The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

Gents, it would be our privilege to encounter you and your significant others on a cruise.   (And, for you, cruiseny4life, for dinner, I'd leave my dress blues in the closet.)

As to the matter of dress, last week I came across an on-line article which perfectly described my feelings and attitude toward dressing for restaurants, and written much more eloquently than I could have.  I'm not going to re-post any of it here.  Cruiseny4life requested that this thread not open that debate and I respect his wishes.  But an overarching reason is because it wouldn't change anyone else's thinking on the subject.

Edited by CDR Benson

5 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

The only pants they will have on them will be the jeans they wore on the plane flying out from New York to Puerto Rico.   I personally think their shorts with a nice shirt (my husband is partial to Tommy Bahama shirts--both collared and non-collared) is a nicer look then some of the jeans and sweats I have seen.    

First off, I think slacks when talking long pants that are, I guess, more elegant than jeans. Pants to me could include underwear, so I won't even go there.

Anyway, on our honeymoon (a FEW years ago) in St. Croix, the men in the bridal party were in their tuxedo jackets, tuckets shirts, cummerbunds AND matching shorts

• Haha 1

We're sailing in less than 2 weeks and I'm updating my butler letter (it has worked out wonderfully for us on our last 2 sailings - @Sthrngary is a genius on this one) and have a couple of questions.

1.  Chips - we like afternoon sandwiches, and we always get them, but they come with plain potato chips (that we do not like/eat).  Ever seen other kinds of chips?  If not, we can just tell them we don't want them (waste bothers me).

2.  Luggage tags - we did not receive them this time around.  Is that an NCL $ cutback or are they still going out?  I suppose at this juncture it's too late to ask them to send them to us in time for them to get here before we leave a week from Friday.

Thanks. ☺️

Just now, mearsfansinboise said:

We're sailing in less than 2 weeks and I'm updating my butler letter (it has worked out wonderfully for us on our last 2 sailings - @Sthrngary is a genius on this one) and have a couple of questions.

1.  Chips - we like afternoon sandwiches, and we always get them, but they come with plain potato chips (that we do not like/eat).  Ever seen other kinds of chips?  If not, we can just tell them we don't want them (waste bothers me).

2.  Luggage tags - we did not receive them this time around.  Is that an NCL $ cutback or are they still going out?  I suppose at this juncture it's too late to ask them to send them to us in time for them to get here before we leave a week from Friday.

Thanks. ☺️

We got our luggage tags about six weeks out for our cruise next week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mearsfansinboise said:

Thanks. ☺️

We too received luggage tags about a month ago, for our cruise leaving Saturday.

I do agree, whether he admits it or not, @Sthrngary is a genius!

Chips - I've only ever seen plain. Do you like trail mix/chex mix/bar mix? Your butler may be able to secure this type of salty yumminess instead. No guarantees, but doesn't hurt to ask. 

• Like 1

@vacation44 @cruiseny4life thank you - so, I guess we are SOL on the luggage tags.  👎

Thanks for the info on the chips - I think I've only seen tortilla chips out and about and the plain ones in the room ... I'll just ask for no chips.  We don't really need anything else to go with the sandwiches, but if they had some good flavored chips I wouldn't have minded.  Not a biggie.

Appreciate it!

Oddly enough we did not receive ANY chips with our sandwiches on our 12 day in January on Getaway. Didn't think to ask why, but we noticed. They always get stale almost instantly from the humidity. Don't know if they were out or it was a cost saving issue - if they were throwing out leftover chips all the time they may have decided to only provide when requested. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

All I know is, in the Haven Restaurant and Ocean Blue, I wore my service dress blue uniform and they let me right in.

Good on you for still being able to fit into them! There's no way my husband can fit into his anymore. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hello my dear Haven experts!! I have a question. A controversial question. A question that will make some convulse. I'm sorry, but I have to do it, so that I prepare my husband and I for our cruise. 

Before asking, if at all possible, please just keep to this specific question. I really don't want to create a huge tangent (hence my hesitation in even asking this question). 

