The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

[T]he French Dip was just blah (sorry Benson, my good man) . . .

Not at all.  I learnt years ago that food is one of the most difficult things to objectively critique.  People's tastes are just too individually subjective for one man to accurately gauge another's liking or disliking of a dish.  (Barring, of course, something burnt, spoilt, or truly atrociously prepared.)

The French dip is a good case in point.  The Good Mrs. Benson took one look at the one I was served and wished she had gotten one herself.  Especially after I raved about it.  Two days later, she ordered it for lunch and found it O.K., but nothing to write home about.

The shoe's been on the other foot.  The GMB has insisted that I sample some dish she's having, because she finds it wonderful.  But when I try, my reaction is a shrug (or worse).

I understand your reasons for taking in the American Diner, but your comments on your evaluations of the food bear out my opinion that it'd be the same thing as dining at my local Steak 'n' Shake.

• Like 3

Yes it was a milk shake not an ice cream soda. I think my impression was poor because we left from NY and on the Breakaway, the Diner is totally outdoors and it was FREEZING and we were not dressed appropriately because the last ship we were on ( I think it was the Bliss or the Encore) it was inside. But even so, I'd rather eat the Haven burger in comfort ( and the frito misto and the cobb salad  and the Banana cream dessert). I think the Diner on RCCL is much tastier. But anyone who cooks, serves me and cleans up gets a star in my book.

2 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Also, is the Haven embarkation day lunch the standard lunch menu or something else?  Wife and are are still trying to decide where to eat first, as we wont' usually waste $$$ at the America Diner.

Standard menu. As others have noted, American Diner entrees are not great, but the appetizers are (especially if you like mozzarella sticks).

So here's another option for embarkation day: go grab just appetizers at American Diner, and then at/after 2pm you can order from the pool deck menu in the Haven. The Mahi Mahi Reuben is excellent (everything is really good, to be honest).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bundtkate said:

Super minor question: How are the upgraded bath amenities in the Haven? I'm not one to buy stuff at the salon, but normally I bring my shampoo, conditioner and shower gel because that all in one stuff is absolutely horrid. Packing that stuff is a pain so using what's provided for once would be a nice small luxury.

Lotion is lovely, the soap in the bathroom smells awesome - kind of citrus-y. I found the shower stuff to be a distinctly... masculine scent, like pine or some other wood. It was FINE, but not what I was looking forward to (more of the bathroom citrus scent).  I think the shampoo worked, but not as well as what I brought from home. Never use conditioner, so I couldn't rate that. 

Maybe bring a travel bottle of your shampoo from home and roll the dice on the rest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'll offer a different answer to the lunch question since several have confirmed American Diner is offered on the Joy, as well. Both times we've sailed NCL we have gone to American Diner on embarkation day. The first time, because we figured it would be something different than the Haven Restaurant which we would be eating in virtually every day/meal of the cruise.

The second time, because of the experience in American Diner. The milkshake (I'm guessing that's what @Treasure Hunter's ice cream soda is, but maybe not) is the best I've ever had. The second time, not quite so great, but still very, very good. American Diner has my guilty pleasure, mozzarella sticks! Our tradition (it's been two times now, ya know) has been to order a double order of the mozzarella sticks and the milkshake. We do not bother with dessert in American Diner as it's ho-hum (too rich for me). 

The actual lunch in American Diner, first time, was good. Not great, but good. The second time, it was ok. Definitely not good, well except those mozzarella sticks and the milkshake. For lunch we have tried the burger, chicken sandwich, and fried seafood basket. The seafood basket was small, but tasty. Our first go around with the chicken sandwich was that it was very tasty. The second time, again, it was ok. The burger has an odd after taste. 

Another reason we chose American Diner on the second cruise, and will again on our third cruise, in March, is that the Haven Restaurant's lunch menu is uninspiring and boring to us. Breakfast and dinner are great! We've had the ribs (dry and virtually tasteless), the French Dip was just blah (sorry Benson, my good man), the burger is similar to American Diner's (after taste and all), and the shrimp scampi was loaded with salt (and we enjoy salt, like, a lot). 

