COVID Cancellation - use insurance or FCC?

jambp

My husband and I are scheduled to depart on Feb. 27.  He came down with COVID on the 13th, and I'm hoping he'll test negative with all symptoms resolved in time.  If he's not and we need to cancel, does anyone know if we cancel pursuant to their COVID policy and take the FCC, does the insurance we purchased transfer to our next cruise?  Or do we just lose it?  If we cancel with the insurance, we get 90% of our costs back.  I'm trying to figure out if there's an advantage to canceling using one method verses the other.  Thanks! 

Our experience was - I bought the Standard Insurance for two cruises (21 day & 10 day) and we both tested positive. We got 80% back and 20% in FCC. It was a lot of money and I didn't want it all tied to an FCC. The money we spent on the insurance we lost. 

And welcome to Cruise Critic @jambp!

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 2

I suppose each case is different. I tested positive two weeks before our 2/13/22 cruise even though I had no symptoms. We had purchased the HAL Platinum Insurance. Our TA handled the situation to our satisfaction. HAL gave us FCC which completely covered the cost (minus the deposit) of a cruise that we rebooked for 3/9/22. There was still $300pp FCC left which HAL applied to our balance on our 12/10/22 cruise. The cost of the insurance was ultimately lost. Also, trying to file with Avon Affinity, the actually insurance company, for cancellation fees etc is a lost cause. They only cover medical claims, lost luggage, trip interruption etc.

Edited by PROCRUISE
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 6:47 PM, canadarocks said:

Our experience was - I bought the Standard Insurance for two cruises (21 day & 10 day) and we both tested positive. We got 80% back and 20% in FCC. It was a lot of money and I didn't want it all tied to an FCC. The money we spent on the insurance we lost. 

And welcome to Cruise Critic @jambp!

Interesting that the FCC covered the percentage lost from the insurance claim.

Thanks for the responses! 

1 hour ago, Riversedge said:

I’m curious.  If he tested positive 2 weeks in advance and does a quarantine, why can’t you get a letter from a dr saying he recovered and is fit to travel?  Assuming he’s not still sick of course.  

He got a recovery letter yesterday!  I was just trying to make a plan in case we had to cancel, as he was symptomatic the first few days.  That said, we answered honestly on the health assessment, so now we have to go for secondary screening at the pier.  Hopefully all goes well, since we're flying in!