Fly cruises and child seats

MX-Drew

As I mention in another post, we have booked on a fly cruise going out og Malta.

I wondered what other people do regarding young children (2 & 5 years old) and the seats in a coach.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience. 

I asked my niece who uses buses sometimes with her boys, aged 6 and 2, and the 6 year old sits next to her with the 2 year old on her lap. That is around here of course but used to go out to Portugal a lot before Covid, when she only had the one, and she said that he was always on their laps. 

7 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I asked my niece who uses buses sometimes with her boys, aged 6 and 2, and the 6 year old sits next to her with the 2 year old on her lap. That is around here of course but used to go out to Portugal a lot before Covid, when she only had the one, and she said that he was always on their laps. 

Thank you that is interesting information.

My TA is looking into options of a private transfer and hiring a car seat.

Just now, Ardennais said:

Are you worried from a safety perspective, or just worried that there won’t be dedicated seats for the children?

Safety and I had heard that the law in Malta required all children to use the correct restraint systems and seats. 

12 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Safety and I had heard that the law in Malta required all children to use the correct restraint systems and seats. 

I wonder how that works? Children travel long distances on school buses around here, from the age of 4, and only have to use the seat belt, 

40 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I wonder how that works? Children travel long distances on school buses around here, from the age of 4, and only have to use the seat belt, 

No idea how it works, that is why I thought I would ask as I didn't want to arrive at the airport in Malta only to be refused to board the transfer bus.

My daughter-in-law is mainly concerned (quite rightly) about the safety of her children.

I also wondered how the P&O excursions handle children of this age. P&O seem very lacking in their information in this area, even my TA can get little out of them and they refuse to speak to me as I used a TA.

Edited by MX-Drew

As regards to excursions, I wonder whether the children are expected to sit on laps as they don’t charge for children of that age (can’t be sure without checking, as mine were teenagers when we started cruising and they had to pay full whack). Your daughter is right to be concerned, and the information should really be on their website - such an easy thing to do, but can’t say that I’m surprised, unfortunately. 

Having booked flight, transfer and cruise with P&O, its there responsibility to get it right. You should not have to pay for a private transfer unless you want one. Your TA should be checking the correct position with P&O.

Unless P&O flights have changed their policy, your little ones OF ANY AGE, get an airplane seat and a coach seat.

We've used our car seat before on the plane and coach anchored by the plane or coach seatbelt. Do check that your car seat is plane certified if this option is chosen.

Excursions are a different department, and generally book non-fee paying children on laps unless local laws do not permit. The big point here is to make the excursions team aware that you are brining an infant - as they will only see how many tickets you've booked.

47 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Having booked flight, transfer and cruise with P&O, its there responsibility to get it right. You should not have to pay for a private transfer unless you want one. Your TA should be checking the correct position with P&O.

Unless P&O flights have changed their policy, your little ones OF ANY AGE, get an airplane seat and a coach seat.

We've used our car seat before on the plane and coach anchored by the plane or coach seatbelt. Do check that your car seat is plane certified if this option is chosen.

Excursions are a different department, and generally book non-fee paying children on laps unless local laws do not permit. The big point here is to make the excursions team aware that you are brining an infant - as they will only see how many tickets you've booked.

That’s very interesting information but the problem here is the difference between what is right by local law and what is safe. We have now opted for a private transfer as they can supply a child seat and a booster seat. For the record our TA said P&O said “it was up to us what we did but they do not supply a child seat and can not assure us that ours will fit”.

Edited by MX-Drew