If you stick to the appetizers during lunch, then you may enjoy it (well, that's what we enjoy most). The seafood fritto misto is excellent, mushroom flatbread is good, and the cobb salad is very good. My husband hates grass and he will enjoy the cobb salad, with double the chicken, bacon, and egg! Regardless of where you go, don't plan to be super impressed with the lunch - I definitely get others have had better experiences. Maybe the shorts, flippie floppies, and t-shirt I wear to all meals affects the taste.

But, enjoy the Haven, the Mexican Riviera, and your wonderful Haven experience! It is really a wonderful way to travel! My grumbling above is me being very picky, so don't put too much stock in it. 

This is some what or an accurate review as I remember it.  As many will say, food is subjective.  I love, love, love great "Prime Rib" and the best place is "House of Prime Rib" in SF.  However I also love the cheapest McDonalds Burger meal.  How is that for a spectrum.  

My family wanted to go to the American Diner.  More for the cars which are the tables than the food.  Kind of like "Jack Rabbit Slims" in Pulp Fiction.  Since I love the Haven Burgers, I ordered something different.  I had the "Blue Plate Special" which is different every day.  That day it was, Roast Beef, Mashed Potato's, Gravy and Green Beans.  I loved it.  My family got everything from burgers to fish/chips.  They hated it.  See, relative. 

On eating lunch at the Haven Restaurant.  Lunch is also is my least favorite's meal in the Haven Restaurant. I used to get the Pork chop when it was on the Lunch Menu.  My favorite is the burger.  I also remember when you arrived, the Haven would have Hamburger sliders and tiny baskets of French fries.  

I want to add something that I really think is important.  When I did my Solo Trip in March, on the Joy again, I was forced to eat outside of the Haven every meal.  I fell in love with the 24/7 restaurant.  The Burgers, Chicken wings, even the hot dog which was big but of average quality (I still liked it) and the fries.  I even enjoyed the buffet for lunch.  I found the burgers their were good if you got them just as they were coming off the grill.  Not being in the Haven gave me an appreciation for the other options on the ship. 

The one thing we can all agree with is you are never hungry on a cruise.

Cruise well and enjoy every meal. 

• Like 3

4ish days to go until we're in the Haven on the Joy (well, I guess technically we're outside the Haven in an HI, but po-tay-to po-tah-to) so I spent today writing up our butler letter. I was approximately as wordy as @Sthrngary and might possibly hold the distinction of being the first person to notice the double spaces after periods in the template. Despite being theoretically too young for such things (I'm in my 30s), I was a double spacer myself and one of the founders at my work (who is actually a fair bit older than me) trained me to stop. I ended up putting in single spaces with a pang of regret. 🤣

I still have 2 days of work left, but my brain is already on vacation. Thanks so much to everyone here for all of your help learning how to make the most of the Haven. I haven't even decided where to eat on embarkation day (decisions are hard!), but I feel well-prepared and I'm sure our wedding cruise will be great!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

4ish days to go until we're in the Haven on the Joy (well, I guess technically we're outside the Haven in an HI, but po-tay-to po-tah-to) so I spent today writing up our butler letter. I was approximately as wordy as @Sthrngary and might possibly hold the distinction of being the first person to notice the double spaces after periods in the template. Despite being theoretically too young for such things (I'm in my 30s), I was a double spacer myself and one of the founders at my work (who is actually a fair bit older than me) trained me to stop. I ended up putting in single spaces with a pang of regret. 🤣

I still have 2 days of work left, but my brain is already on vacation. Thanks so much to everyone here for all of your help learning how to make the most of the Haven. I haven't even decided where to eat on embarkation day (decisions are hard!), but I feel well-prepared and I'm sure our wedding cruise will be great!

I am an unrepentant and incorrigible double spacer and that's about it.  They will get my sentences single spaced when I no longer type!  🙂

I hope your wedding is everything you dream of and the beginning of a beautiful life together.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

Not at all.  I learnt years ago that food is one of the most difficult things to objectively critique.  People's tastes are just too individually subjective for one man to accurately gauge another's liking or disliking of a dish.  (Barring, of course, something burnt, spoilt, or truly atrociously prepared.)