On our previous Getaway sailings, we were always allowed to enter the Haven Restaurant wearing t-shirts, athletic shorts (sometimes PJ pants), and flip flops. I've created a stir somewhere else with people showing placards that the Breakaway Haven Restaurant requires collared shirts and closed-toe shoes. Saturday, we'll be boarding Norwegian Joy. For those that have cruised frequently (and recently) on Joy (specifically), do you know if there is a dress code for the restaurant? Do they allow flippie floppies, t-shirts, and athletic shorts for all meals, including dinner? Or, are they more demanding requiring collars and sneakers?

Thank you...and please don't less this question take us through the whirlwind of where it could go. 🙂

We were in the Joy Haven three weeks ago. As far as I can tell, no dress code. I wore shorts and a nice collared shirt and sandals every time we dined there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

Good on you for still being able to fit into them! There's no way my husband can fit into his anymore. 😄

Thank you!  I weigh only five pounds more than I did when I had that set of dress blues tailored twenty-five years ago.  Admittedly though, my cargo, shall we say, has shifted a bit since then.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, GALSews said:

First off, I think slacks when talking long pants that are, I guess, more elegant than jeans. Pants to me could include underwear, so I won't even go there.

Anyway, on our honeymoon (a FEW years ago) in St. Croix, the men in the bridal party were in their tuxedo jackets, tuckets shirts, cummerbunds AND matching shorts

Agree.   I would normally think slacks when talking long pants.  However, my husband and son will not be bringing any of those either!   

3 hours ago, mearsfansinboise said:

@vacation44 @cruiseny4life thank you - so, I guess we are SOL on the luggage tags.  👎

Thanks for the info on the chips - I think I've only seen tortilla chips out and about and the plain ones in the room ... I'll just ask for no chips.  We don't really need anything else to go with the sandwiches, but if they had some good flavored chips I wouldn't have minded.  Not a biggie.

Appreciate it!

You are welcome.

Regarding the chip issue, chips are required for us in order to eat a sandwich!    I made my husband a sandwich over the weekend and did not give him chips (due to the fact we are leaving this Saturday for our cruise) and he said "how am I supposed to eat a sandwich without any chips!    But in your case, I am sure the Butler can find tortilla chips for you if you ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny Story:  Most you know me as the author of this revised thread and the original one done in 2018.  When I took my family on the NCL Joy it was the first time for my adult children to stay in the Haven. It was my wife an my 43 wedding anniversary and my daughters 31 birthday on the cruise.  No one in my family reads CruiseCritic.com.  They all make fun of me for doing so much prep and due diligence.  My daughter thought it was not necessary to have a Haven Suite. All she could talk about was how her bed would be uncomfortable because it was a pull down bed. The only thing they don't make fun of me for is paying for everything. 

When we got on the ship, I said, "Let's go drop off our carry-on luggage in our Haven Suite!"  It was not a question, it was a statement.  Now all of us on this thread know that dropping off your carry on even before your suite is ready is a benefit of the Haven.  However, when I made the statement each of my family members said, "No dad, that is against the rules.  Why do you always go against the rules?" They all actually got mad at me.  

As Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "Respect, no respect at all!"

The vacation was one of the best family experience we have had in a long time.  The ship was only 50% filled, We all had a adult drink package, my wife and I were able to upgrade to the Premium Plus Drink Package, the ship had two bottles of Tequila 1942, everyone had four nights of specialty restaurants, my wife won the slot tournament, I rented the Beach Villa on the private Island, and we were in the Haven Suite or all Suites the Deluxe Owners Suite.  It simply does not get any better than that.

For all those planners and organizers out there.  Don't stop.  But remember, nobody gets credit for a well organized vacation.  They just get heat when something goes wrong. 

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Funny Story:  Most you know me as the author of this revised thread and the original one done in 2018.  When I took my family on the NCL Joy it was the first time for my adult children to stay in the Haven. It was my wife an my 43 wedding anniversary and my daughters 31 birthday on the cruise.  No one in my family reads CruiseCritic.com.  They all make fun of me for doing so much prep and due diligence.  My daughter thought it was not necessary to have a Haven Suite. All she could talk about was how her bed would be uncomfortable because it was a pull down bed. The only thing they don't make fun of me for is paying for everything. 

When we got on the ship, I said, "Let's go drop off our carry-on luggage in our Haven Suite!"  It was not a question, it was a statement.  Now all of us on this thread know that dropping off your carry on even before your suite is ready is a benefit of the Haven.  However, when I made the statement each of my family members said, "No dad, that is against the rules.  Why do you always go against the rules?" They all actually got mad at me.  

As Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "Respect, no respect at all!"

The vacation was one of the best family experience we have had in a long time.  The ship was only 50% filled, We all had a adult drink package, my wife and I were able to upgrade to the Premium Plus Drink Package, the ship had two bottles of Tequila 1942, everyone had four nights of specialty restaurants, my wife won the slot tournament, I rented the Beach Villa on the private Island, and we were in the Haven Suite or all Suites the Deluxe Owners Suite.  It simply does not get any better than that.

For all those planners and organizers out there.  Don't stop.  But remember, nobody gets credit for a well organized vacation.  They just get heat when something goes wrong. 

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every moment. 

Our maiden Haven voyage and every one since has been better because of these threads you started and the advice you have given.  We appreciate you, @Sthrngary!

We have had absolutely perfect and accommodating Haven butlers too -- I hold my breath each time we sail because I know that no two are alike and I'm waiting for the dud to come.  But, as you advised, if that should happen, we have our letter, and we'll communicate with them to express our needs/desires.  And if we still have issues, we'll work with our concierge.  We had a minor issue on our last sailing, I don't even recall what it was, but I don't even think it was a butler thing, but I mentioned it - (not even to complain, more like to inquire) - to our concierge (Gian is the BEST) and he called our butler and took care of it on. the. spot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

Just off the Bliss; yes to the leather Haven Key holders, you will find them in your stateroom. @BrownEyedGirl686

Yes to potato chips with or without sandwiches. We started asking them on another plate so they wouldn't absorb the humidity from the sandwiches. . @vacation44

Thank you for taking time to answer. I appreciate it.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

Just off the Bliss; yes to the leather Haven Key holders, you will find them in your stateroom. @BrownEyedGirl686

Yes to potato chips with or without sandwiches. We started asking them on another plate so they wouldn't absorb the humidity from the sandwiches. . @vacation44

@mtrancher Thank you for the tip!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrownEyedGirl686 said:

Silly question are they still giving the card holder for your key cards? 

They were not in my cabin on Joy feb 24 sailing.  I’ve never seen them before but overheard a passenger next to me ask the concierge for them…so asked what they were and were given some too. 😁

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nmuller328 said:

Newbie Havenite- Getaway in 13 days- what are these & will they be on the Getaway too? 

@nmuller328 I am so excited for you.  My first Haven Suite was on the Getaway.  I really loved that ship.  Allow me to make some suggestions for you.  

• When You Board: You will be taken up to the Haven Lounge.  Usually they give you and hello talk.  Feel free to drop off your carry-on in your suite even though if you get on early, it might not be ready.  
  • Lunch When You Board:  You can eat in the Haven Restaurant or the American Dinner.  Everyone has a different preference.  For me, the best cheese burgers on the ship is at the Haven Restaurant.  Remember, food in general is subjective. 
  • Butler:  Sometimes the butlers are really busy the first day and they miss you.  If you have special requests or need the butler, ask at the Haven Lounge for them to make short visit to your suite. 
  • Haven Bar: My favorite bar on the ship.  Please during the week ask for a "Smoking Drink". It is a show and everyone at the bar enjoys watching it being made. 
  • Haven Restaurant: Regardless of meal, it takes a little longer to eat at the Haven Restaurant.  The service and food is usually excellent.  If you like Prime Rib and Lobster Tails, this is the place for you.  My favorite items is the Almond Croissants only available in the Haven. Specialty Coffee and juices are complementary in the Haven Restaurant. 
  • Room Service:  This is provided by your butler and there is no service fee.  Tell your Butler on day one that you want the room service food from the Haven Restaurant as long as it is open. Remember, the Haven Restaurant menu at each meal never changes which is why NCL gives you a few specialty restaurants during your cruise. 
  • Shows:  The main shows are not to be missed.  If the Beatles show is on board, get to the Cavern Club early to see them all. 

There is so much more to share but sometimes it is just nice to learn as you go.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@nmuller328 I am so excited for you.  My first Haven Suite was on the Getaway.  I really loved that ship.

Thank you @Srhrngary- I have read your thread here as well as every other Haven thread. I have a rough draft of our letter for our butler. We are so excited and can't wait for our Haven experience. 

Appreciate your personalized advise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1