Questions about land crossing and tests

Josie201

I know this is CRUISE critic, with a focus on cruising and our Canadian issues, but I have valued information gleaned here.

After two years, we are planning (hoping) for a weekend trip to Syracuse NY for some shopping, dinner at our favourite steak house, and a general change of scenery.  This is planned for the end of March and my fingers are crossed that the government will lift testing requirements again for the 72 hour or less trips.  But if they don't I'm planning ahead.

I know if can order the Switch Health tests and do those from my hotel room. 

I believe I can get an appointment at a Walgreens for a drive through test, which may or may not be free and results will be accepted for crossing the border.

I know I can pay at a clinic in Syracuse for a PCR test, in the neighbourhood of $125 plus.  Turnaround times vary.

I am wondering if any one has any recent or specific experience with the drive through options at Walgreens and how easy this is.  I would plan to make an appointment in advance for early in the day on Saturday before our planned drive back to Ottawa on Sunday.

Any recent or specific experience with US testing for Canadians (not flight related) most welcome.  TIA. 

I just used Walgreens last week for the rapid ID Now test to cross back into Canada for some day shopping.  They don't offer the Antigen test for travel right now in Washington State.  I got my results in 3 hours, so it was perfect to get a bunch of stuff done.  If Canada doesn't remove the testing requirements for short trips, I will do this again soon.  It is easy to make an appointment, you just have to do it in advance (7 days currently).  I used a friends US address and they didn't even check my ID when I went up to the drive thru window.

1 hour ago, Josie201 said:

I know I can pay at a clinic in Syracuse for a PCR test, in the neighbourhood of $125 plus.  Turnaround times vary.

Do they also provide less expensive antigen tests? While you have better options with Walgreens and Switch Health, if you do end up having to pay a clinic, antigen tests should be cheaper than PCR.

I think we'll try and hold out until there is further relaxation of the regulations. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

just made another booking for Walgreens for next wednesday.  Every other day before that is all booked up (Rapid ID Now).  Gotta do some shopping and get gas.

If they don't ask for ID....how do they put your name on the results email?  We are looking at walgreens for when we get off our cruise ship but we need to make an appt ahead of time. I CALLED them and they told me Canadians are $130...but free is much better!!

12 minutes ago, Luv2Cruze4 said:

If they don't ask for ID....how do they put your name on the results email?  We are looking at walgreens for when we get off our cruise ship but we need to make an appt ahead of time. I CALLED them and they told me Canadians are $130...but free is much better!!

When you make the appointment you put your name, address and birthdate on it.  It has all the information required for crossing.

18 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

When you make the appointment you put your name, address and birthdate on it.  It has all the information required for crossing.

I like it!!!  Going to give it a GO and make a reservation for after we disembark. We have the back up Switch tests we will take if it doesn't work in FL.

1 minute ago, Luv2Cruze4 said:

I like it!!!  Going to give it a GO and make a reservation for after we disembark. We have the back up Switch tests we will take if it doesn't work in FL.

book as soon as you are able to make a booking for that day.  Appointments go quickly.  I think Walgreens is 7 days in advance now.

7 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

book as soon as you are able to make a booking for that day.  Appointments go quickly.  I think Walgreens is 7 days in advance now.

We would literally have to book the day we board the ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Do they also provide less expensive antigen tests? While you have better options with Walgreens and Switch Health, if you do end up having to pay a clinic, antigen tests should be cheaper than PCR.

I think we'll try and hold out until there is further relaxation of the regulations. 

I only see reference to PCR tests at these clinics.