The French dip is a good case in point.  The Good Mrs. Benson took one look at the one I was served and wished she had gotten one herself.  Especially after I raved about it.  Two days later, she ordered it for lunch and found it O.K., but nothing to write home about.

The shoe's been on the other foot.  The GMB has insisted that I sample some dish she's having, because she finds it wonderful.  But when I try, my reaction is a shrug (or worse).

I understand your reasons for taking in the American Diner, but your comments on your evaluations of the food bear out my opinion that it'd be the same thing as dining at my local Steak 'n' Shake.

Yes sir, you are completely correct about the Steak 'n' Shake comparison! Maybe (just maybe) a little bit more upscale, but same level. I'm sorry her French Dip wasn't so great, but at least you had an excellent one! It is interesting that the food can be so different, even on the same cruise. Consistency should be key, though I understand crew contracts/supply chain issues/etc. 

Alas, I'm with you and very much enjoy the Haven experience! I can't wait to hear about your upcoming cruises, even the non-NCL one. 🙂 

15 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Yes it was a milk shake not an ice cream soda. I think my impression was poor because we left from NY and on the Breakaway, the Diner is totally outdoors and it was FREEZING and we were not dressed appropriately because the last ship we were on ( I think it was the Bliss or the Encore) it was inside. But even so, I'd rather eat the Haven burger in comfort ( and the frito misto and the cobb salad  and the Banana cream dessert). I think the Diner on RCCL is much tastier. But anyone who cooks, serves me and cleans up gets a star in my book.

Thank you! I was going to seek out the ice cream soda as that sounds interesting, in a good way? I think! I completely understand the uncomfortable nature of American Diner! In April, there were only two other Haven groups that went to the Haven (when we were there). It was overcast and chilly. Probably not quite as chilly as your afternoon, but I do agree American Diner is not for those cold days. 

I'm all for anyone cooking and cleaning for me! The serving - I accept it, but sometimes in the Haven it's a bit too awkward for me. If you couldn't tell, I'm a simple guy with a husband that enjoys being enmeshed in luxury. Don't let that comment make you think I don't appreciate the Haven servers. I do, and we often develop a great rapport by day two or three.

14 hours ago, palpieha said:

Standard menu. As others have noted, American Diner entrees are not great, but the appetizers are (especially if you like mozzarella sticks).

So here's another option for embarkation day: go grab just appetizers at American Diner, and then at/after 2pm you can order from the pool deck menu in the Haven. The Mahi Mahi Reuben is excellent (everything is really good, to be honest).

I LOVE this idea! It may be exactly what we do in March!! Thank you!

14 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This is some what or an accurate review as I remember it.  As many will say, food is subjective.  I love, love, love great "Prime Rib" and the best place is "House of Prime Rib" in SF.  However I also love the cheapest McDonalds Burger meal.  How is that for a spectrum.  

My family wanted to go to the American Diner.  More for the cars which are the tables than the food.  Kind of like "Jack Rabbit Slims" in Pulp Fiction.  Since I love the Haven Burgers, I ordered something different.  I had the "Blue Plate Special" which is different every day.  That day it was, Roast Beef, Mashed Potato's, Gravy and Green Beans.  I loved it.  My family got everything from burgers to fish/chips.  They hated it.  See, relative. 

On eating lunch at the Haven Restaurant.  Lunch is also is my least favorite's meal in the Haven Restaurant. I used to get the Pork chop when it was on the Lunch Menu.  My favorite is the burger.  I also remember when you arrived, the Haven would have Hamburger sliders and tiny baskets of French fries.  

I want to add something that I really think is important.  When I did my Solo Trip in March, on the Joy again, I was forced to eat outside of the Haven every meal.  I fell in love with the 24/7 restaurant.  The Burgers, Chicken wings, even the hot dog which was big but of average quality (I still liked it) and the fries.  I even enjoyed the buffet for lunch.  I found the burgers their were good if you got them just as they were coming off the grill.  Not being in the Haven gave me an appreciation for the other options on the ship. 

The one thing we can all agree with is you are never hungry on a cruise.

Cruise well and enjoy every meal. 

