Advice please re Regent Navigator 10 night 2024 vs PG 10 night Tuamotu

DGK

We are trying to make a decision regarding what would suit us best.  Some background.....2013 we sailed on PG 10 night Society and Tuamotu's itinerary and absolutely loved it....we prefer ocean activities  over land based and unfortunately I am prone to motion sickness so prefer less sea days. I managed great in 2013 with the help of a patch.

Regent cruise is on a larger ship Navigator 490 passengers ( does have some vibration issues from my reading ) and the itinerary has two sea days and stops at Nuku Hiva along with Raiatea still goes to Rangiroa, Bora Bora , Favarava and Moorea Jan and Feb 2024   . The price for this cruise currently with special promotions is about $1,000.00 more than a Nov 2023 PG 10 night . The Regent offers free excursion with the cabin we are comparing too so with the unknown PG price we think it may be similar or even cheaper for Regent. The Regent also requires less down payment at this point.

We live in cold snowy Canada and only desire to travel to FP End Jan- end of March even though we are aware of the increase humidity and possible rain. Our cruising history is extremely limited and last time we added a 3 night pre-cruise stay at the Hilton Moorea which we plan on combing a land trip again. Air will be on our own. Unfortunately we don't have the opportunity to visit our dream holiday frequently and want to make the best decision for us . .  We are very aware of the change in management with PG as we did have a cruise booked previous cancelled due to Covid and also aware the Navigator does not have the same Polynesian feel PG will offer.

We understand many of you have much more experience so any comments suggestions greatly appreciated as to if we should jump on the Regent cruise to see some new islands and new experience or wait for the 2024 PG Itinerary , Many thanks in advance

21 hours ago, DGK said:

We are trying to make a decision regarding what would suit us best.  Some background.....2013 we sailed on PG 10 night Society and Tuamotu's itinerary and absolutely loved it....we prefer ocean activities  over land based and unfortunately I am prone to motion sickness so prefer less sea days. I managed great in 2013 with the help of a patch.

Regent cruise is on a larger ship Navigator 490 passengers ( does have some vibration issues from my reading ) and the itinerary has two sea days and stops at Nuku Hiva along with Raiatea still goes to Rangiroa, Bora Bora , Favarava and Moorea Jan and Feb 2024   . The price for this cruise currently with special promotions is about $1,000.00 more than a Nov 2023 PG 10 night . The Regent offers free excursion with the cabin we are comparing too so with the unknown PG price we think it may be similar or even cheaper for Regent. The Regent also requires less down payment at this point.

We live in cold snowy Canada and only desire to travel to FP End Jan- end of March even though we are aware of the increase humidity and possible rain. Our cruising history is extremely limited and last time we added a 3 night pre-cruise stay at the Hilton Moorea which we plan on combing a land trip again. Air will be on our own. Unfortunately we don't have the opportunity to visit our dream holiday frequently and want to make the best decision for us . .  We are very aware of the change in management with PG as we did have a cruise booked previous cancelled due to Covid and also aware the Navigator does not have the same Polynesian feel PG will offer.

We understand many of you have much more experience so any comments suggestions greatly appreciated as to if we should jump on the Regent cruise to see some new islands and new experience or wait for the 2024 PG Itinerary , Many thanks in advance

Interestingly I'm on the Regent Navigator on the January 28, 2024 sailing .... will have a group with me. I've been on the PG about 10 times  .... I love the ship and crew. For that reason I have a July 2022 group going with me on the 10 night Society/Tuamotus cruise. Regent is known for incredible service and it's food  .... similar to PG. PG may have a bit more local vibe but the Navigator is an all suite ship, smallest suite is 300sf, that is 50% larger than PG. Never been to the Marquesas so the one island up there on the Navigator sounds interesting.  BTW  .... the vibration people mention on the Navigator appears to only affect the rear cabins. Everything is inclusive on the Navigator, even the shore excursions.  

I was on the PG last December and have 3 trips on her this year followed by several more in 2023  .... then Navigator in early 2024. BTW .... the starting price for cruise only on the PG on the sailing date you mention ... on their web page is $4940. The starting group price on the Navigator is very similar but a few goodies are tossed in  .... you can't go wrong with either 😉

Thanks so much for your response , We agree with your expertise there is no wrong decision.

Now we just have to decide soon....  if we choose  Regent  the upgrade etc will expire end of the month .Decision time !

Another question please.... Any idea which cruise of the above two mentioned both Jan or Feb one larger with two sea days  and  going out to Marquesas would have more motion ?

At this moment we are leaning towards Regent as it is a different experience and hopefully another PG in the future.

WE are on the late January sailing  .... there are more open suites which allows a better chance at the upgrade you want. 

I've taken the PG 10 night Society/Tuamotus many times ... heck we have one this July. So  .... the Marquesas tossed in on a 10 night itinerary sounded good  .... something new. 

I'll likely do another 10 night PG July 2023  ....

I was on the RSS Navigator from Montreal to Iceland via Greenland.  I imagine that it's way, way above the PG in terms of luxury, service and food but the ship does have major drawbacks, especially the vibration which effects the stern end of the ship.  Make sure you take a cabin from the middle towards the bow, though your teeth will still rattle in the restaurants.  Also, Regent ships lack a proper front-facing observation deck which means you cannot get a great view ahead.  Jan-Feb is the traditional wet season with a lot of humid weather.  The seas around the Marquesas are often quite choppy.  The Regent cruise only skims the surface of the Marquesas, visiting just one island.  Personally I'd go for the Aranui trips every time.  

Edited by Fletcher