel options in that area, it should be easy enough to find something to your taste.

With an abundance of sightseeing options, you might find the official Hong Kong Tourist board website  helpful as it icould help you decide what might interest you most to maximise your time there.  Whatever you decide you will probably enjoy it all.  HK is one of our most favourite cities in the world and is especially colourful in the lead up to Chinese New Year.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Hopefully you won't have to quarantine by then.

Star Ferry ride across the Harbour, especially at dusk or later. A tram ride up to The Peak on HK island where you get the (smog/weather permitting) postcards view of HK. Double decker trolley ride to the end of the line and back. HK subway ride across the harbour, sit towards the front or back, and look through to the other cars, you'll see the train "snake" through the harbour bottom. Ladies Street street market a few blocks off of Nathan Road in Mong Kok, where you need to be on top of your haggling skills.  

If you fly out, take advantage of the Airport Express train service. Free shuttle from most major hotels to the Airport Express station where the airlines have check in counters. Check in your luggage and get your boarding passes. 30 minute ride to the airport and steps away from immigration and security. 

This is all pre-covid so YMMV now☹️

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Definitely, stay at the Intercontinental and get a view room. We arrived late at night from LA, opened the automatic drapes upon arrival and I have to say it was one of most unforgettable vistas of my life. You will not regret it. It is also next door to a metro stop for crossing the river or going to Victoria Peak, etc. and next door to the ferry. I give this 100% approval rating. 

Loved our three night stay at Hotel Icon.  The restaurant is amazing with views across the bay, real high, and breakfasts are included and also as good as it gets.  I’d stay there again and prices are good.  My bet is that OP is set though.