Thanks, I do attempt to be accurate, though I am completely known for embellishment too! Love your comment and I think it really best exemplifies what to expect in the Haven. Some food is great. Some isn't. And, no one should spend all their time solely in the Haven. Well, I suppose some may, because that's what they want (and lordy knows, I'm not going to judge them for that [ok, maybe a little, because I'm a bad person]). 

I thought I would go hungry on my first NCL cruise. I was woefully mistaken! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bundtkate said:

If you remember anything (my wedding day was one very long blur), please do come back and tell us how the Haven, the Joy, and how your wedding were! I can't wait to hear how amazing it was (can I say was in the past)! 

But, please, no double spaces. 😇 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It is interesting that the food can be so different, even on the same cruise. Consistency should be key, though I understand crew contracts/supply chain issues/etc. 

I take your comment on the inconsistency of quality.  In retrospect. that, rather than individual tastes, may have been why the Good Mrs. Benson didn't enjoy her French dip as much as I enjoyed mine.

I can state there was a distinct difference in meals I was served in the Haven Restaurant.  I enjoy prime rib, but I never order it in restaurants---even the best cuts are too riddled with fat for me, and once you trim it away, there's too little choice to make it cost effective.  However, since cost wasn't a factor, I ordered it twice for dinners in the Haven Restaurant (with a couple of lobster tails thrown in for measure).  

The first night I had the prime rib, it was one of the best cuts I'd ever had, surprisingly low in fat content and very flavourful.  The next night I ordered it, however, it was mediocre---more fat to trim away and a smaller choice portion.  The taste didn't have that "wow!" factor that the previous one did.

As I was draughting this, it occurred to me to wonder if a specific factor had to do with it.  The first night I had the prime rib, it followed the ship's captain's cocktail reception for Haven guests, so I was wearing my service dress uniform.  The second night I had the prime rib, I did was not in uniform.

It's not a strong suspicion, but I vaguely wonder if being dressed in my dress blues influenced, due to a variety of possible effects, how great a cut I received the first time.

Thank you for your kind words, and you can count on a trip review after our next Haven stay (and after the cruise with Regent, too, if you've a mind to check out the Regent forum after next November).

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yes sir, you are completely correct about the Steak 'n' Shake comparison! Maybe (just maybe) a little bit more upscale, but same level. 

Okay, I'm laughing right now, because dh and I LOVE Steak 'n Shake! I'm sure it's because they aren't around us, so we think it's a treat. We are scheduled for the Haven in July 2023 and you can bet I plan to eat there on the first day lunch (hoping that's still free by that point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

dh and I LOVE Steak 'n Shake!

I adore Steak N Shake, but it really does matter where you go. I'm originally from the Midwest where Steak N Shake is fabulous. Down here in the south they are franchises and the quality is much worse. They are totally different restaurants. If American Diner had a frisco melt, though, that would be an easy decision made. I would be there in a heartbeat.

@Sthrngary - I want to give you a shout out for this thread. Much as the Haven is a "ship within a ship", this thread is a "board within a board." It is informative and respectful, with no snark at all. I know everyone on this thread makes that happen, but you set the tone with your first post and continue to support it with all the subsequent responses. If all of CC or social media were like this thread, it would have a much better reputation.

I have just read through this entire thread in preparation for a Haven cruise in January. I have learned a ton, and it's making me really excited for the trip!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, bundtkate said:

I adore Steak N Shake, but it really does matter where you go. I'm originally from the Midwest where Steak N Shake is fabulous. Down here in the south they are franchises and the quality is much worse. They are totally different restaurants. If American Diner had a frisco melt, though, that would be an easy decision made. I would be there in a heartbeat.

I go there in St. Louis. My two siblings both ended up there and we moved my mom there a year ago into a retirement community. I go back 3-4 times a year now that I'm retired and try to make it there.

1 minute ago, wil e coyote said:

@Sthrngary - I want to give you a shout out for this thread. Much as the Haven is a "ship within a ship", this thread is a "board within a board." It is informative and respectful, with no snark at all. I know everyone on this thread makes that happen, but you set the tone with your first post and continue to support it with all the subsequent responses. If all of CC or social media were like this thread, it would have a much better reputation.

