SKAGWAY: Morning or afternoon for White Pass Summit Rail Excursion?

RMLincoln

We booked an October cruise out of Vancouver; we'll be in Skagway October 4th,the end of the season!  

Holland America is selling 9am and 1pm departures for this excursion.  Any pros or cons you can offer?  I'm thinking about weather but there may be other considerations.  We have been to Skagway twice before, once in September and once in early June... both times it was cloudy/low ceiling and windy.  I was thinking that the trip would be comfortable enough from the inside of a rail coach but photography will depend on visibility.  We've never done the rail trip and it sounds like such a classic!  Thanks for your thoughts.  Maureen     

Morning trips are apt to be misty foggy low overcast clouds and cooler temperature wise.

In the early afternoon all this may have blown away or been burned off by the sun and

the temperature also warmer.

The cars are not air conditioned (who needs it in Alaska) but can be heated if necessary.

If taking the train to the Summit and back there is often enough time to have at

least one leg of the trip with good photo opportunities.

A guide book is furnished for each passenger on the trip.

About photography - all the WPYRR rolling stock has B-I-G windows and check with the

train attendant about going out on the platform between cars to take those NO Window

photos. If it is not raining horizontally the windows clear rather quickly 

I took the train to Carcross (a July trip), a morning departure.  Weather/environmentally wise, it was a most interesting trip.  Began with foggy, rather cool conditions; as the train proceeded higher, the weather changed and I remember four different kinds of weather/environmental conditions.  When we reached Carcross, the sky was clear and the Sun was hot.  Off went my windbreaker and my sweater!  Returning to Skagway, just the reverse, but, not quite the same extreme as the trip up the mountain.