London on our own

Twitchly

We’re doing the British Explorer cruise next September, and we’re thinking we may do our own thing during our day in London. (I’ve been there long ago; DH has never been.) We’d like to see Highgate Cemetery (we love old cemeteries, and this is one of the best) and maybe the Victoria & Albert Museum. I saw them both years ago and think DH would love them.

My question for you experienced London-goers: how would you get around? I looked at tube routes, and there’s nothing remotely direct from Greenwich Pier to Highgate. Is Uber a good possibility? Or is there another transportation service you’d recommend?

We used to use the Tube but have dropped it the last few times due to crowding and dirt.  Possibly it is better now but for the most part it will involve a few changes from Greenwich starting with Docklands rail.  Andy has used this option before.  From Greenwich the most pleasant way to get to the central zone is the Thames Express boat.  Right from the tender dock in Greenwich to Tower Bridge or Westminster.  Once in the center we walk or hop a black cab.  Not the cheapest way but then what is cheap in London?  London is just about our favorite city anywhere.  🍺

I meant to say that from Westminster the tube will probably be a good bet for Higate.  At least half way by a nice boat ride..  We have taken cabs and private cars from Greenwich and it can be a real slog getting into central London.  

Highly recommend the Thames Clipper riverboats from Greenwich into London. Wonderful scenic journey along the Thames past Canary Wharf, under Tower Bridge, views of The Tower of London, Westminster etc.  

Journey to Highgate Cemetery is problematic.  Would take an hour from Westminster and involve tube, bus plus a walk.  You could also take the DLR (Docklands light Railway) to the City then change onto the tube.  Long way to go.  Seems a pity to pass St Paul’s, Westminster Abbey etc with wonderful historic Tombs if they are your ‘thing’.  The British Museum is splendid.  So many wonderful things to do and see in Central London.

Not forgetting wonderful Greenwich. The old Royal Naval College and Chapel, The Queen’s House and The Greenwich Observatory.

i didn’t know that Viking we’re coming back to Greenwich.  Recently they have used dismal Tilbury.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

We used to use the Tube but have dropped it the last few times due to crowding and dirt.  Possibly it is better now but for the most part it will involve a few changes from Greenwich starting with Docklands rail.  Andy has used this option before.  From Greenwich the most pleasant way to get to the central zone is the Thames Express boat.  Right from the tender dock in Greenwich to Tower Bridge or Westminster.  Once in the center we walk or hop a black cab.  Not the cheapest way but then what is cheap in London?  London is just about our favorite city anywhere.  🍺

When arriving in London, we always pick up an Oyster Card and do most travel on the Tube. From Greenwich, it is a bit of a pain changing to/from Docklands Light Rail, so I prefer to use the Thames riverboats to Tower Hill or Westminster. When staying in London, since the Merchant Navy Hotel closed, we use one of the Travelodges at Kings Cross, Fenchurch St or Waterloo Stations. Certainly not the best hotels, but reasonably priced/comfortable and certainly conveniently located.

• Like 1

Advice before leaving home is to check with your card provider - however the TFL website says most cards are accepted but of course it has to be contactless.   I see you are in Yorkshire.  I think cards from the North of England are widely accepted in London.

• Haha 3

The riverboat is a great idea! 

I think we’re going to try to stay above ground rather than take the tube, just so we can see more during our very limited time. For some reason, the ship leaves London at 4 pm after just one night in town, so we won’t have the whole day to tootle around. 

Haven’t heard any mention of Uber yet. Do any of you use them (or something like them) in London? I imagine they’d be cheaper than taxis.

15 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

i didn’t know that Viking we’re coming back to Greenwich.  Recently they have used dismal Tilbury.  

They’re apparently alternating between Greenwich and Tilbury. Our cruise is listed as starting in Greenwich. 

Where do Viking ships dock in Greenwich? The pier near the Cutty Sark?

13 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

They’re apparently alternating between Greenwich and Tilbury. Our cruise is listed as starting in Greenwich. 

Where do Viking ships dock in Greenwich? The pier near the Cutty Sark?