I have just read through this entire thread in preparation for a Haven cruise in January. I have learned a ton, and it's making me really excited for the trip!

@wil e coyote Thank you for the Shout Out.  BTW, I love your screen name.  If you read the thread then you know, my goal was for folks to have realistic expectations.  The foundation of why it was written was because at the time, there was little clear indication on how to get every bit of value if you booked or got lucky enough to have won a Haven Upgrade Bid.  

Social media is a strange place indeed.  Part of my tone was because I disliked the anger folks had.  Usually that anger was when someone called them out for making statements that were less then accurate.  I knew that everyone exaggerates and just wanted to make sure my writings was a close to reality as possible at the time of writing. 

I hope your Haven Trip is fantastic.  I envy you.  I am going out on the Breakaway on Sunday in a Club Balcony Suite.  I wish I was in the Haven.  Instead, this trip will be "Haven Lite".   Thanks again for the very kind words. 

Cruise well, enjoy every moment in the Haven.

• Like 1

NCL Needs In and Out!!!  Lol

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

NCL Needs In and Out!!!  Lol

The world need an "In and Out".  I am driving tomorrow to the Port of New Orleans for a NCL Breakaway Cruise out on Sunday.  I looked up if there was a "White Castle" on my way.  I know this is the dredge of burgers but I love them. No White Castle.  I know there will be no "In and Out".  So the moment I see a Steak and Shake, I am taking a pit stop.  

Cruise well and enjoy every Burger.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

The world need an "In and Out".  I am driving tomorrow to the Port of New Orleans for a NCL Breakaway Cruise out on Sunday.  I looked up if there was a "White Castle" on my way.  I know this is the dredge of burgers but I love them. No White Castle.  I know there will be no "In and Out".  So the moment I see a Steak and Shake, I am taking a pit stop.  

When ever I head to either Vegas or LA for work or pleasure the first place I go off the place is In and Out. Drives my wife crazy Lol

• Haha 2

I adore Steak N Shake . . . If American Diner had a frisco melt, though, that would be an easy decision made. I would be there in a heartbeat.

I, too, enjoy Steak 'n Shake.  Before they tinkered with it and made it a "frisco melt", their patty melt was the best thing on their menu.  But I don't sail in the Haven to eat at Steak 'n Shake.

It's coïncident that In and Out Burger's been mentioned a couple of times above, because that's the first place I thought of when the consersation turned to the subjectivity of individual food tastes.  Twenty-two years ago, I was preparing to go on leave in California.  I hadn't been to California very often, and a junior officer in my shop insisted that I visit an In and Out.  I'd love it, he said with the strongest possible recommendation.  Best burger ever,  LCDR Olson insisted.

So, I went to California, and on the first day, after leaving the airport, I popped into an In and Out, and sampled its fare.

It was---O.K.  Nothing wrong with the burger, but it didn't knock my socks off.  I've had better burgers in other places before and since.  Which re-attests that one man's ambrosia is another man's pottage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Steak and Shake in Hattiesburg on HWY  98.

• Thanks 1

American Diner :

Quinoa and Kale salad and the Red Beet and Watermelon salads with either Shrimp or Chicken . Really good, and it's why I go there if it's available on the first day. Both of these are really well done and not available anywhere else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:21 PM, palpieha said:

Perusing my plethora of downloaded menu's on the Joy, I don't believe I have one for the Pool Deck.  Is it the same as the lunch menu?  

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 3:54 PM, scooter6139 said:

Perusing my plethora of downloaded menu's on the Joy, I don't believe I have one for the Pool Deck.  Is it the same as the lunch menu?  

No, it's a reduced menu. I don't have a picture of it, but from my recollection some of the items: Mahi Mahi Reuben, Chicken Caesar salad wrap, Cheeseburger, maybe a grilled veggies/portobello sandwich?, tempura fried vegetables, ice cream sandwiches. They have fries or chips on the side. 

They call it a "snack" menu, but it's a substantial amount of food, and it all comes from the kitchen.

Of course there are also actual snacks set out that you can go get in the courtyard or observation lounge (depending on the ship) or the deck attendant can bring: gummy bears, cookies, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1