Review of Ruby Princess SF-Hawaii 2.10-2.25.22

SWACK

Just got off of a cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii and back for 15 days.. Flew in from Buffalo 2 days early and got a chance to explore the area. Used Turo for the first time, a rental service much like AirB&B. It worked out well, with the car being delivered at the airport and I dropped it off at the port. Got in Tuesday morning, checked into our in-town old school motel, left our luggage there and took a dive across the Golden Gate. 

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7303.jpg

IMG_7475.jpg

IMG_7490.jpg

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

IMG-0983.jpg

• Like 2

Arriving in port was simple, and the lines moved easily. We had done 'proctored' covid tests at the airport, which we had ordered and brought with us. We simply connected to a website, and they watched us take the test and verified our results 15 minutes later. Our car rental was through Turo,  and we arranged to leave the car at a lot across from the port. We were checked several times for ID and new covid requirements as we went thought he process, and also got another test administered to us. We then waited for 15 minutes in defined groups until we could get our magic wristband that would give us final entrance. In all, it was less than 90 minutes from arrival at port until our first drink. 

20220210_141349.jpg

20220210_131900_01.jpg

Edited by SWACK
  • Like 2

We left the port on time, about 5pm, and did a fabulous sail under the Golden Gate and into the Pacific. 

IMG_7937.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

IMG_7946.jpg

IMG_7969.jpg

IMG_7980.jpg

IMG_7991.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

Edited by SWACK
  • Like 2

After sailing under the Golden Gate, we were on our way, but over 18 hours later we were on our way back, to get closer for an emergency evac. Took us over 9 hours to get close enough for the helicopter, which had to refuel on the way there.

20220211_181031.jpg

20220211_181025.jpg

Edited by SWACK

Overall, this maneuver took us a total of almost 18 hours to get back to the same position we were in and caused the captain to push the ship to the max to get into Honolulu on the proper day, 4 days later. 

37 minutes ago, SWACK said:

After sailing under the Golden Gate, we were on our way, but over 18 hours later we were on our way back, to get closer for an emergency evac. Took us over 9 hours to get close enough for the helicopter, which had to refuel on the way there.

20220211_181031.jpg

20220211_181025.jpg

Here is a story about the rescue.   Just another day at the office for these brave men and women. 

https://grizzly.shorthandstories.com/129th-rescue-wing-saves-cruise-ship-passenger-feb2022/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0l_yzIGgVG8YeMYoz8uQrIPXkIKjnQEM_zL0QAgvf22H_9KEsiCpz3VHw

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking us down your memory lane 🙂

As others have committed, great photos.

Also, thanks for your perspective on your 2 days in San Francisco. Living here I sometimes forget how first time impression are 🙂

Look forward to seeing more from your cruise!

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

The 5 sea days in transit were interesting. We were going in excess of 22 knots, and it was quite windy on deck, and overcast in the mid 50's, so we spent much time below deck. 

The ship was about 2/3rd's full, but still not too many lines. The demographics were interesting as well. I knew they tended towards the older crowd, but this ship, with 15 days in the middle of the year, had no children, and the average age had to be 70+ . As a 65 year old, I felt young in this group.

The entertainment  was geared older as well, and left me wishing for much more. There were 2 stage shows, 4 nights of comedy, and in the 15 days the rest of the big stage entertainment was instrumental soloists, or with the very good house band. In fact, the  vast majority of the entertainment was music-based. The small staff did a fantastic job of adapting games and show to the  crowds and covid restrictions, but they were stretched thin, and there were many times when there was nothing to do that did not involve listening to a musician or art auction-type revenue generators. 

We did participate in two of the smaller groups. My wife and I attended 6 different Ukulele lessons, where they provided the Ukes. And we also both made Leis, all for free after signing up on the 2nd day. 

Edited by SWACK

6  days in, we arrived in Hawaii. Because of the  delay, we arrived late into Oahu. Luckily we knew ahead of time, and I was able to log into the NPS page at exactly 3pm the day before and get new tickets for Pearl Harbor at the new time. There were tons of people in the wait-list line, and I hear later that many from the ship did not make it. I also was in contact with my Turo owner, and was able to adjust the car rental as well. I would have not been able to do either if I did not sign up for the internet package. 

IMG_8045.jpg

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8061.jpg

IMG_8069.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8096.jpg

Edited by SWACK
  • Like 1