Captain’s Welcome & Farewell Events

DunmowCruiser

On the Mariner currently - sporadically. Had a Captain’s Welcome but no Farewell on the last segment. It looks from the formal optional schedule that next segment will have no Welcome but will have a Farewell

On recent explorer cruise, no captain's reception, no farewell reception, no SS Society meet up, no block party.  Two formal nights that were underwhelming and I completely missed the first one by not reading the daily activities fully.  

IF--if these take place:  

CPT's Welcome Reception is (was) on 2nd night.  Time:  1800H.  CPT's Farewell Reception is (was) on penultimate night of that particular cruise segment.  Same time; same place, which is the Theater.  This pattern was consistent during Pre-Covid times.  

Our last cruise was October-November aboard Explorer's segment from Barcelona to Miami.  No Welcome; but there was an abbreviated Farewell gathering.  

It has been our practice to schedule a Specialty Restaurant reservation for that first night on the ship.

No Block Party; no SS Society gatherings on our last cruise.  Kinda missed the Block Party.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Update text.

Usually on the last evening onboard, right before dinner, there is the Krew Kapers in the Constellation Theater or Seven Seas Lounge on Navigator.  It is a crew show and not to be missed.  The officers, staff and crew appear at the end.  Right after that passengers either head to dinner or a lounge.  I believe the show begins a 6:00PM but correct me, if I am wrong on the time.  

Edited by NCCruzQueen

1 hour ago, forgap said:

On recent explorer cruise, no captain's reception, no farewell reception, no SS Society meet up, no block party.  Two formal nights that were underwhelming and I completely missed the first one by not reading the daily activities fully.  

yep, nothing, nada...  but I guess in Covid times, they tried to limit things. I do miss the block party... great way to meet your neighbors. This time... heck we didn't see anyone at all...  Formal nights are usually not "working" in the Caribbean, but more in the Baltic. Again, it's a hit and miss.  Too bad we didn't get a chance to meet you guys on the last trip. 

• Like 1

We are about to board Explorer. Since large segments of the USA and the worl are becoming unmasked, this also needs to return to normal cruise life. Soon folksv will start thinking that they are just trying to do less. In m many of these events it is easy to stay mostly distant….but if they are doing theater and tours, it’s rather questionable anyway… besides the demise of the mask brings into question this rule anyway…and I read that capacity was increasing w spring cruises.

On Splendor now and there were no welcome or farewell parties. There is a party for "frequent fliers" . Passengers who are repeaters. They had a special show along with cocktails and food.

The Krew Kapers show was at 6:00 and shouldn't be missed.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:39 PM, forgap said:

How long was the Explorer cruise that ncluded 2 formal nights? The formal nights seem to be pretty rare at this point. Was this a cruise that could be booked as one long cruise, but also as a number of shorter cruises?

6 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

How long was the Explorer cruise that ncluded 2 formal nights? The formal nights seem to be pretty rare at this point. Was this a cruise that could be booked as one long cruise, but also as a number of shorter cruises?

Formal nights have been held on cruises with 16+ nights.  Since so many sailings right now are in Caribbean, those cruises seem to be less formal.

3 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

Formal nights have been held on cruises with 16+ nights.  Since so many sailings right now are in Caribbean, those cruises seem to be less formal.

and it is always formal optional.  No "mandatory" formal nights.  Long gone.

• Like 2

O

11 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

16 nights SD to MIA.

Edited by forgap

13 hours ago, forgap said:

O

16 nights SD to MIA.

OK, I spent some time today going through my bookshelves, and I found the Passages that I saved from my last cruise on Voyager,  December 20, 2019 through January 7, 2020 (with 3 free nights included in Sydney after that). It was an 18 night cruise from Singapore to Sydney, and it it did have 2 formal optional nights. The first was on the second night of the cruise, after a day at sea. The second was on the 15th night of the cruise, after another day at sea. Since we also had Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve onboard, we saw formal attire on those evenings (including gowns and tuxes). Neither of these nights (nor the Holidays on the next day) were formal optional. We don't remember seeing any formal wear on the either of the formal optional nights, and just dressed "elegant casual" as we normally do for dinner in ship's dining room.