Taking cash to Norway?

SarahHben

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

On the topic of new/replacement Norwegian Krone notes, this happened to us a few years ago.  We had a few of the £5 and £10 (50kr / 100kr) notes I think which were no longer useable, and the Norges Bank in Oslo was closed because it was the weekend.

If you have the same problem then you can actually send the bank notes off (there is a form on their website - in English) and the bank will transfer to your card the value of the old bank notes.  Fairly painless!

It did cost a £1 or so to send the bank notes back to Norway and yes there is always the risk that they get lost in the post, but given that they are worthless to you anyway, worth doing.  You can insure higher values.  All sorted in 2 weeks.

There are various websites who will take old notes in any currency and do the same, but there are often transaction fees and poorer exchange rates.  Clearly, if you have valid bank notes and do not intend to go back to the specific country then a bureau de change can also help.

Thanks for the advice. If I can find them, I will do as you suggest although I only have a small amount so it won’t make a huge difference to anything.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:05 AM, yorkshirephil said:

We usually take some cash and carry a debit card just in case. We never change any leftover cash back to sterling as we know we will likely be going to Norway again, plus with current interest rates a small amount of cash in a drawer is no biggie. 

Leftover cash. That's a concept I have tried to explain to DW. She doesn't get it .🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

. I was in Tromso (I think). A local gave me directions to the National bank but it wasn’t where he said it was so, as it was cold and snowy, I gave up. Last stop was Stavanger which probably has a National Bank somewhere but as the weather was stormy, the captain decided to deprive me of the opportunity to nip to the bank and back, by heading for home. ☹️

It turned out the Norge bank in Bergan was not an actual bank but a branch office. I found the address but no actual bank. A Norwegian lady helped me out, the office was on I think the second floor and there was security door access from the lift lobby, plus you had to phone to tell them you were there. she kindly used her mobile and someone came to the lobby, counted my notes, took them away and came back a few minutes later with the new ones.