Moored to a large float in the river just off the pier at Cutty Sark.  Very short tender ride to the Thames Clipper dock.  Love to embark/disembark in Greenwich.  So much right there...

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Haven’t heard any mention of Uber yet. Do any of you use them (or something like them) in London? I imagine they’d be cheaper than taxis.

No Uber experience to share, but we have used an operation called Blacklane in the UK and numerous parts of the world. It's a private car firm, so not for the faint of wallet, but their service is truly outstanding - they've always been on time and very flexible in accommodating requests (such as odd pick-up or departure times).

Blacklane global chauffeur service | Upgrade your travels

London is a great city and an easy one to walk in the Westminster area. I'd echo Jim and others here - if your time is limited, you may want to consider the more frequently visited spots. Whatever you decide, enjoy! 🍺🥌

7 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

A contactless debit/credit card is easy to use on Tube or London Bus so no need for an Oyster card.

Affirmative, I have used my Visa at times, but prefer the Oyster Card for a few reasons.

If I have also purchased discount rail cards - seniors or 2 for 1, these can be applied to the Oyster Card, but not contactless payments. Therefore, the fares are cheaper when using the Oyster Card. I also prefer to keep my Visa card safely within its RFID protective wallet when on mass transit. Since we use the Tube a fair bit, I also don't want lots of small foreign exchange transactions on my Visa.

The Oyster Card requires a deposit, but it is fully refunded at our last stop in London.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

The riverboat is a great idea! 

I think we’re going to try to stay above ground rather than take the tube, just so we can see more during our very limited time. For some reason, the ship leaves London at 4 pm after just one night in town, so we won’t have the whole day to tootle around. 

In London, if not using rapid transit, we will use Addison Lee limos. Great service and cheaper than the regular black cabs.

If your preference is staying above ground and seeing the sights, we find one of the Ho-Ho buses is a reasonable option. You can start with a Thames Riverboat, then pick up a hoho bus.

1 hour ago, Cheekyrn1 said:

Is the Thames express also available when docked in Tillbury?  We will be docked there next month?

Sadly Not.  Website for Thames Clippers is www.thamesclippers.com  You will miss the lovely panorama of Greenwich and also going through the Thames Barrier.  Tilbury is not a very attractive place unlike glorious Greenwich.

7 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Sadly Not.  Website for Thames Clippers is www.thamesclippers.com  You will miss the lovely panorama of Greenwich and also going through the Thames Barrier.  Tilbury is not a very attractive place unlike glorious Greenwich.

Now now Mrs Miggins.  Some ole retired salts might be aficionados of container cranes.  And port side dive bar pubs.......🍺

Those of you who used Addison Lee, did you reserve rides ahead of time or did you just request them as you needed them? I just checked their website, and while their prices are similar to Uber, their wait times are about five times as long right now. (Uber could reach Greenwich Pier in 4 minutes right now; Addison Lee would require 20.) I’m guessing it makes more sense to reserve them in advance?

Thank you all for your great advice on London.  We will be spending 5 nights in Kensington (Doubletree) and 1 night in Greenwich (Doubletree)  ahead of our "Into the Midnight Sun" cruise July 15.  Hoping to get out to see Hampton Court, as well as take in a play, if they are going on.   Also hoping Viking Venus still leaves out of Greenwich.  With any luck we can just meander down to the tender area in Greenwich from the Doubletree on the day of departure.

25 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Also hoping Viking Venus still leaves out of Greenwich.  With any luck we can just meander down to the tender area in Greenwich from the Doubletree on the day of departure.

According to the website, you will be leaving from Greenwich.

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Now now Mrs Miggins.  Some ole retired salts might be aficionados of container cranes.  And port side dive bar pubs.......🍺

On all things nautical I defer to all the experts on this Viking board.  For all things Greenwich - we have just sold our lovely second home there - you must defer to me !

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

On all things nautical I defer to all the experts on this Viking board.  For all things Greenwich - we have just sold our lovely second home there - you must defer to me !

Of course I will.  We love the village feel of Greenwich.  And just a short  boat ride from Whitehall and all the other attractions.  Lovely pubs around Greenwich.🍺

• Haha 1